UK theme parks from another point of view!

chr1s
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers: 10 Year Plan Revealed!

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:12 pm

"Crispy ATA" wrote:
I'm pleased to announce a comprehensive article over on ATA covering many of the details included in the Long Term Plan Exhibition.

ATA Featured Article - Alton Towers Long Term Plan Exhibition

Hmmm by the sounds of that article nothing is set in stone and they are looking for feedback on it before they submit it to the council. It is a vague as I thought it would be. Still very interesting stuff. Oh and PeteB I told ya Shawn wasn't making any of it up! [-X :P
Pepsi is better than Coke!! \":P\"

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:28 pm

Oh! Exciting stuff, I definatley think that if there is a second entrance thaen it could be used for Resort-stayers and be a portal between them or maybe Annual Pass holders. ERT anyone? :)

As far as I'm concered, I'd hate to see Towers Street go but with the moving of Spinball as a possibility I think it's unlikely.

:D

Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

That doesn't sound as exciting as I thought it would be... :|

Maybe they'll move Spinball to a completely stupid area right infront of the New Entrance! :roll:

DavidA
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:35 pm

Sounding good can not wait for someone too post the map should be a good 10 years looks like a big ride every year.

swfcjambo
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:51 pm

Four new or replacement rides of medium to large scale in the next 5 years - Spinball and Black Hole for the replacements, New ride in the southern car park and SW6?

SIX new or replacement medium to large attractions..... gettin rather excited... oooops.

Like the idea of the lodge/ camp accomodation.

Not sure how a new entrance between GW and FV would work - there would have to be a major new pathway within the park for this to happen.

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:54 pm

Spinball for Coaster Corner anyone? I can't see it going to another Merlin Attraction. It's hardly Thorpe's scene is it? And of course, Chessie has Dragon's Fury. I think Spinball would be an ideal boost to the general CCL area (by the way, sorry to be ignorant, but this mythical 'coaster corner' is up behind CCL/Charlie isn't it?)
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride

Maelstrom
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:55 pm

10 Medium-large new attractions between 2010 and 2019 is more than we have had in the last 10 years and the same if not more than in 90's plus i would imagine their would be other smaller scale attractions added which aren't detailed such as rides like Frog Hopper etc.

I would imagine the first 4 by 2014 being include sw6, blackhole replacement (however no mention of X-sector done for a refurb, so will probably keep same theme), replacement water ride on Flume site.

Spiball Could easily go to one of Merlins European parks such as Gardaland or heide park.

Andrewroom
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:05 pm

It seems a lot of work to move an entire coaster rather than retheme an area to me.

If it does get moved, I hope it stays in the park. It's a great ride and has only been here 5 years!

I hope it isn't put indoors either - it'd be a bit like Crush's Coaster at Disneyland Paris, which although an awesome ride, is not the same as having it outdoors. I like the variety :D.
Toy Story Land at DLP! Woop!

mattbailey
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:10 pm

As this is only a vague idea, they are covering their options. Also from ATA:

Several areas were highlighted as retheming and regeneration opportunity areas:

Old MacDonald's Farmyard
Park entrance & Towers Street area
The Flume area
The possible New Entrance area
The area behind The Towers

I take it as either we will get a brand new entrance at the end of an entertainment complex (akin to City Walk at Universal) or we will get a refurbished Towers Street...

James
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:10 pm

Most of what I was expecting really. Quite surprised about Spinball being relocated, Coaster Corner could come into the picture with this.

Alton will most probably want to see people's views; after all, nothing is set in stone. I so wish that an entertainments complex come to life [-o< .

I'll post my views later tonight.

Crispy ATA
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:17 pm

You're right, nothing is set in stone apart from SW6 really. The plan is very much the parks vision and general ideas. In terms of feedback they're asking what people think obviously and whether the support the ideas - a lot of people attending the exhibition today were local residents, accommodation owners, etc. and obviously Alton Towers wants/needs their support in relation to the planning process so they are keen to hear their feedback.

