UK theme parks from another point of view!

What will happen to Duel?

Poll runs till Thu Sep 28, 2051 7:37 am

1. Stay as normal
25 (21%)
2. Change back to The Haunted House
22 (19%)
3. Get improved
69 (58%)
4. Gloomy Wood\'s area will have its old soundtrack
2 (2%)

Total votes: 118

[Archive]

Re: Duel's future

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:32 pm

"Re-ridability" is another cheap excuse.

Think about it, is there really such a thing as "reridability"? Not really.

Yes, I know what it means, but it is a silly term and not important really. Who cares how many times one person rides something? As long as the ride pulls the crowds in the first place. Riders should feel that they want to ride again because it is a great ride, not because it has some guns in it.

They didn't "need" to make it "reridable". That sounds to me like a bit of Tussaudes propaganda, to be honest. It is such a shame that a once high profile and classic ride was placed in their hands... :(

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:43 pm

"electricBlll" wrote:
"Re-ridability" is another cheap excuse.

Think about it, is there really such a thing as "reridability"? Not really.

Yes, I know what it means, but it is a silly term and not important really. Who cares how many times one person rides something? As long as the ride pulls the crowds in the first place. Riders should feel that they want to ride again because it is a great ride, not because it has some guns in it.

They didn't "need" to make it "reridable". That sounds to me like a bit of Tussaudes propaganda, to be honest. It is such a shame that a once high profile and classic ride was placed in their hands... :(

Be careful - they created the ride in the first place. :lol:

[Archive]

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Tussaudes post-glory days, that is... :wink:

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:36 pm

I only go on it to try to beat my score the previous time. With the targets you don't notice most the things in there and why im glad to ride it during scarefest with the targets turned off.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:34 am

Does anybody actually care about getting a score on it these days? It feels like less of a game now since they removed the plasma screen at the end of ride and stopped printing scores on your photos.

I think the last time I actually gave a damn about using the guns was probably 2005-2006. How sad that interest only lasted 3 years.

My girlfriend, who's a non enthusiast by the way, got board of it on her 3rd go - which was on her 2nd visit to the park. Terrible.

But Duel Live = amazing. Re-ride all day long. :D

p.s. I dont care for Skelvens Haunted Jizz, bring back the Butler from year 1. :clap:

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:14 pm

I never seen anyone buy them pictures since they took the scores off them.

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:24 pm

From my visit a few weeks ago something needs to be done to duel. There was too many dead spots in my opinion on the ride were there wasnt something going on and it made the ride feel boring.

I think the ride should go under a new theme as i dont think the park have any plans to put another
ride in that area to give it a more haunted area theme as dark forest will take over once we get a flat up there.

The park should get another character franchise and theme it into the house as i cannot see ride structure itself going for many years, it will get recycled.

The queueline going into the forest area should be scrapped and a small family flat could go there.

The only way i would want duel to keep and i think what would be a great idea would be to get a ghostbusters theme.

[Archive]

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:29 pm

I am sure many many people buy the photos and don't give a damn about scores or not. I always see people at the counter. I hadn't really actually noticed that the scores were no longer printed. It doesn't matter whether scores make people want to buy an on ride photo or not.

The point is that the "fun" offered by having guns added wears off very quickly. "Re-ridability", if such a thing is actually taken into account when creating the concept for a new ride, should come about because the ride itself is a great experience (which Alton Towers are possible of doing with a dark ride) not because of some guns. The Haunted House was designed to be the Haunted House. That did not involve guns.

Edit

Ghostbusters theme? :shock: I feel sick just thinking about it. John Wardley and Keith Sparks must be spinning in their metaphorical graves! NO IPs, NO cheap botch up jobs, NO repetition of the disasters we have seen in the past, please! :(

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Bad move Alton. I'm sure quite alot of people purchase there Onride Photo's due to the score as it's a physical representation of it. And if they do ride again and get a higher score that's a reason for them to purchase another photo.

A differant smile or facial expression while re-riding doesn't deserve another photo in my eyes.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:51 pm

"seanyboyuk" wrote:
The queueline going into the forest area should be scrapped and a small family flat could go there

That's a very good idea actually, I bet the park are already thinking about it. It makes sense to add a new flat in Gloomy Wood, a new ride would also boost the length of time people stay in Gloomy Wood and therefore in theory increasing the popularity of Duel.

Obviously it would come at a cost to the well themed woodland q line but it's never used these days and if a new flat was installed then part of it could be re-used.

:)

Blaze

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Duel should be rethemed as per my [s:1zrnwof7]dream[/s:1zrnwof7] vision from God. :lol:

Just as soon as I remember the theme tune! :P

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:48 am

Pop John an email Blaze! :wink:

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Well I like the idea that someone said, which was take the zombies and put them on a special machine. You pay to stand behind an old, bloody Duel car, and shoot laser guns at the zombies. If they reach a certain point, game over. It's duel, just outside

[Archive]

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:30 pm

So...

Rubbish, to be honest. Adding a zombie shooting gallerly would be the final insult to the Haunted House.
:|
Last edited by [Archive] on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowe

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:55 pm

I have to agree with Bill, that idea would take down the idea of a 'Haunted House' even further into the depths of Intellectual Property thanks to video games involving guns and similar weaponry. It's a terrible idea to think really, because it isn't creative and nor is it in the vein of a dark ride attraction.

You are there on those rides to have fun and sit back, to have your senses and emotions teased, letting imagination take over. Not to pick up a gun, force you to complete a task you can easily take on in a games arcade/on a games console and compete with others.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:31 pm

no, it's outdoors, and they come towards you on a hidden mechanical thingy...

[Archive]

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:20 pm

no, it's outdoors, and they come towards you on a hidden mechanical thingy...
In my opinion, that just makes it worse. It isn't as if because it is outdoors the terrible idea becomes a great potential investment. It isn't as if: "Ah, well, in that case the idea is brilliant! Why didn't Alton Towers already think of this?", if you know what I mean.

Can you really see Gloomy Wood, an area meant to be sinister and dark, with a laser zombie shoot out game stall in it? :shock:

deadwing
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:47 pm

"electricBlll" wrote:

Can you really see Gloomy Wood, an area meant to be sinister and dark, with a laser zombie shoot out game stall in it? :shock:

Laser Zombie Shootout...sounds awfully similar to...DUEL! #-o
In the coat you wore to Alton Towers is still the way I see you now...

[Archive]

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:51 pm

:clap:

Exactly my point. And is Duel a well-thought out and fitting ride for Gloomy Wood? No. THat is exactly why I used the phrase: "laser zombie shoot out". Duel is already bad and non-sensical so anything else like it will make the area worse.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:14 pm

NO, NO STALL! :x ITS JUST YOU IN THE DEEP WOODS! Well since that idea failed, how about all the zombies out doors, just with a track and a car. So Duel, outdoors... 8-[