UK theme parks from another point of view!

What will happen to Duel?

Poll runs till Thu Sep 28, 2051 7:37 am

1. Stay as normal
25 (21%)
2. Change back to The Haunted House
22 (19%)
3. Get improved
69 (58%)
4. Gloomy Wood\'s area will have its old soundtrack
2 (2%)

Total votes: 118

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Duel's future

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:01 pm

I just them to clean it up. No new storyline, just replace the old with new stuff. So more realistic zombies, better backdrops ect. [-o<

Gearwar
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:31 pm

I think that the AT need to get rid of duel (maybe not the building) but get something like they have at scare fest like boiler room or something themed like the saw live maze because these are coming back in and are pretty scary, but the ride has a hight restriction that allows three year olds on, but to be honest i don't know many three year olds that don't get scared and chicken out on rides like duel. The live maze type thing could also be good if they kept duel but added it as a new ride because iI think gloomy wood is wasted by only haveing one ride :D .

SIMR
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Yesterday, Duel (in my opinion), was running better than I'd ever seen it. Quite a few scenes I'd never seen before were lit up on the Skeleton Corridor and all of the effects were working. The biggest bug for me is the weird skeleton shell thing, where once the strobe goes off you can see all the bits you shouldn't see. The new parts in the queue look great though.

In the future, I can't see too much being changed. With the possible Black Hole replacement and SW7 coming up, it could definitely be 4-5 years until anything drastic happens. Little additions like the new queue features and Skeleton Corridor scenes every year would be nice though.

RandyChimp
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Say what you want, there's a reason why Phantom Manor has ridiculous queue times all year round, and that's because Disneyland Paris management cares about the experience. You go on the ride and you're immersed. The scenery is fantastic, the story is great to talk about and the music...well, theres no real way to describe how great the music is on Phantom Manor. Every time I go to Alton Towers, I go on Duel, all excited, and come off feeling low and cheated. I always forget how awful it is. There's such promise and hope for a ride like Duel if Alton Towers would just ditch the guns, get someone in to write a decent story, record music that doesn't sound like it was made on some PC freeware and improve the scenery. We can all say that it'd be too expensive, but this isn't exactly a failing park is it? Last time I checked, they had enough money to build two roller coasters in the space of three years. Putting in a bit of theming and music shouldn't cost that much and I personally think it's possible if they'd pull their thumb out and get to it!

Rant over!

Do do do do do do dooo, do do doooo, do do dooo, do do do do do do do do do do do do dooooo!

No-one recognised Hall Of The Mountain King? Maybe I typed it wrong!

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:56 pm

In general apart from Vahalla at BPB there really isn't a world class dark ride in the UK so to speak.

Look at how well the Dungeons chain is themed! Put that type of theming into a ride along with an amazing soundtrack and obviously a ride and back story then you'd have a high standard dark ride.

Why the UK feel the need to focus on big, thrill seeking roller coasters every couple of years i will never know.

Thorpe park will always go down that route, but i feel with Alton and Chessie theres so much more atmosphere, they both lack an amazing, world class dark ride.

Is it too much to ask for?!
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

RandyChimp
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:01 pm

How hard is it to come up with a decent story? Okay, here goes (off the top of my head):

Caretaker at Alton Towers in the early 30's maybe, stalked a number of villagers, kidnapped and tortured them. Eventually, he was killed by local policemen who felt legal justice was too leniant on people like him. They never found the people he kidnapped and tortured. His house on Alton Towers grounds remained standing, forgotten over time. However, locals have reported strange sightings and noises coming from that area of the land. When the theme park was built on the land, the house was uncovered, disturbed by builders. No-one knows what happened to them, only that they dissapeared and weren't heard from again. Now guests are invited to explore the old house, and as they do, they uncover the mystery of the unhinged caretaker and his victims.

Obviously not for kids, and it's a sloppy idea, but along those lines, it could be a decent scary dark ride. Seriously, they don't have to cater EVERYTHING to children, they have enough rides to go on in the park, give us one that has an age limit or something.

Do do do do do do dooo, do do doooo, do do dooo, do do do do do do do do do do do do dooooo!

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:16 pm

"RandyChimp" wrote:
How hard is it to come up with a decent story? Okay, here goes (off the top of my head):

Caretaker at Alton Towers in the early 30's maybe, stalked a number of villagers, kidnapped and tortured them. Eventually, he was killed by local policemen who felt legal justice was too leniant on people like him. They never found the people he kidnapped and tortured. His house on Alton Towers grounds remained standing, forgotten over time. However, locals have reported strange sightings and noises coming from that area of the land. When the theme park was built on the land, the house was uncovered, disturbed by builders. No-one knows what happened to them, only that they dissapeared and weren't heard from again. Now guests are invited to explore the old house, and as they do, they uncover the mystery of the unhinged caretaker and his victims.

