UK theme parks from another point of view!

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Re: 2011 Onwards: Alton Towers' Future

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:12 pm

Whilst Spiderman did cost that much, that included the cost to develop the technology and Darkastle, a more recent ride using the same system was closer to $20million, so "could" be an option when a new major dark ride is needed, personally I feel that particular ride system would be perfect for Alton.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:35 pm

i have come up with a new concept for a new coaster i call it the launches flume it basically power launches you through the water using a giant flume boat they seat 25 people and drain water on hills.
i suggest it launches using a booster drop the drop would be shorter and this wouls mean a conventional coater until the drop a splash bridge could be incorperated too imagine going through camel humps then down a powered drop it wold be a shallow drop but the speed would create the g

kingda dude
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Nice idea but flawed slightly.
For example launching through water. This will require far more force to achieve only a mediocre launch. It would be far easier to build a launch out of the water and have a roller coaster start and end with a drop into a 'log flume' section.

Overall it is a good idea and I think it should be used to replace the flume.

I feel though that Alton towers should start using launches for roller coasters (apart from new B&Ms), I say this because they allow a faster and longer ride which doesn't need to go as high as a conventional lift hill roller coaster.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:44 pm

"kingda dude" wrote:
Nice idea but flawed slightly.
For example launching through water. This will require far more force to achieve only a mediocre launch. It would be far easier to build a launch out of the water and have a roller coaster start and end with a drop into a 'log flume' section.

Overall it is a good idea and I think it should be used to replace the flume.

I feel though that Alton towers should start using launches for roller coasters (apart from new B&Ms), I say this because they allow a faster and longer ride which doesn't need to go as high as a conventional lift hill roller coaster.

the idea would work if it got attached to a pully system under water which then had a powerful motor draw it to a lift hill at speed

XIIIDom
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Call me crazy, but I really like the "tarantula"re-theme idea of gloomy wood mentioned way back in this topic. It could be similar to the "creatures" theme that was suggested for the dark forest. Duel could be re-themed (sad, but its dying a death) into an extension of the spiders lair section - and a small compact coaster or spinning flat could be added. The whole forest could be covered in webs with a couple of outdoor animatronic scenes of spiders in haunted hollow. Sounds odd, but it would be enough to cover the small area of gloomy wood and it would not be a total departure from its existing theme - whilst making it different from the dark forest.

[Archive]

Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Gloomy Wood certainly does need new emphasis on something other than the wood to make it fresh and differ it from the Dark Forest. Spiders are a good idea, but you can't build a theme on spiders because it would end up quite gimmicky. I like trying to think about the orginal core concept of an area, which often gets very worn and unclear over the years, especially with half-hearted rethemes like we saw with Duel. The Gloomy Wood of today and the future is certainly very different to the Gloomy Wood of the past.

Gloomy Wood was always meant to be a fun, light-hearted area based around the Haunted House, which was designed as a scary but magical, quality, theatrical dark ride. However, the original 'idea' has mostly worn off. Now, 'Duel' is neither here nor there with a solid theme and the whole are acts like the second half of the Dark Forest. Why are there zombies attacking inside a mansion? Why is only half the ride about zombies. Why does 'Dr Roydoon' never turn up even though he is meant to be in the storyline? And, after all that, what have guns got to do with anything? The ride just feels a messy and dumbed-down version of the old Haunted House, but with lasers and zombies interferring every now and then; along with a few random, cheap after-thoughts posing as special effects.

The fact that its icon ride is now a laser quest damages the rest of Gloomy Wood, which has ended up being limited to a themed pathway and graveyard queueline. Something desperately needs to be done to fix this in the near future or the area will just collapse. All relevance to Gloomy Wood should be ignored, which will be fairly easy since the only reference to this are the trees themselves. There should be a new, more solid theme to base the area on. I like the idea of cemetery (Sinister Cemetery, anybody?) because it will keep in continuity with previous years whilst offering much more potential than things do now. Large, gothic gates at each entrance with lanterns and the spooky, dramatic Gloomy Wood music dancing about. Haunted Hollow and the Haunted House queueline could both be given new theming features to really take-on the new idea. Maybe even a touch of a 'ghost town' theme could give it more opportunity. John Wardley's initial idea was actually for the area to be themed around a swamp, so maybe the could be a good element of that to it as well. As long the concept is solid and immersive and has proper large scale theming.

Anything that will both seperate it from the Dark Forest and support with dying concepts with a new, strong theme (no more wishy washy "Ug Land being taken over by vines" type themes that have to be discussed and argued over before anybody knows what it actually means). The area can then be built up and improved from there, including a theatrical Duel retheme to bring back proper dark ride magic, and to making the area something for Alton Towers to boast, instead of hide away. I strongly think this is something Alton Towers should be focussing on in the medium term.

