UK theme parks from another point of view!

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

If Corkscrews's replacement wasn't SW6?

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:15 pm

OK, this is my first post so go easy on me! 8-[
What if SW6 was all fake and Corckscrew was going to be replaced with someting different and not as grand?
Waht do you think :?:
I personally believe in SW6, but I think some new flats wouldn't do amiss, or maybe the return of Energizer and Dynamo, or maybe even Thunder Looper but that could be SW6.

Cheers and please reply!
Last edited by Joe Koopa on Sat May 16, 2009 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: If corckscrews's replacement wasn't SW6?

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:39 pm

I believe that they will not replace Corkscrew with another big development, but add a flat ot two, and/or a smaller attraction and make the area into a racing ground or something. I think SW6 will be someplace else in an area of its own. That area being...um...oh yes...Dark Forest.

rightbackgranty
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Where will dark forest be Chris?

I think people are thinking too inside the box. SW6 will be a coaster, but Secret Weapon doesn't necesarily mean big. Oblivion was a Secret Weapon, but hasn't got a massive footprint...

I see your point though Chris. All they have said is that they will be replacing corkscrew with a worlds first. A couple of flats in the area would be nice, but, if Alton Towers have someow managed to utilise the valley, then there's no reaso SW6 couldnt replace the corkscrew site.

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:23 pm

I can't belive how many replies I've got! 8)
Thanks guys!
So, Granty, you say that SW6 could be a ride with a smaller footprint. Doesen't that fit into Thunder Looper's case :?:
Still where has all this SW6 buisnees come from? I'll be over the moon if they are doing it but what if someone's telling porkies! :^o

scottw92
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:45 pm

Welcome to TFF AirWolf :D

Anyways i think SW6 will be a Vekoma tilting coaster; just like Expedition Everest. But there has been talk of a new B&M concept.. And an intimin, whereas it been a woodie or another launch coaster like Rita.

Personally i think it'll be vekoma though. it's gonna be a 'World's First' soo.. something has to be incorperated in with the 'tilt'. I'm thinkin of a turntable.. Which means world's first backwards tilting coaster. But i dunno thats the impression i got from lookin at the concept pictures.

Thats my idea anyways..
Do Look Down..

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:54 pm

"scottw92" wrote:
Welcome to TFF AirWolf :D

Anyways i think SW6 will be a Vekoma tilting coaster; just like Expedition Everest. But there has been talk of a new B&M concept.. And an intimin, whereas it been a woodie or another launch coaster like Rita.

Personally i think it'll be vekoma though. it's gonna be a 'World's First' soo.. something has to be incorperated in with the 'tilt'. I'm thinkin of a turntable.. Which means world's first backwards tilting coaster. But i dunno thats the impression i got from lookin at the concept pictures.

Thats my idea anyways..

Hi. I never knew Expedition Everest was a tilting coaster though, yet a coaster of that grand theming will make me very happy! :mrgreen:

scottw92
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:33 pm

Oh well; you know now :lol: Have a look at a POV on youtube :D.

Shame you never seen the concept pictures :(
Do Look Down..

LiamSAFC

Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:10 pm

Expedition Everest isn't a tilting coaster. :? It's a Vekoma Mine Train, so I have no idea where you have got that from :?

Anyways, I think something very different in terms of a new coaster concept will be what we will be expecting. I'll actually be a little disappointed after all this talk of a coaster and they get flats, but I'm very certain that won't actually happen.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Hopefully we'll gets flats and a coaster. :wink:

Justtracy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:08 pm

A long time ago.......when I was young.......I was on a coaster in Canada Wonderland called The Bat. It pulled you backwards and then, oh for goodness sake I am so slow at typing I'll just paste the details in from Wikipedia :? ............

"First, the train of The Bat gets pulled up backwarks to the top of the lift hill which is over 115 feet tall. After that, the train gets let down forwards and goes through the station area in about a second. The ride goes on the cobra roll after it runs past the station. Since the cobra roll turns the cars of the train 180 around. The riders are heading in the opposite direction to which they first started. The Bat's passengers go through a loop after that and then head up another lift hill just as tall as the first one was. The train gets lifted up normally on this lift hill and gets let down backwards. The train of The Bat goen through the same track again then but this time it goes through it backwards"

It was a real good ride at the time. I'd love to see something like that at Alton but now they say it will be a World First I guess that rules The Bat out. :)

Danger Noise
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:15 pm

please let sw6 be the missile from the american adventure, that would be absolute lolz
[url=http://www.dangernoiseaudio.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.dangernoiseaudio.com[/url]

[url=http://soundcloud.com/rich-dangernoise/november-drum-n-bass-mix-tech-rich\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://soundcloud.com/rich-dangernoise/ ... -tech-rich[/url]

Corkscrewed

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:02 pm

"Danger Noise" wrote:
please let sw6 be the missile from the american adventure, that would be absolute lolz

Alton can't have Missile, else us lot in the east would lose the best coaster we have! And anyway, Pleasurewood Hills are never gonna let go of it till it falls apart :P

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:05 pm

Vekoma Boomerangs still are really good rides IMO but obviously SW6 is going to be nothing of the sort. How about a B & M backwards launch coaster with 12 inversions?

