UK theme parks from another point of view!

Anonymous

Alton's lack of anything for years!

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:34 pm

hi everyone.
im ollie and im a rollercoaster enthusiast. i love AT and theme parks in general.
i have posted this as i am getting more and more concerned that alton towers is having what happened to chessington done to it. it seems that thorpe park is getting all the good rides in the merlin group and AT is getting nothing. i preffered alton towers a few years ago espescially before they gave in to all the neigbours. they should have told them to get lost as since then nothing gets approved planning.
i cant see a bright future for AT, i would love to be proved wrong and them create an amazing rollercoaster but i dought this will happen. the last ride they added was rita which is an ok ride but not any where near on parr with nemesis. i really do think the only good rollercoaster in AT is nemesis. dont get me wrong im so glad thats in AT cause it is amazing but the park needs more. air in my opinion is not very good and oblivion is a one trick pony and not a great trick at that.
i love At but i need to see some decent investment in it to settle my mind that there is a good future for the park
thanks alot ollie

Corkscrewed

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:43 pm

well, the thing to remember with Alton is unlike Thorpe, It's not all about the thrills. I can't to be totally honest with you see what you mean by saying iot's going "the same way as Chessington" because there has been massive improvements throughout the park this year. Mutiny Bay alone is proof of Merlins commitment to improve the park, and if that isn't enough, the Monorail, on park entertainment, and just general park infrastructure has been Vastly improved as well.

Next year, if the rumours we have heard are correct, then we are going to see more major investment in the park, and 2010 we're Hopefully getting a brand new coaster. To say there's been no great investment lately isn't particularly accurate. in fact, more has been done at the park in the last year, than has been done in the last 5 under Tussauds, and, since the Parks about to enter a period of major investment, you really haven't got anything to worry about.

More info on 2009

More info on 2010

hope this helps.

:D

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:57 pm

Plus, it may not be as obvious as it is at Thorpe Park but Alton Towers has invested more than any other UK theme park over the last few years.

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:57 am

Altons lack of anything for years?

Rita, Golf, Charlie, Revamped Eye Spy, Overhaul of all signage, Nemesis lick of paint, revamped monorail, return of Halloween in a big way, Mutiny Bay.... Nooo they're really holding back aren't they?

What Alton's done over the past few years is actually very, very clever and I've been blind to it until recently.

You talk of 'one trick ponies' but Thorpe is the ultimate one tricker - you go there and if you're into thrills its an amazing park but if you want a fun day out for EVERYONE its actually fairly lame.

What Alton have done is moved away from the secret weapons. As recently as 2002 they relied on the annual big new thrill attraction to get business - but they're wise. Staying on that road forever more was a road to self destruction - there would come a time when space and money would dry up and no more rides would be possible so they've taken a step back and looked at the bigger picture and invested in making the park more stable, more open to all - not just the thrill seekers. That way they're going to attract a wider range of people which = more money. A wide customer base is crucial for these tougher times.

We now have a brighter more fun park with a much wider range of activities and experiences so while Nemesis may be your only 'attraction' you could go with a group of friends and know they'll all have a good time. Heck even Granny would enjoy a day at Alton - something I wouldn't have said 5 years ago.

There's something for everyone at Alton now, and now that they can attract a wider audience they have more ££££ coming in which means they can, perhaps, invest in the next Nemesis.

barryzola

Re: altons lack of anything for years.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:07 am

"oliverst14" wrote:
hi everyone.
im ollie and im a rollercoaster enthusiast. i love AT and theme parks in general.
i have posted this as i am getting more and more concerned that alton towers is having what happened to chessington done to it. it seems that thorpe park is getting all the good rides in the merlin group and AT is getting nothing. i preffered alton towers a few years ago espescially before they gave in to all the neigbours. they should have told them to get lost as since then nothing gets approved planning.
i cant see a bright future for AT, i would love to be proved wrong and them create an amazing rollercoaster but i dought this will happen. the last ride they added was rita which is an ok ride but not any where near on parr with nemesis. i really do think the only good rollercoaster in AT is nemesis. dont get me wrong im so glad thats in AT cause it is amazing but the park needs more. air in my opinion is not very good and oblivion is a one trick pony and not a great trick at that.
i love At but i need to see some decent investment in it to settle my mind that there is a good future for the park
thanks alot ollie

I don't want to be funny but have you never been told in 21 years that sentences begin with capital letters? I fail to accept that someone can use a computer, sign up and use a forum but can't use one of the simplest principles of the English language. Welcome to the forum.