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Now we have got the latest SW, I think the focus now should be on X Sector. In the early days, this used to look the scariest, intimidating and best themed area in the park: now it looks like a reject from Universal's Islands of Adventure! I feel the whole area needs a clean up and paint job, and, in the coming years just some sort of attraction in that Black Hole tent. Whether it is a show or a roller coaster: something needs to be in there because it just looks awful left there dormant! It is a harsh reminder of what great ride used to reside in there which so many loved. #-o

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

djtruefitt

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:12 am

I really think X-sector must be high on the to-do list for Alton, pretty much all the other areas have had a re-theme or new rides built in them in the last few years and X-secor is just looking old and slightly empty. It has a big empty tent, an old faiground ride and a ride which only has one working side. I imagine i this area isnt re-themed for 2011 it certainly will for 2012 with a big new ride in the black hole tent.

For 2011 if nothing happens in X-sector I think a flat ride will be going in the dark forrest.

XIIIDom
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:26 am

To be honest, I really can't see a new flat for DF in 2011, or a x-sector retheme. I believe that the main focus will be maintaining and refurbishing the resort and hotel facillities - in time for the 2012 olympics... sad, but nessecary to bring in the mass influx of tourists...

fredward

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Surely Alton Towers wouldn't need to worry too much about the 2012 olympics considering there so far from London, I don't think it'll affect the rate of guests too much

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:47 pm

It may seem quite a distance for us Brits, but for quite a few of the infux of overseas visitors the Olympics will bring, such as Americans, Australians for example, London to Alton Towers is nothing. As I found when I was in Australia, 'It's just a quick drive down the road' means about 2 hours away. :P
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:33 am

Based on the little things we picked up last night I see the next few years like this:

2011: Family attraction (as mentioned by Morwenna). Maybe Adventureland, Storybook Land or The Farm.
2012: Family-Thrill. Possibly in the BH Tent but its possible that it could be built somewhere else. *
2013; Nothing was mentioned.
2014: SW7. White Knuckle Thrill.

* If Blackhole Tent is not chosen for 2012 they will look at the site again after SW7.

Family Thrill for 2012 would fit in well with the Olympics, some kind of ride that can appeal to everyone.

cmpunk771
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:09 am

I cant wait to see what the 2012 attraction is, Should be interesting :)

Sounded like a great night.

binki101
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Alton towers must be planning something for the BH tent as whilst it is sitting there a fact they will be aware of is its wasting space and reducing park throughput and capacity, the more rides the more capacity a park has and the more money they would make. As for becoming Family orientated this wouldn't be a wise move as they heavily invested in changing chesington to forfill this role. Also worth noting that X sector is due a major overhaul on all rides.

Blaze

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:45 pm

You are wrong about becoming family orientated being a bad move. It isn't Chessy is a long way away and near Thorpe, so Thorpe gets all the thrills and Chessy is just for families and kids. Alton is on it's own and needs to suit everyone, i.e. families. The park has always been for the whole family, but that side of things was neer pushed before. Now they are improving the family side but keeping the thrill aspect aswell. Being a family resort will increase the number of guests.

I can't see anything in Dark Forest next season if they are going for families. If nothing happens in the BH tent in 2012, maybe then, but I do expect the tent to be filled that year with a possible overhaul of X-Sector. I don't think one of the flats will be removed that year, though. Possibly for next season or 2013, which I expect to have a family focus. 2012 will be a thrill focused year with the BH tent/whatever they build being another family/thrill ride. 2014 will be a thrill year and SW7 will obviously be a major thrill ride.

Flats I can't see coming any time soon. Next year will be about families, so that pushes it to 2012. With a new X-Sector ride coming I doubt they will get a new flat aswell, especialy in that area. Whatever goes in there will take all the attention and be bigger than a flat elsewhere, so a flat that year wont happen. Unless the BH replacement does not happen. If that is the case, then a flat in Dark Forest or an X-Sector flat is possible. I doubt 2013 will see one because chances are it will be a family year. If not, a flat in Dark Forest could happen, possibly even in X-Sector, but I doubt. There won't be one in 2014 if SW7 is built. There wont be the money and they will be focused on getting their new flagship out. If nothing happens with BH in 2012, they will look again after SW7, possibly in 2016. I can't see a flat being built in X-Sector outside 2012, and if the BH is replaced, especialy for a coaster, I can't see a flat ever happeining, not for a long time. If there isn't a coaster, then a X-S flat could happen. The only other way is to build one and give it very little marketing.

Any flat that is removed wil probably be replaced immediately. I can see one (or both) X-S flats going over the next closed season to be replaced in 2012 if no BH replacement happens, very unlikely if it does. The flats in Forbiden Valley could last longer, but I can see them going before 2016, possible to be replaced then.