Everything is subject to planning permission and it could all end up being denied, hence the plan also covers things like heritage, woodland management, sustainability and a traffic strategy to ensure the development of the resort has minimal negative impact on the local area, something that will be required for them to be successful with planning applications.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:53 pm

I shall be taking a gander at the future plans tomorrow.

Never been keen on a new entrance/exit in the Forbidden Valley. The reasons for which have pretty much been outlined by others already, such as possible overcrowding, not having the iconic ruins as a focal point when entering the park. But it is one of those things that keep cropping up every now and again, so I guess it is something that will be seriously considered.

The phased landscaping of the current overflow car parks, and the eventual relocation of the car park by air to the new areas sounds interesting, as it opens up a whole new area, which is quite large. This would appear to be a site for future entertainment of guests stopping on resort. This would tie in with the "desire to form a connection between the existing hotel area and the theme park through a number of indoor and outdoor attractions". No doubt it would also provide the site for any new entrance plaza if such a plan came to fruition.

Spinballs relocation sounds vague, as it isn't clear if it is relocation within park, or another Merlin attraction. With the plans for a hotel at Legoland on the site of the Jungle Coaster, maybe a relocation to Legoland is a possibility. Would like it to stay on park though. I like spinball as a ride, as it offers something that is fun, and cab ne enjoyed by all, young and old. But have always though that it is located in the wrong place. To me it is a blot on the landscape in its current position, and its location also leads to big queues with lots of people heading there first.

Hopefully will get a good look tomorrow, and be able to air some views on the plans.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Tell them stop copying my ideas?!

Did i not say Car Park G about 3 years ago?

Also SW would probably move to Coaster Corner if thats a possible location for anything.

Either way, the futures bright :)

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Well overall I'm pleased with what has been revealed, and it's no great surprise that it does not go into massive detail, mainly because even Alton might not know exactly what they want and when yet, they just have rough ideas like wanting 4 new large/medium rides in the next 5 years.

The one thing I'm against is a new entrance, but I've already posted my views on that so won't do so again. I'm fine with a second entrance, but not a new one, and it looks like that is what most of us think.

I'm very pleased to hear that they are thinking about an entertainments complex, to me it is something needed to really make the resort a resort. It also looks like they might be considering two entertainment areas which is even better! There are so many different things that could be included in an entertainments complex, you've got places to eat and drink, shopping areas, a cinema, bowling, shows, and more things I can't think of right now. This idea has a lot of potential.

The changes to the car parking sounds promising, mainly due to the opportunities created with new space from current car parks. I don't know the lettering for the current car parks, so I'll use south and north in my description. The current south car park looks like it will host the entertainments complex, and car parking will be re-located onto what I belive is currently the overflow car park on the fields which will obviously be landscaped and made into a permanent car park. Then I can see some of the current north car park, parts of it closest to Forbidden Valley, holding a new coaster either as part of FV or as a new area. There seems to be plenty of space on the fields for car parking, so I don't think a lack of parking will be an issue if a coaster is built on the current north car park.

New accommodation is to be expected, but to me the plan suggests that there could be three new "accommodation sites", with one of these being something along the lines of log cabins. That leaves two more, and I can't see two new hotels being built in the next 10 years, so maybe we might see an extension to the ATH. Then there could be a nice new themed hotel and the grassy area to the east of the current hotels.

I think that there is a fairly high chance of seeing the coaster corner used again at some point over the next 10 years, and this is possibly where Spinball may be re-located to. If this happens I could see Spinball and a new coaster, possibly a woodie, in the coaster corner along with a flat or two. I'd be very happy to see something like that happen.

The plan suggests that there could be 3 coasters over this 10 year period, but whether this includes SW6 is yet to be seen. Assuming that SW6 isn't included in the 3, I could see the following new coasters. A new kiddie coaster to replace the Beastie, although this may form part of CCL and not Adventure Land, it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world if Adventure Land ceased to exist by 2020. Another coaster could be a thrill coaster over in Forbidden Valley/north car park, the plan does seem to suggest this as I said before. Then a family woodie in the coaster corner to accompany Spinball. Saying all of that though, I also expect a new coaster in the Black Hole tent fairly soon, so that would make 4 coaster plus SW6, and I'm not sure how realistic that would be.