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:34 pm

yes with the removal of corkie im sure the park have something major planned as up until now i always think of corkie when i think of alton towers its the first thing that comes to mind.

AstroDan

Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Alton Towers investment has been no lower than Thorpe Park.

Alton Towers
2005: Rita - Queen of Speed
2006: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory & Driving School
2007: Dung Heap, Haunted Hollow & Extraordinary Golf
2008: Mutiny Bay & Monorail Re-Theme
2009: Cred Street Re-Theme (?), Skyride Refurb & Sea Life (?)
2010: Project Ug Land

Thorpe Park
2005: Rush & Slammer
2006: Stealth
2007: Flying Fish re-opening
2008: -
2009: Project Dylan
2010: ?

:)
Last edited by AstroDan on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous

Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:58 pm

I don't want to be funny but have you never been told in 21 years that sentences begin with capital letters? I fail to accept that someone can use a computer, sign up and use a forum but can't use one of the simplest principles of the English language. Welcome to the forum.

stop being pedantic i just cant be arsed. i go on forums all the time and thats the first time anyone has been so picky as to pick up on that. im just lazy thats all.

anyway back to AT i understand all of your points and do agree with them. its just im 21 and dont see the bigger picture. i want a park like cedar point and were not going to get that here.
i just feel there are better ways of making a family park. dont shoot me down for saying this but look at disney. there rides are not really thrilling but they have amazing themeing which makes up for it.
i just feel alton isnt what it used to be and needs some seriouse investment to bring it up to scratch with alot of other parks round the world.
its good to hear that this maybe coming over the next few years so thanks for infoming me of that.
also i get your point about other parks in britain not doing any investment. for example blackpool pleasure beach. the only major investment in about 10 years was removing the log flume and putting the traumatizer (which they already owned) in its place and changing its name. now that is lame.
thanks alot ollie

AstroDan

Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:19 pm

"oliverst14" wrote:

i go on forums all the time and thats the first time anyone has been so picky as to pick up on that. im just lazy thats all.

Hi Ollie, and welcome to TTF. Whilst some forums may tolerate messy posting, Towers Times Forum does not. It is a very busy forum within the theme park community and is regularly used by theme parks for marketing and reseach purposes. To keep all parties happy and the forum looking tidy and welcoming, it's important to use SPG. I refer to Forum Guideline 4:

Guideline Point 4
Please make use of the 'SpellCheck' function of TTF, if necessary. Proof-reading is also necessary for eradication of any silly mistakes/typos. Proper use of SPG is appreciated. Remember, members will only put as much effort into reading your posts as you do in writing them.

Adhere to these and you'll enjoy your time here.

AstroDan (Team TTF)

towers freak

Re:

Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:56 pm

i want a park like cedar point and were not going to get that here.

The States is a bigger place than Britain with a larger population so the parks get more visitors and so get more money to spend on rides. Planning permission is also easier to get hold of. Second of all I would rather wait for five years for a good coaster than for 1 year and get a bad one. That's where DMP went wrong they add something every other year but don't take time to put effort in to something special, the same with Thorpe.

Welcome to the forum.
Last edited by towers freak on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Re:

Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:53 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
Thorpe Park
2008: -

2008 = Time Voyagers...hardly a splash out :roll:

But honestly, alton has had about the same if not more than thorpe have. The marketing strategies of both parks differ GREATLY. Thorpe is the one who needs to focus on more rides/attractions that will keep those thrill seekers coming, whilst Alton has to ensure it caters for a much wider audience across the whole resort. It's been two quiet seasons for thorpe, with 2007 and 2008 not being great attraction pullers. Alton have picked up with this season with their wider family market with MB and will continue to do so for the next two years as has been stated:

New area/sealife
Project 2010

And Thorpe will bite back at the enthusiast market next season and 2010 so, all in all both of them invest almost equally.

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

AstroDan

Re: Alton's lack of anything for years!

Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:35 pm

It's a good point in how Thorpe Park and Alton differ. It's really rather astounding. Thorpe Park has to rely on new thrill attractions to pull in the crowds wheras Alton as you say needs to be more widespread in its appeal.

For the record, I don't class Time Voyagers as a new attraction, as all they had to do was change the tape :P .

ReallyRollercoasterRules
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:58 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
It's a good point in how Thorpe Park and Alton differ. It's really rather astounding. Thorpe Park has to rely on new thrill attractions to pull in the crowds wheras Alton as you say needs to be more widespread in its appeal.

For the record, I don't class Time Voyagers as a new attraction, as all they had to do was change the tape :P .

That's a little harsh- this had to change the sign outside as well.

