UK theme parks from another point of view!

.Will

Re: The Flume --- Future

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Intamin Aquatrax uses a launch. Rita uses a launch, I think with Alton Towers already having a launch coaster the possibility of having another at all is low, especially with it being built by Intamin (using the same track style as Rita). So the alternative is to use a lift hill but that would mean a relatively tall lift hill, which AT might not be able to do because of the restrictions.

I have said this before, and I shall say it again no doubt. I really don't see Alton Towers getting an Aquatrax. But hey, I love to be proved wrong.

:)

Blaze

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Can easily have a lift, and it wouldn't need to be big. The FLume generates a big enough splash with it's drop, and a coaster car will be heavier. They can easily use more than one lift to extend it.

georgiaa

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Will be visiting Alton in a few days, and every time I go and walk through Haunted Hollow I look at the ground below the Flume. Surely, after (probably) thousands of litres of water had fallen down and onto the ground over the years, it would've caused it to become swampy and marshy? Wouldn't that cost a lot to fix up?
Please correct me if I'm wrong. :P

crofty2009
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:59 pm

"georgiaa" wrote:
Will be visiting Alton in a few days, and every time I go and walk through Haunted Hollow I look at the ground below the Flume. Surely, after (probably) thousands of litres of water had fallen down and onto the ground over the years, it would've caused it to become swampy and marshy? Wouldn't that cost a lot to fix up?
Please correct me if I'm wrong. :P

you forget the landscape, any water loss flows down into the valley or seeps into the natural ground water. also during hot periods some of that water will evaporate, and the big thing is the trees, they will absorb any remaining water for growing.

in short the environment is well suited to absorbing the extra water

.Will

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:37 pm

The water will soak down into the soil. It won't remain on the surface not much of it will evaporate into the atmosphere because it is set in a dense forest with trees shading the sun light. Not that much water flows over the sides anyway and in places where it does there are usually trough running along side the main water chute in which the boat runs. This picture shows it perfectly. You see the water pouring over the side into the trough.

It will certainly not be a marsh.

:wink:

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Intamin Aquatrax uses a launch. Rita uses a launch, I think with Alton Towers already having a launch coaster the possibility of having another at all is low

Because the ride would undoubtedly be aimed primarily at families, the launch would be nowhere near as powerful as Rita so I don't think this would be so much of a problem...

I do agree with you that the chances of the park getting one are low reguardless of this...

.Will

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Of course the ride would be aimed at families but what will people see? Same track and a launch and then "ZOMG Riiiiitaaa is better innit!".

It is unlikely but as Blaze said, lift hill?

crofty2009
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:37 am

ok, this topic needs to go right back to the top of discussions, as merlin has put up posters near the flume, detailing that the merry England resistance are based at the flume and that captain black has a new weapon on it's way from his latest victory in Switzerland.

it seams that SW7 or another big project is on it's way for the flume site!

so get your thrills now as the flume may well leave the park at the end of this season. (the leaving date is speculation but if the poster is to be believed it won't be here too much longer)

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:55 am

Somebody else read the rest of those posters and it turns out that whatever is happening to the Flume is happening for next year. Also there was mention of the Lord of Darkness standing down and a "change in management" or something like that. So if this poster is true then next year we may be seeing either a new attraction at the Flume or a retheme to the Flume and also a spruce up or retheme of X-Sector along with a new attraction there.

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:07 am

[tag:v3t1rl8x]BigAl[/tag:v3t1rl8x], where have you found out about these reference to the Lord Of Darkness and the Flume happening next year?

Is there any chance of you posting pictures/quotations? :)

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:40 am

Somebody else mentioned this one the 2013 SW7 thread. I'm going to go back to Alton Towers next week so I'll get some pictures of everything if someone hasn't already by the time I go and we can look at all of the posters and see what's what. :)

.Will

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:42 am

I did. I have said several times now that I will upload the photos later!

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:46 am

Ah good that saves me taking my camera in :P . Nice one Will! :)

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:17 pm

This is great news, I was going to say in a new topic at the start of the month where I thought we would get some hint of a attraction for 2012. I'm so excited.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:36 pm

"crofty2009" wrote:
ok, this topic needs to go right back to the top of discussions, as merlin has put up posters near the flume, detailing that the merry England resistance are based at the flume and that captain black has a new weapon on it's way from his latest victory in Switzerland.

WAIT, SWITZERLAND = B&M?

*faints*

Sorry for the double post, I just realised this.

EDIT: Dammit, just noticed the article on TTNews and SW7 Discussion, I feel like a idiot now.

Blaze

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Switzerland also = Intamin. ;)

Well I supose all this sort of means The Flume has future.

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:09 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
Switzerland also = Intamin. ;)

Yeah, I don't go as excited over Intamin.

Blaze

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:14 pm

I get more excited by Intamin than Bore&M ;)

.Will

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:16 pm

It's funny Blaze I do wonder how many you have actually been on.

:roll:

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Personally, I think the Flume will be staying (after reading the poster/image), unless Towers have completely done a U-Turn on the previous rumours... I'm leaning more towards this being a retheme for next year to make it fit into Mutiny Bay as Captain Black takes over from the ducks...

Indeed, the usage of certain words could well be used to throw us all off the scent... But I'm not too keen on the idea of them removing a rather popular family ride, whilst it DOES need a refurb and more things added to it...

However, a coaster that interacts with the Flume, Haunted Hollow and Gloomy Wood, can be agreed on... Especially a GCI...