UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers: 10 Year Plan Revealed!

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:28 am

Agree with Dormiens-Dave's comment above. Hopefully with the park's major plan for 2011 being scrapped at short notice, perhaps a bit of that budget will be put towards 2012, giving a great 2012 and 2013.
I'm not too disappointed about no new additions for 2011, if I am honest I wasn't really aware that parks invested in something EVERY year anyway, until I started reading people's lists on here.
With no major new attraction to advertise, I'm hoping for a slightly quieter year tbh, as the queues were awful on many of my visits last year.

I also do worry slightly about the new investments and proposals that will come in the next few years though. I think with the investment of the large B&M's in the 90's and 2000's, the park has reached it's status of the UK best theme park. They still have the best iconic coasters (for the general public) with Nemesis, Oblivion and Air. As much as there are a great team of designers working on new projects, I still think budget constraints and planning restrictions are really going to hamper the parks progress on installing another iconic coaster such as the ones above. £15m for Th13teen? They are going to have to invest a lot more than that for well themed, large scale B&M, Intamin or Mack coaster. I just can't see them doing it.

Maybe I am being a little negative here, but those are my thoughts.

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:59 am

And how many thrill years had Europapark had in the last 15 not many yet it is still probably the best themepark in Europe. I want thrill rides because i enjoy them but i also want good investment in the family rides too.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Does it honestly matter that we have nothing? It's not all that bad. What other parks get nothing in a year? Ooh..

As for thrill rides, I dunno.. I like that they've built a structure up so the most profitable and reliable returning guests are catered for - families. I far doubt they made as much recurring revenue through constant thrill marketing, or added hotel stays or extra spending which families do compared to a teen market.

AstroDan

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:55 pm

"Dormiens-Dave" wrote:
And how many thrill years had Europapark had in the last 15 not many yet it is still probably the best themepark in Europe. I want thrill rides because i enjoy them but i also want good investment in the family rides too.

To be fair EP has always been more of your CWOA target audience. EP has always been a family park and didn't have a thrill ride whatsoever until 2002.

:)

Whhistle
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:18 pm

[removed]
Last edited by Whhistle on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Account No Longer In Service.

sheepie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:48 pm

I've definitely seen those before, though it's always good to read again. Thanks for posting. :)
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Alton Towers really need to set some sort of finacial structure for future investment over the next decade or so like Tussauds did in the 90's...

I was pleased to read that Alton Towers had come up with this 10-year plan for the resort, but when it comes down to it, the plan is nothing more than a vague wish list which isn't really substantial enough. It's important for the park to set things in stone as it gives the business some sort of structure and stability, and more importantly, we don't end up with another Dung Heap...

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:20 pm

"Chrïs" wrote:
Alton Towers really need to set some sort of finacial structure for future investment over the next decade or so like Tussauds did in the 90's...

I was pleased to read that Alton Towers had come up with this 10-year plan for the resort, but when it comes down to it, the plan is nothing more than a vague wish list which isn't really substantial enough. It's important for the park to set things in stone as it gives the business some sort of structure and stability, and more importantly, we don't end up with another Dung Heap...

They do have this and financially the park is more stable now than ever before, largely thanks to Merlin. It's due to the commercially sensitive nature of the plans, that Alton Towers won't be releasing anything as detailed as what Thorpe Park did. If you share your plans too early, then you give your competitors too much time to come up with a response plan!

Blaze

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Why would they tell us the financial details? Wouldn't that give their rivals a huge help? They told us what they intend to do, they don't need to tell us every little detail, but either way, they have expressed a desire to build about 9 more medium-to-large attractions over the next 8 years. The first 5 years will have 4, so we can assume that next year and the two seasons after it will both have something new, and then every year after that. Plus all the other stuff, so it's exciting times if they can get it done, no wonder this is a quiet year. Hopefully the finances are there for it.

Satch

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Sorry to bring an old topic back, but it occurred to me earlier today that it's now been 2 years since this 10-yr plan was revealed. Can anyone pinpoint where any of this plan has been implemented?

Blaze

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:51 pm

Thirteen is one of the three coaster sites that have been filled. It's likely SW7 will go in one of the other two places, but apart from that, not much has happened so far, but it's the last five years that are going to be the busiest, or so they say.

Maelstrom
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:33 pm

according to the plan their would be 4 medium-major attractions between 2010 and 2014 so there was always going to be year with low investment. Lets hope that means we get medium to major rides for the next 3 seasons!

.Will

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:53 pm

"Maelstrom" wrote:
according to the plan their would be 4 medium-major attractions between 2010 and 2014 so there was always going to be year with low investment. Lets hope that means we get medium to major rides for the next 3 seasons!

Well it certainly looks like that. With a Beastie replacement and maybe a Black Hole replacement or new flat ride and then SW7 in 2013. It's looking good.

:D

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:43 pm

".Will""][quote=""Maelstrom" wrote:

Well it certainly looks like that. With a Beastie replacement and maybe a Black Hole replacement or new flat ride and then SW7 in 2013. It's looking good.

:D[/quote]

Ok, that happens all what we need now is A Dynamo replacement, then we can replace the knackered old flats, AT would be even more awesome again! :D
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

oldgitBEN

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:50 pm

but wasnt the 10 year plan in 3 variations, dependent on spending, ie minimal, moderate and expansive.

It would appear last year was somewhere inbetween moderate and expensive, I reckon alton would justify the latter due to the area retheme (read painting the buildings grey).

This year with one ride removed and some new crabs Id say was a minimal spend.

So while we have a general idea, we dont know which way alton are going financially, and I expect that with the current season being considered a flop I expect either:
a) minimal, the park will be protective to spend after a bad year
b) the park will push high and hard to save face and get people back

stretchy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 am

oldgitBen - My understanding of the 3 variations was that there were 3 possible paths and the proposed plan along with the details within the plan were to do with the chosen path, which was the middle one.

Even though i would love the park to switch path to the top path, I cant see it happening. I also cant see them switching to the minimal investment path. They have already alluded that SW7 is going to happen and that wouldn't happen on the minimal spend path.

Blaze

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:42 pm

There were three 'options' on the MTDP; small, medium and large investment. They ruled out large because they'd never get permission and it would be financially stupid. Small was dismissed for being stagnant and useless.

They also said that each year would be catergorised in the same way. 2010 was a large, this year small, and they said recently they opperate on a cycle, so next year is medium and the year after another large one, which fits in with the rumoured plans for next year and the all-but-confirmed SW7 in 2013.

Two observations I've made are the huge push for the resort this year, with the box office and the hotels being advertised on the back of tickets, which suggests they're really going for the resort side. The MTDP suggested the second half of it would be focused on that, so it seems they're gearing up for an expansion. Also, I hope after this year they reconsider their 'small' investment years. I know they lost the Shrek deal at the last minute, but they should have gone ahead and found someone else, rather than settle with nothing, unless you count the zorbing things, which, considering the park often introduce P2Ps for a year or so, I don't.

Satch

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Without reading back, I remember they chose the "medium" option. As part of that, the idea was for the first 5 years (2010-2014) to have 4 medium - large installations, the field car parks landscaped, the initiation of a change of the the entrance, and spinball either removed or relocated.

Of these, I can name 1 thing, Thirteen, which was known before the plans were released...