The effort :P
Really Rollercoaster- The Latest Theme Park News & Reviews

[url=http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/\" target=\"_blank]http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/[/url]

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Thorpe Could Overtake If Alton Don't Build A Coaster Soon!!!

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 pm

I feel that thorpe Park could overtake alton as the best park in britain. It is improving at a much faster rate. Alton Need To Do Something Now!!
Last edited by AltonThorpe on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

rightbackgranty
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:00 pm

Well, that all depends on whether or not you class having more thrill rides as improving!

Thorpe Park is an entirely different kettle of fish to Alton Towers. Towers has improved recently on the family front, and that entices a lot of people onto the park. thorpe on the other hand is very thrill ride orientated.

I'd say that Alton Towers is the far better park, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. SW6 beats a eurocoaster hands down any day :p

AstroDan

Re: Thorpe Could Overtake If Alton Don't Build A Coaster Soon!!!

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:49 pm

"AltonThorpe" wrote:
I feel that thorpe Park could overtake alton as the best park in britain. It is improving at a much faster rate. Alton Need To Do Something Now!!

It's amazing that as soon as Thorpe install a new coaster again, the "OMG SAVE ALTON" campaign is back on track! Everytime Thorpe get a big new ride, certain people get the violins out for Alton.

Thorpe has had a good season, for it. But as for Alton, Alton is improving more now than at any stage since the late 1990's. Thorpe remains far behind Alton Towers in terms of guest experience and poduct diversity. In any case, with such renewal and refurbishment as is happening at the Towers these days, coupled with the 2010 development - Towers is by far the better option.

alex_4291
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:03 am

Owned :P

But i think in light of last year, the developments taking place the end of the season and SW6, it is a bit of a random comment to make. The park is beginning to really develop now that Merlin have taken over and Mutiny Bay is my favourite themed area of the park, however i am a sucker for pirates :D

As everyone previous has said, the park is looking for a wider scope of audience and it is important to provide a great day out for all ages, if when you were younger there were no rides you were allowed to go on you would complain even more whilst you waited for older siblings to finish riding the coasters. Alton Towers has the basis for one hell of a theme park; it has the beautiful landscape, some fantastic rides and some exciting future developments, not to mention the soul of the place the towers themselves.

And comparing American parks to AT really gets on my nipples. America is a thousand times bigger and so can vacate to larger theme parks and the majority of the American parks have next to no themeing. Its only the likes of the florida parks that do.

I dont mean to sound funny but there seems to be an expectation of new coasters every year and if thats not met then theres an uproar about it.

altontowers1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:18 pm

The topic title says it all and accoring to previous news we have to wait another 2 years 2010 ROLE ON!
Carling cup winners 2011 Birmingham City fc \":)\"

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Thorpe Could Overtake If Alton Don't Build A Coaster Soon!!!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:02 pm

"Cont. Yates""][quote=""AltonThorpe" wrote:

It's amazing that as soon as Thorpe install a new coaster again, the "OMG SAVE ALTON" campaign is back on track! Everytime Thorpe get a big new ride, certain people get the violins out for Alton.

Thorpe has had a good season, for it. But as for Alton, Alton is improving more now than at any stage since the late 1990's. Thorpe remains far behind Alton Towers in terms of guest experience and poduct diversity. In any case, with such renewal and refurbishment as is happening at the Towers these days, coupled with the 2010 development - Towers is by far the better option.[/quote]

Yes but the reason is is that almost every year Thorpe is getting a "big thrill" ride. Whereas Alton aren't. I'm not a young child anymore so if a wanted a mega thrill I would go to Thorpe!
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:31 pm

Thorpe will NEVER overtake Alton... its as simple as that, unless of course they buck up their ideas and actually sort out all the problems! Which wont happen!

I'm not a young child anymore, and if I wanted a mega thrill I still wouldnt go to Thorpe, I'd travel the extra 3 hours up the country to ride some good rides thanks! While some people say Thorpe has amazing rides, doesnt mean its a good park... the park is run down and lacking any form of atmosphere about it, and due to the fact that its a "thrill seeker's" place means it attracts the most dire and disgusting group of people ever.

If you think Thorpe is actually a good park, you've missed out some VITAL observations of what you would class as Customer Service.

Also, Alton have been adding things throughout the years, just not "big" things... but they still count... Must somewhere get "big rides" every year? no they shouldnt! thats where Thorpe goes wrong, people expect them to get something amazing every year.

I'd rather see a park not add something big, and touch the place up, then keep adding and adding and adding and letting the place turn into a hole.

^^ Chris ^^
[b]Back from hibernation![b]