No.... :oops:
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Weebl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:41 pm

To be honest I don't think there is much question that SW6 is going to replace Corkscrew. I don't expect it to be on the exact same footrpint as Corkscrew but to utilise the forest and valley behind Ug Land.

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:45 pm

"Corkscrewed""][quote=""Danger Noise" wrote:

Alton can't have Missile, else us lot in the east would lose the best coaster we have! And anyway, Pleasurewood Hills are never gonna let go of it till it falls apart :P[/quote]

Kudos to that! That boomerang has given me an excuse to go there again!

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:09 pm

Aren't boomerang's meant to be quite painful?
Maybe B&M or Intanium's take of a boomerang would do well as SW6. That would be cool. 8)
Thinking about it a Boomerang next to Rita would work really well but I don't think it's quite big enough to be SW6. :|
Anyway, what do you think of having some new flats replacing Corkscrew and SW6 in the forest behind it.

scottw92
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:25 pm

"LiamSAFC" wrote:
Expedition Everest isn't a tilting coaster. :? It's a Vekoma Mine Train, so I have no idea where you have got that from :?

Ehh.. I'm sure someone posted on the 2010: SW6 topic when it was called 2010: Concepts that Expedition Everest was a 45 degree tilting coaster.. :?

And i also saw a vid on youtube and it seemed to have went down some 'hidden' tilting track just after the encouter with the Yeti..

Dina about a Boomerang likes.. Something like Deja Vu would be alright. Don't think it's up to the standards of a SW.. And wouldn't the vertical bits be too high anyway?? :?
Do Look Down..

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:47 pm

"Weebl" wrote:
To be honest I don't think there is much question that SW6 is going to replace Corkscrew. I don't expect it to be on the exact same footrpint as Corkscrew but to utilise the forest and valley behind Ug Land.

It does raise the question though of the fact that if this is the only space they have room to build a new coaster, or the only space they're allowed to put a coaster, then how are they going to build anymore in the future?

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 pm

^Deja Vu is an inverted Boomerang isn't it? I would love to ride one of those.

Expedition Everest doesn't tilt but does have a switching track. I think Gravity Max is the only tilting coaster in the world.

shirehorse
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Its going to be big.. but it might not be tall, the corkscrew only just got planning permision, even then the highest point had to be painted green. Its no suprise the Corkscrew is closing this year, the design life and fatigue life of the many welds etc would have been 30 years, given many of these were done during 1978/79 its no wonder its end of life for the Corkscrew.

However anyone wandering round "Ug" land last year may have noticed the signs of some serious civil engengineering/geotechnical happening as the park came to a close in the weekday evenings while it was still sunny. Test boring equipment seen on its way to the path which runs front of towers to back of UG land. A leica lidar has also been seen being set up in UG land.

Those with a keen eye over the last few weeks may have even noticed the reflective targets left behind on structures, one can assume every structure, tree and building is now in some massive computer CAD model, ready for a coaster development team to drop in something very very big ;) Given the recent leaps in computing power and CAD packages able to hold massive models in memory you can now wrap a coaster round the landscape.

Back in the 70's and 80's you could only design a coaster on an empty or near empty space. Its why the CorkScrew was built and tested a Vekoma, taken to bits and bolted together on an almost clear patch of ground. Move forward to Nemiss and you know what shape hole to dig. Forward again to Rita Queen of speed and you can fit it in part round existing structures (example, the interesting work round the cork screw station).

So if the current Corkscrew area is just the load/unload area of a much bigger ride... Whatever it is needs a good rider throughput, say 1000 to 2000 riders an hour, its got to be a first, so its not going to be in the public
Vekoma etc price list (like you can buy yourself a Hex aka Vekoma Madhouse-78). Loading needs to be quick (air problems), and its got to be visable (black hole hidden in a big tent).

One thought, and I'll let a few others post some ideas first, is I've found a few recent patent applications relating to... Multi-track roller coasters designs which match nothing I've yet seen built... The online search at the patent office is one good source of coaster rumours ;) One such patent covers the use of LIM motors and holographic projection methods making the track near invisable to the riders...

The use of LIM is interesting as it means the ride can get a speed boost a halfway point....