UK theme parks from another point of view!

wburgess
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Any future for the Wooden Coaster?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 am

I know it was mentioned a long time ago and sorry if this has already been answered.

But when/will Alton Towers re-submit a plan for a woodie? And the most vital question, will it resemble the original plan (the cross valley) in some form, maybe a smaller lift hill etc, or will it be a whole new design?

With the construction of SW6 almost finished, I was wondering if space was still available to construct the coaster, so i've done an overlay of the two ride plans on a google map screenshot for your viewing pleasure!

Will

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Any future for the wooden coaster?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:32 am

I believe this plans were turned down due to noise levels?

The only way I can see something like this being built is:

a) If Alton can build it without destroying half the nature/environment in the park with construction vehicles etc

b) Make it a hybrid so it runs on steel with the out of controlness of a woody

c) Get the money :P

blackholes crow
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm

here's one for you why can't they recycle the trees that thay destroy to make the woodie and theres a solution to the noise levels use pneumatic tiers
''holy crap lead wasps''. ''keep low and keep your eyes peeled boys were goin in guns blazing''
''ON THE FLOOR NOW''.''STAY DOWN OR ELSE''.

D-Man
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:25 am

^Very well though of my friend. haha

Depends on how good the wood is though and if that cross valley woodie were to be built using the trees that were knocked down...

... that would have to be a ton of trees, becuase that woodie is huge! But I suppose it could work if done right and well. :lol: :lol:
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!

wburgess
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 pm

I like the idea of tree reuse, but i'm sure it would have to be the right type of wood, and the variety of wood in the gardens is vast. And considering each type of wood expands/contracts at different rates, this could be problematic. :(

There must be some technology in place to reduce the noise of a woody, as mentioned above, has there been any implementation of noise reduction devices on a wooden coaster? Would love to see/hear (or not as the case may be :P) examples.

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Maybe someone can clarify more but im sure some wooden coasters use different compound of wheels to reduce noise levels.

I think the reason pneumatic tires are not used is because they would have a lowish relability level, and there is always the risk of a tire blow out mid ride, which could potentially cause some serious problems.

jammat
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:44 pm

"wburgess" wrote:
I like the idea of tree reuse, but i'm sure it would have to be the right type of wood, and the variety of wood in the gardens is vast. And considering each type of wood expands/contracts at different rates, this could be problematic. :(

There must be some technology in place to reduce the noise of a woody, as mentioned above, has there been any implementation of noise reduction devices on a wooden coaster? Would love to see/hear (or not as the case may be :P) examples.

Is the noise problem due to the car and track, or due to the passengers screaming their lungs out? If the latter, I'm not sure there's anything technology can do about it.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:46 pm

"jammat" wrote:
Is the noise problem due to the car and track, or due to the passengers screaming their lungs out? If the latter, I'm not sure there's anything technology can do about it.

Could always try Legoland's solution

:P

wburgess
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:56 pm

^ Ha, nice and aerodynamic!

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:28 pm

The woodie was not refused planning, Alton Towers pulled the plug before it got to the decision stage citing "the time wasn't right".

The park toyed with the idea a year or so ago, and they actually confirmed they were reviewing options for a woodie in the old coaster corner area but nothing came of this either.

I think wood is still on the management wish list so it's most certainly a case of when not if.

Benedique
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 pm

I personally would love to see a woodie @ Alton, I think it would be brilliant for them in the long run as the woodie would attract a whole new type of guest to the park, the kind of guest who doesn't really like all the complex coasters such as air/nemesis etc but instead prefers a classic sit down coaster without any loops just plain old dips and drops! I personally love any coaster but I do feel Alton lacks something 'simple' yet thrilling :mrgreen:

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:35 pm

The origional plan was refused once i think and then it was resubmitted but then pulled before the plans where re-assessed. To be honest i can't see them doing the cross valley woody as everytime it comes up a large majority of locals are dead set against them building in the valley. There was enough problems getting SW6 approved primarily because the ride dips into Abbey wood.

Thorpefandan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:06 pm

I think it's such a shame woodies are so hard to get planning for. I've only every ridden one woody, and that was such a great experience. Alton towers is just perfect for a woody but due to planning I am pretty sure they will never get one.
It\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bobs radio show.

SEALIFE
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Aren't wodden rollercoaster hard to maintain aswell? as in costs ect? :?

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:58 pm

I very much doubt this will ever happen, not for the forseeble future anyway.

Besides, they would never be able to create a themed area around one and three coasters belonging to the Dark Forest or Forbidden Valley is massively over doing it. In all honesty that side of the park has been exploited to the max - another coaster would be massively overdoing it.

:)

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:31 am

Not sure why, but I've never liked the idea of a woodie at towers, but if its anything like Stampida or Megafobia, I cant see why it wouldnt be a success.

Anyway arent you towers fans being a bit greedy? You've got a new coaster for this year lol.
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]

D-Man
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:36 am

You can never have to many coasters Scott :lol: :lol:

This has been a long time wish of mine for AT to have a woodie coaster as I feel it would finish off AT in my mind. I feel every park needs some sort of woodie coaster to give it that traditional / old theme park theme. I just hope that sometime in the future one of the wooden coaster manufacturers an come up with something that will solve the noise problem so AT can finally have what it has been waiting for...

..a good tight wooden rollercoaster! :lol: :lol:
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 am

What about the worlds first launched woodie? Thet launch would have to be made of steel to ensure theres no roughness or at least conceal steel track around wood somehow? This would eliminate the need for a huge lifthill to give the ride a decent track length and thrill?

Blaze

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:46 pm

Not for a launched wooden coaster, it isn't what they are about. The launch would have to be steel, wood could not take the strain of a decent launch. Also, with Rita having a launch and Thirteen having two small ones, there isn't a place for another launch.

I can see a family thrill wooden coaster in coaster corner/CCL, but only if they can persuade the locals that it won't be a problem.

Anonymous

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 am

Hope get wooden coaster future and Alton towers had been create First World and Europe so far.

Nemesis First Europe
Oblivion First World
Air First B&M Flying
Thirteen First World

Would see first world of wooden Coaster launch because it new will be sure popular wooden coaster!

Worry if they building full wooden and anytime catch fire burn coaster spread to wood. so best way to safe way steel with wood.

The Voyage (Holiday World) they build steel with wood it have lot tunnel, lot airtime and low twist some 90 dergee turn.

Let Hope If they planning wooden coaster and in UK last Build wooden is Oakwood in 1996 it 14 year ago.

Let Bring Wooden coaster along :D