UK theme parks from another point of view!

wehttam8002
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

X-Sector future

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 am

This post is all about the future of X-Sector

---- Post Info Added ----

I would like to know where Enterprise has gone out of X-Sector? It was'nt there in the Feb 2010 Half Term

mattbailey
TT Member
TT Member

Re: X-Sector future

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:10 am

Winter maintenance. It'll be back for main season.

wehttam8002
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:12 am

Thank You.. :) I thought it had been removed.. :)

robelobe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:19 am

I generally like the theming of X-Sector but Oblivion being my favourite ride, it definitely needs a lick of paint and a do up. And for God's sake will they do something with the Black Hole! I'd love it to be a museum of Alton Towers rides or something. If not its gotta be a new sick dark ride. :mrgreen:
Last edited by robelobe on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=150]Robe..LFC...bring on Th13teen

AWTSW90
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:03 pm

I think an X-Sector overhaul will come with the Blackhole replacement, whatever that may be in the end. There's no sense spending vast amounts of money on a retheme or heavy maintenance if it just goes unnoticed, it needs an attraction to draw the crowds back in and justify the costs. I don't really think there's much more that can be said on the future of X-Sector at the minute that hasn't been covered in other topics though...

James
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:25 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if X-Sector and the Black Hole tent get some attention in 2011 or 2012. I can't see Merlin/Alton leaving the area like it is much longer.

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:36 pm

Hmmmm, I reckon they should put some kind of shooter ride in the black hole tent.

The best one I've ever seen is in Hollywood Studios called Toy Story Mania!. You shoot at a screen wearing 3D glasses and see projectiles coming from your gun hitting objects on the screen. A pretty OTT computer game, basically.

This would enable them to scrap Duel and replace it with a proper ghost house either in Gloomy Wood or build one in the Dark Forest.

richdirk123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Black Hole is made of concrete, so I wouldn't really call it a tent.

But back on topic, I think a TriStar or Turbo Star would be a great replacement.

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:21 pm

"richdirk123" wrote:
Black Hole is made of concrete, so I wouldn't really call it a tent.

? No, it's a tent - so I really would call it a tent. :)

"richdirk123" wrote:
But back on topic, I think a TriStar or Turbo Star would be a great replacement.

Welcome to 1986 :lol:

To be honest, I don't know what the beef is with X-Sector. I think it's "pretty good" all told. Okay, it needs a new ride, but the theme is fine - it's neat, tidy and "will do". It all fits together and looks good (even now).

Yeah, it's nice to have a fresh new theme, but the area isn't exactly one suited to much. I like stark :)
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

MattH

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 pm

X-Sector doesnt need changing yet, and if they do add something to the black hole tent, it will probs be themed to x-sector.

"adsyrah" wrote:
This would enable them to scrap Duel and replace it with a proper ghost house either in Gloomy Wood or build one in the Dark Forest.

Surely you cant be serious, this idea would kill the gloomy wood and haunted hollow as we know it, i dont think merlin are that stupid to kill it off.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 pm

I find X Sector just rather dull and lifeless. Though a lot of that is due to it being in an area of the park where noise issues are a problem, so they are unable to have any audio that is too loud.

But it does have a general run down feel too it. The Black Hole tent has been standing there empty since 2005, and is looking worse with each year that passes. Oblivion track looks rather unloved and a shadow of its former self. Enterprise is looking, and sounding way past its sell by date.

I think any major overall and re-theme will be a couple of years away yet. With a major new attraction and area in Thirteen & Dark Forest this year, I feel that next year on a park ride scale will be nothing more than a flat ride or general spruce up.

