UK theme parks from another point of view!

A5H

Re: 2009, online store.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:37 pm

The thing is more and more people are doing online shopping now-a-days. In 2000, not many people would have trusted entering their credit card details online even on a theme park shop, but now people always buy things online so i can imagine it will be quite good.
The idea of printable tickets and fast tracks would be quite good but its being able to get a way of verifying them at the entrance.

What i wanna know is will i be able to buy a Coca-Cola flask thing with two drinks of my choice off the shop to be delivered to my home :P :P

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:27 am

"AltonThorpe" wrote:
Does anyone know exactly when the shop will be launched?

Probably not until the main season starts on March 28th. If the online store does go ahead, then I can imagine the "extra benefits" annual pass holders are going to get starting in March will be related to this.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:01 am

"CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:
If they redesign their website too often people will lose track of the brand identity of Alton Towers.

Thats not entirely true, with the internet fast becoming the biggest channel of sales and revenue in many sectors it's important for companies to stay on top of their online identity. At the same time, the internet is so fast paced, what was cool yesterday can easily be out of date tomorrow.

The current Alton Towers branding, which is perhaps at its strongest in quality and coherence for quite sometime as naturally evolved this year. The quality of imagery and style has stepped up a gear, but at the same time its in keeping with the roots established last year. It is important that the website, as the parks single largest marketing tool, supports this evolution too, otherwise you end up back at square one with an inconsistent brand.

All that will be needed are minor improvements and a general refresh. I'd like to see some major changes however as the existing brand style could be implemented online so much better!

Vicky-Leigh
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:34 pm

I am loving the idea of an online shop - one question - when does it open? lol
Hopefully soon when the park does! x
I\'m contemplating thinking about thinking.
It\'s overated, just get another drink in.

Tommy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:04 pm

An online shop does sound rather good, and I imagine it's launch would be around mid season if you ask me.

I'd love to say that it would be the start of the season, but I cant see it myself. I'd love for Alton to prove me wrong though :)

Justtracy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:24 pm

I rang the guest services on the 27th Feb to see if I could get a teddy bear sent to me for my new nephew (he's so cute) cause being a boat ride away it may be July before I got to go back and get it myself. The very nice lady who I spoke to told me that I would be able to order it myself within a few weeks on the new on-line store. She wasn't sure of the launch date but said it is supposed to be on-line for new season if not before. I do hope she was not telling me little porkie pies cause I really want that bear [-o<

popTART
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:08 pm

I like the idea of an online shop because you might not have the money to buy souvenirs on the day for whatever reason and you don't need to worry about going back again soon to get them you can order them online or there might be something you wished you got. I can see this as good as buying it on park.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:36 pm

I think an online shop is a waste of money, no one buys souvenirs unless they actually visit a place. (Or maybe they do but theres no logic in it). I doubt it will last more than one season, what with the economic problems we are currently facing people just haven't got the money for things like this.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:40 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:
I think an online shop is a waste of money, no one buys souvenirs unless they actually visit a place. (Or maybe they do but theres no logic in it). I doubt it will last more than one season, what with the economic problems we are currently facing people just haven't got the money for things like this.

Well lets look at it this way, what additional costs are their to Alton Towers? Alton Towers already have an online presense, and setting up a website is so cheap these days. They already have the stock, and the means to store it, so no aditional costs there.... the only additional costs would be delivery but I expect these will be covered by a delivery fee!

So, as so many have pointed out. This actually makes solid financial sense in the current economic climate. It gives the park ANOTHER channel to retail its product/goods and increase revenue with little, to no additional expenditure.

Dean

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:55 pm

I'll be able to reserve the bottle of coke, I normally purchase on my visits... :wink:

Tom M
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:02 pm

I say bring out park music on CD. All other European Theme Park RESORTS do it, why can't Alton Towers Resort? :P

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:24 pm

I've already got the Flume and Duel on my iPod. You should see my mates faces when it comes through my speakers when my iPod is in it's dock!

Thom
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:52 pm

"Tom" wrote:
I say bring out park music on CD. All other European Theme Park RESORTS do it, why can't Alton Towers Resort? :P

CDs would to too costly to produce given the rather small amount of people who would buy one.

Paid high quality downloads from eithier AT's site or iTunes however would be a completely different matter...

Thom...

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:07 pm

Never thought of that!

Could be a good money spinner imo

Rory
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:16 pm

Does everyone think this onlione shop is really too demanded? I think many of the comments above are enthusiast orientated.

I see items bought on park with Alton branding impulse buy by guests have an enjoyable day on park/end of day looking for a bit of merchandie to go home with. While a few people may order an item when they get back home, most people would have be drawn to the online shop at all in my opinion!

Big Dave

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:07 pm

If they advertise it well on the park, link it to the park ticket sales site and have 1 big "store" for tickets, merchandise and other online only products, then the site could work well.

amylovesaltontowers
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:23 pm

I would love them to bring out a cd with all the ride's music on, but as people have said, not enough people would buy it probably.
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'

Ythyslz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Instead of producing CD's Alton could make soundtracks digitally available online, this is cost effective and a lot of people actually prefer this system now because its almost instant...

JarethDrakul
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:23 pm

I think a CD would depend on how many Alton Towers got pressed and who they did it with (some companies are really reasonable while others will rip you off), alot of the time it isn't that expensive to get your CD professinally pressed (unless your a musician on a budget of £25 then you'd have problems >.>). But I do agree therew ould most likely not be a big audience wanting to buy a CD of the parks music, I know a few would but possibly not the amount Alton Towers would want (unless they did a limited edition CD for a short period of time, like alot of parks have done in the past).

GeorgeM
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:53 pm

:) would be good because I don’t go much XD (wish I could though) but if you are lucky you might just find something in a charity shop, I did an Alton Towers cup for 50 p :D
What Ever Age, What Ever Race, What Ever Gender, What Ever Ability, Everyone Experiences magic x \":)\"