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:33 am

From the sound of things, next year will be VERY family. With another family thrill in 2012 which sounds pretty good to me! :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

sharpy156
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:10 am

So we know 2011 is certain to be family (or very family) but what could it be?

I think if you look at the family areas of the park AT can’t really do much with the farm apart from a general tidy and fix a few niggles here and there. KC is fine as it is the rapids and the mine train still very popular for families. GW in my eyes is fine, don’t get me wrong I preferred the haunted house over duel but adding another ride to this area will just spoil the whole atmosphere of the area. Mutiny bay I don’t think will get anything for 3 reasons; it’s only 2 and abit years old, it had Shark Bait Reef added last year and I think the flume could be going in 2012 for a new family thrill ride for the 2013 season.

So here a few of my ideas for 2011;

1. A freshen up of adventure land with maybe a replacement for the beastie, something of the same scale maybe offering a slightly better layout and theme, then make a new entrance to the old ice show tent from adventure land with a 4D cinema in there, the theme really could be anything to be honest adventure land is not really themed that much so AT could just pick whatever (Dare I say it sonic themed). Whatever themed used I would want it to be done more like the 4D at Madame tussauds (which is fantastic) and less like the one at Lego discovery centre in Manchester (which I thought was good but didn't blow me away)

2. A 4D cinema in the CCL theatre with a few different films all based/themed around CCL. I can’t really see this happening because CCL was new for 2009 season and if AT was going to use it for anything major they would of launched it at the same time as the rest of CCL.

3. A new family area on the old coaster corner site, due to the close proximity of Alton village If AT want to develop this site again I think they would only be able to have indoor family attractions here.

Then what for 2012

I think X Sector will be re-themed oblivion will get torn down! (Only joking) a re-paint a family thrill ride for the black hole tent and 2 new flats. I remember a few years back now Thorpe got 3 flats in one year (Vortex, Quantum and Detonator). Then a few years later they got 2 more in the same year again (Slammer and Rush).AT also did more or less the same with Mutiny Bay 1 new flat, a re-theme and a family ride (Heave-Ho, Marauders Mayhem and Battle Galleons). So why can’t AT do the same again, get a family thrill ride in the black hole tent and then 2 flats a much needed replacement for submission and a replacement for the aging enterprise.

2013 As mentioned above a family thrill water ride on the flume site.

2014 We know is going to be SW7 personally think it will be on the car park behind air I can’t imagine that the site will need a great deal of planning permission and it’s one the furthest places away from the village in the park.

All just ideas of course hope you like them and feel free to tear me to pieces lol
Sharpy

cookiee_munster
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:07 am

i know its totally mad, and would be very expensive. but even john wardley has said once he's admired it.

the park needs an attraction like Spiderman at Islands of Adventure to pull in the crowds.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:26 am

I can't believe we are not getting a pure thrill adrenaline ride next year, I mean it really is about time.

This year hasn't been about the thrills as already established, so why back to the family next year? Now I know they are all spent out after Thirteen, but after Nemesis (and Toyland Tours) in 1994 they still gave us Energizer the year after - a pure thrill flat.

So why can't it be the same way now? Dark Forest is crying out for a thrilling flat, as a support ride but also to boost what is a very mediocre selection at present across the park. Then there's X-Sector, we are all quite aware of the situation there and what could be done, so why doesn't this happen for 2011?

Plus, I don't think it's fair to make us wait until what is going to now be 2014 for the next thrill ride, which is what it looks set to be now.

OK, I s'pose I'll just have to wait until next year, hopefully they will surprise us but I have my doubts.

After all my moaning, Alton Towers is still the place to be for the big thrills - it really is amazing how Thorpe Park, despite 10 years of trying to corner the thrill market entirely are still far behind Alton, even though AT has done almost nothing for thrills over the past decade.. :wink:

:)

Blaze

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:57 pm

The park have gone all out on pushing thrills this year, and will do again in 2012 and 2014. They can't do it every year because it is a family resort with something for everyone. It makes sense to push the thrill side one year and alternate it with a family focus the next.

Thirteen is classed as a thrill coaster, and (kind of) is, and the Black Hole replacement, which is finally confirmed to be in development will be a similar family thrill ride. Then is 2014 SW7 will be a major, all out thrill. Thirteen and the 2012 ride will be replacements for family thrill coasters, which is why they both will be. They can't go for thrill every year because of the restrictions, so they need to keep some years low key. Yes, 2014 will be 20 years from Nemesis and nearly 10 for Rita, but the improvements around the park make the wait for a big thrill worthwhile, especcially with the quality of Thirteen and, hopefully the quality of the 2012 coaster/whatever we get.