Obviously not for kids, and it's a sloppy idea, but along those lines, it could be a decent scary dark ride. Seriously, they don't have to cater EVERYTHING to children, they have enough rides to go on in the park, give us one that has an age limit or something.

That sounds terrorfying for a park that is aimed at families...

RandyChimp
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:47 pm

"dominoes" wrote:
That sounds terrorfying for a park that is aimed at families...

I get that its a family park, but we have films, games, music and tv shows aimed at adults and teens, why can't we have rides? I'm tired of parks pussyfooting around in order to please EEEEEEEVERYONE. One ride that kids cant go on won't hurt!

sheepie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:34 am

There is a reason why a lot of attractions are designed to cater for the widest spectrum of people possible: profit.

All rides at Alton Towers need to be appealing to guests, even the 1.4m attractions appeal to 12 year olds and upwards. The more people who get to experience an attraction and enjoy it, then the more likely they're going to come back, recommend the park and bring others and spend more money!

Alton Towers would never alienate their guests- which is why a lot of the time spectators are able to walk in amongst the attractions such as Nemesis, Air and Oblivion in an attempt to entertain them and involve them in the show.

There is no reason why an attraction can't have much darker tones. There are attractions out there that are terribly sinister, but unless you were old enough to really understand the emotional impact of what the story is implying then it will go over people's heads. It just needs to be done in a sophisticated, subtle way.
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:10 pm

Maybe if it was "he kidnapped them, and they dissapeared", and forget the "he tortured them"

RandyChimp
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:01 pm

Well like I said, it was off the top of my head, I was just throwing an idea I had for a dark ride out there, I'm not saying that's exactly what they should have, but I don't think they should dumb it down or make it boring, because at the moment, Duel is depressingly dull.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:32 pm

oh no no, it was a good idea... somebody should make a film like that come to think of it...

RandyChimp
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:34 pm

I dunno, seemed a bit too simple for a film. It would work for a ride backstory, since the events afterwards would be experienced by riders, but on film, it would be a bit random to cut from the 1930's to present day just to have a ghost story in the woods, especially with a detailed explanation of what happened back then.

lucky13
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:14 am

I do love the cheeseness of duel and most families would agree a good fun ride with a few frights. For me though would love the guns to be gone. I do think a small wild mouse ride would be great (like the one at blackpool but safer and prob steel) tight small sharp turns a few drops small and bunny hops . The ride no doubt will stay families love the cheese lol

You know what the indoor section of 13 would have been brilliant for the hh
Thats how we roll SLIDERS

Farquaad
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:43 pm

OMG magic book working!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1IRaxU8P8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1IRaxU8P8[/url]

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:07 pm

I feel that Duel needs to be turned into a more realistic ride, I do like it at the moment, but there are still areas that lose the theme, like areas where you can see the corrugated iron walls of the building, I think just small things like convering that up can make a big difference. :D

Also lose the entire flourescent sections of the ride and replace them with good lighting!
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

RandyChimp
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:10 pm

"AltonThorpe" wrote:
I feel that Duel needs to be turned into a more realistic ride, I do like it at the moment, but there are still areas that lose the theme, like areas where you can see the corrugated iron walls of the building, I think just small things like convering that up can make a big difference. :D

Also lose the entire flourescent sections of the ride and replace them with good lighting!

I agree that would be a significant improvement. At least 70% of the ride I could see the ceiling tiles of the building, which sort of kills it for me. Is it just me that thinks it could benefit from being just a regular dark ride. Ditch some of the more open areas of the ride and make it a bit more confined, with flickering candlelights, creepy wallpaper, subtle anamatronic effects and such.

DanceInTheDark
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Now there is Dark Forest, I feel as though Gloomy Wood needs a re-theme. However, with the section being small there isn't much to be placed there. I also understand about the kiddys wanting a scary ride also if they aren't allowed to ride TH13TEEN... Just my opinion though.

monsterdan5

Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Yeah I agree - they are a little to similar :?

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:51 pm

But Gloomy Wood IS actually a wood. Dark Forest is an open space with some plastic-stone-looking game stalls. If you look hard enough you might spot the odd tree! Hardley a forest.

I know which one I prefer. 8)