I do hope that sometime between 2012-2014 that there is some major investment in X Sector, even if spread over a couple of years. It really is in need of a new flat ride, Oblivion repaint, and something for the Black Hole tent, as well as a re-theme or at the very least an expansion on the current theme.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Farquaad
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Could they fit sonic spinball in the black hole tent? I was thinking they could put it in there, add laser guns to the cars and do a 'haunted house remake' to duel, ditching the guns there and focusing on the atmosphere. It sounds dumb because im pretty sure it wouldnt fit but it would be cool.

wehttam8002
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Personally I think X-Sector should be retheamed or updated, this will attract more visitors.. That's what I think anyway.. Write back what you lot think :) :)

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:57 pm

"wehttam8002" wrote:
Personally I think X-Sector should be retheamed or updated, this will attract more visitors.. That's what I think anyway.. Write back what you lot think :) :)

Why re-theme something good for the sake of it?

Anyway you couldn't really change Oblivion.

:)

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:31 am

Obviously Oblivion is going nowhere, so i'd like to see a new ride in the BH tent, and Submission and Enterprise either replaced by one larger flat, or two similar sized flats.

I know there was a few grumbles a couple of months back with people thinking it was themed on Space and people not wanting it to be spaced themed, but to me because of the Black Hole the area has a cosmic feel to it! I know a space theme can be a bit generic and tacky, but if Merlin keep up their good theming work andyou could make people think Oblivion was re-entry...

P.S In an ideal world they'd dig further underground and make Blivvy go into the BH tent, but that's a RCT job!

Blaze

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:55 pm

They can't really re-theme X-Sector, the whole point of Oblivion is the theme, and it simply would not work as anything else.

What needs to be done is a spruce up. It is dirty and in need of repair and some TLC. This will probably happen when a new attraction is added, which the park have said they would like to do for 2011/2012, hopefully this is still the case. There is no poin t doing it now for it to fade away again when they add the new attraction, so they will do it along side it, so then the place looks nice and new for whatever they build.

They could go for a space theme, as, especially when the Black Hole was there, it was often confused as a space theme, but I prefer the current theme, which is dark and sinister, and when it ages again, it would actually, providing they kept on top of it, look better because a secret millitary/government experiment would not be bright and shiny. The theme is also closest to what the still born SW1 and 2 would have been, so it is a kind of living AT history lesson.

jomo1993
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Right, now this is not for defo, cos we were looking from the coach park, but we seemed to get the impression that oblivion had been painted, cos it looked much darker.

However, i highly doubt this is the case :?
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS

DaveFreeze
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:17 pm

I think we are all in agreement that the tent is an asset that needs to be used. I like the X sector as an area. Oblivion is the key and needs to be left. Then id simply add a black hole coaster back inside the tent. Leave enterprise where it is as a lot of families use it whilst there other memebers use oblvion. get rid of submission! So enterprise was removed for servicing, that must be a job to move it. I would have thought it would be done in the area?

Anonymous

Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:11 am

Personally, I do not see any reason (or problem) with this area. It is compact and well laid out I feel. Oblivion is the attraction you go there for primarily, and the way it becomes a boundary for the area and houses the other attractions is good.

Regarding the Black Hole tent, I only went on the ride once during its existence, it does seem daft to get rid but what can you do? To but a replica inside would be a bit of a waste though, especially after being given Th13rteen, you'd be in effect having two very similiar experiences.. along with the runaway mine train, that'd be three rollercoasters with very little variety in experience.

deeve
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:13 am

I think Alton Towers are waiting for technology to maybe throw up something interesting in the dark ride arena . Oblivion was a ride built because B&M had not got the flyer ready for 1998 so oblivion was built instead. Air was meant to go where Thirteen is but the park developers knew planning permission there would be tough. Oblivion would have probaly been placed in Forbidden Valley so who knows what X sector would be like without it. Maybe Thirteen would have been placed in X sector. Out of all the B&M rides at Alton Towers Oblivion would be the one ousted first i would have thought but i hope thats not going to be the case in the near future. Alton Towers needs some sort of 3d 4d or simulator type ride at some stage. There must be issues over the structure and costs of putting a new attraction in there. Im sure Verkoma or Mack could be approached to build a custom coaster of some kind to go in there. Oblivion repaint and some new food outlets. Replace submission with a new flat would be nice also.