UK theme parks from another point of view!

What will happen to Duel?

Poll runs till Thu Sep 28, 2051 7:37 am

1. Stay as normal
25 (21%)
2. Change back to The Haunted House
22 (19%)
3. Get improved
69 (58%)
4. Gloomy Wood\'s area will have its old soundtrack
2 (2%)

Total votes: 118

AltonTowersNerd
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Duel's future

Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:48 pm

We all know Duel's had a facial makeover from the ScareFest seasons. Now that the park's closed for its season what do you think will happen to Duel in closed season?

I'll post a poll to go with the topic.

fredward

Re: Duel's future

Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Since your asking what we think is going to happen to duel... i'm guessing nothing, besides the usual maintenance and tweaking the effects which they do every year, nothing drastic will happen to Duel.

[Archive]

Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:49 pm

Duel: General Discussion
Duel for a spruce up?
Haunted House strikes back at Duel for 2011?
Duel
Future of Gloomy Wood

Sorry, but, back seat modding, FTW!

Anyway, I think it is clear that the Haunted House will never be restored. There is a chance that the guns will finally leave in the future at some point, but not for a fairly long time. Well, at least not until the Towers feel that the ride is ready for the massive refurbishment (that's a refurbishment, I stress, NOT a retheme) that is clearly needs.

This closed season I can see a lot of work happening, hopefully more than usual. Nothing major, but I have a feeling there will be improvments to see. They have shown that they want to improve the Haunted House's bad bits, notably the Skeleton Corridor that has seen some new props/lighting here and there. I wish they would restore the skeleton in the bed, and give it a proper skull instead of that... thing on its head...

More lighting improvments, please. And please, more of the old Haunted House coming back, that would be lovely. It is unlikely we will see anything major though. But I really wish I was wrong! [-o<

Hauntedone
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Just to keep you up todate on the possible changes to Duel.
Money has been secured to do some work on the ride over the closed season.
Things that have been talked about include to repair and reinstate the hand and the magic book, also new figure for the finger zombies and some new lighting.
I've contacted Les Edwards about the old portraits and he has kindly said that if Alton want to use his pictures in the ride he would be willing to come to an agreement. I've tried to pass on this information but it doesn't seem to have been taken up. It would have been the perfect time to do it, however I am ever persistent in my quest. We do after all have the original haunted house music back in the entrance and dining room.
NB these improvements have been promised before.
However money has definitely been given for improvements.

[Archive]

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Thank you ever so much for that news! I am very glad that money has been given to at least improve the Haunted House. There is so much they could do to make it better, most of them simple things like restoring an old effect or improving the lighting in a particular scene.

Very good news. I hope the get down and have a little think about where this money will be spent and how they could bring back some of the magic to the ride. Even if the changes are minimal, I, and I am sure most others, will be pleased that the Haunted House has been given at least some attention.

Also, I am so glad they are looking into doing something with the window zombies. They are without a doubt one of the worst effects in the entire ride now. I mean, one of their sleeves are stapled on to its chest! They all have the same faces (Halloween masks) and they are just... ugh. Such a cop out to stick some shirts and masks on to the old fingers effects. Personally I think that entire scene should be gutted and restructured. It sounds as if it stopped making sense as soon as the giant was removed. I am sure Merlin Studios are very cabaple of creating something that will be: 1 - a big improvment on random, left over effects that are there now, and 2 - be continuous with the genre of the Haunted House.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:40 am

"Hauntedone" wrote:
Just to keep you up todate on the possible changes to Duel.

Things that have been talked about include to repair and reinstate the hand and the magic book, also new figure for the finger zombies and some new lighting.

Thats the best news I've heard since the Fireworks were rumoured to return! :D

"Hauntedone" wrote:
I've contacted Les Edwards about the old portraits and he has kindly said that if Alton want to use his pictures in the ride he would be willing to come to an agreement. I've tried to pass on this information but it doesn't seem to have been taken up. It would have been the perfect time to do it, however I am ever persistent in my quest.

I think I speak for everyone in saying you've got our full backing and support with that. Towers can be very stubborn, so keep persisting! :clap:

"Hauntedone" wrote:
We do after all have the original haunted house music back in the entrance and dining room.

Unfortunately not, it seemed to only appear randomely in the summer. It was full on all out Duel when I rode it on the fireworks night.

I'm hoping your games room will be restored over the closed season too. :wink:

McFlurry

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:52 am

"PeteB"&quot;][quote=&quot;"Hauntedone" wrote:
[color=#800000]Just to keep you up todate on the possible changes to Duel.

Thats the best news I've heard since the Fireworks were rumoured to return! :D

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:21 pm

"Nightfall" wrote:
sacrificing Duel in the process.

Nobody cares about losing Duel, just what remained of the Haunted House.

:)

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 pm

I find both Duel and the Haunted House a tired theme these days. Its been so overdone.

I'd rather it was knocked down and a totally unique dark ride was built. I don't see the point in removing the LEDs just so it can be a Haunted House again.

The only decent haunted house is Phantom Manor/Haunted Mansion, everything else is poor in comparison.

Give us a brand new, unique dark ride and I'll be happy.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 pm

What about removing the LEDS and having targets like on the shooting game at Drayton Manor but Alton Towers targets work. When you hit a target a spider could come down in the spider room or ghosts pop out from anywhere.

[Archive]

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Because that sounds even worse. Let's face it, guns trashed the ride and was a stupid 12 year old's XBox dream becoming reality.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:11 pm

It probably made sense to them to make it interactive what with the rise of gaming consoles at the start of the decade, by 2003 both Xbox and PS2 were out and were hugely popular.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:20 pm

The haunted house would only work again if they up dated it every year. When guests know where the things are its makes it less scary. To make a haunted house look good they just need to look at the Disney parks.
Also what I never understood about the haunted house in the first place is in most parts of the ride it didnt feel like you were in a house.

---- Post Info Added ----

"CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:
It probably made sense to them to make it interactive what with the rise of gaming consoles at the start of the decade, by 2003 both Xbox and PS2 were out and were hugely popular.

Its the same with tomb blaster they needed to make the ride move rerideable and I think the lasers work well in this ride. Just wish they kepted the rock scene at the end.