I'm also pleased to hear that the Flume area is possible area for a re-theme, you've got to think that this means it will be made to fit in with Mutiny Bay, something that is definitely needed. The only thing that's missing from the plan is a mention of the Air tunnel! :P

So overall I'm pleased with what has been revealed. A rough plan still leaves room for plenty of speculation, and I think there is a lot to be excited about of the next 10 years! Sorry for the very long post, I wasn't intending it to be this long!

:)
Last edited by Rob L on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quickey
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:54 pm

I am pretty pleased with these plans.

When I first thought about an entrance in FV, I thought it would suck, as other people have said, it would be way to crowded and puts all the other attractions too far away from the entrance. I also don’t like the sound of two entrances, as I think it is nice to have one big entrance that everyone uses and gets the same experience from.

Now that they have said the new entrance would be in-between FV and GW, I am warming to the idea. It would be a huge shame to lose Towers Street with the view of the towers as you enter, but would be good for a number of reasons. First, it means that the current car parks can be used for new development and as has been stated in the plans, new permanent parking in the current overflow parking. If the overflow parking was used, it would be a fair distance for everyone to walk to get to the main entrance or monorail station, so the best option would be for a new entrance near the new parking, in-between FV and GW. As well as this, it would mean we would have a nice new modern entrance, as well as a new area to develop on the current Towers Street, entrance and VIP car park.

If the new entrance was to go ahead it would defiantly mean adjustments to the paths in the area, with possibly a new, more permanent path where Haunted Hallow is, which could possibly cut through where the flume currently is (presuming they plan to replace The Fume).

As for all of the other plans, it all sounds very exciting. New rides, accommodation and entertainment places, as well as re-themes! Wooo! :P

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:55 pm

I think the idea of a second entrance in FV would be a very wise move as an entrance for hotel guests and AP holders. It would obviously offer a fantastic exit close to the car parks too, which would ease congestion over in Towers Street and on the monorail when thousands of people are trying to leave the park all at once.

I think the next 10 years will be very exciting and it will be very interesting seeing how the park changes over that time. Much more than has over the last 10 years it seems.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

thorpeparkjunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:18 pm

I find it strange that people are excited about a woodie being built at AT. With all the amazing coasters that they could choose it seems very strange due to woodies being around many of years. I thought AT were surposed to be keeping up with the times...

Craig

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:29 pm

"thorpeparkjunkie" wrote:
I find it strange that people are excited about a woodie being built at AT. With all the amazing coasters that they could choose it seems very strange due to woodies being around many of years. I thought AT were surposed to be keeping up with the times...

Steel coasters have been around many years too? Don't write wood off just because it was used prior to steel. As with steel, the technology and boundaries for wooden coasters are being constantly improved. Some of the recent new additions such as Troy have proved they can provide a superb ride. A wooden coaster, in many people's eyes has been the missing piece in the coaster lineup for Towers for a long time.

MPDarby
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:29 pm

I think the plans seem exciting and certainly gives AT a very rosy future. To hear that there will be 6 new medium-large rides over the next 10 years is very exciting with 4 coming in the next 5 years! After all, we all love AT but the main reason we all love it is for the rides! So 6 major attractions is great!

I am very disappointed that X-Sector doesn't appear on the list of re-theming or regeneration. I love the theme of X-Sector but the area is looking dull and needs a new lease of life. Let's just hope that they just plan on updating it and that's the reason for leaving it off the list.

Also, still no mention of the Air tunnel. It's probably not big enough a project to outline in the 10 year development plan, but let's hope they do sort it in that time!
Thanks for riding the Runaway Minetrain, we hope you enjoyed your trip. Choo! Choo!

Maelstrom
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:45 pm

I think its 10 medium to large attractions over the 10 years, 4 between 2010 and 2014 and then 6 between 2015 and 2019.