UK theme parks from another point of view!

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:42 pm

Although I agree with you coasterdude about the room being built for a circular attraction, the control room, isn't a problem, rides such as Hurakan Condor at PortAventura have the control room at on side with the attraction in the middle and they cannot see the carriages at the other side of the column but ride hosts operate it from different locations so that wouldn't be a problem :)

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:47 pm

"Rollercoasters4Life" wrote:
Heres my take on it:

The red lines showing the path for guests. Notice how the two different lifts don't cross even in the ride area - they will mix after the exit lift sequence and exit out of the building to the shop. Although the two corner sections can be gates that staff can use to get in between the two sections but guests can't. Basically the two pre-batch areas are filled with 16 people each then they go into the lifts - the lifts simulate you going down into the catacombs or whatnot and then you get on the ride. Once the ride is over you take the exit lift with the same people you took the entrance lift with. In the middle can be some sort of theming that moves or interacts maybe?

Totally agree that this is the likelyhood. I expect some mega themeing in the centre.

Also, the ride op cabin is fine. There would be a member of staff positioned directly opposite with an emergency stop button.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:01 pm

Sir Algenon - Have you been on extremis?

If so, surely you'd agree with the majority of us that it's a pretty god damn decent ride to have - particular with these preshow and postshow areas (which I could imagine could be television screens in the lifts, or effects happening or maybe even something as special as the area in phantom manor).

CAWBieber
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:05 pm

If it was a round ride what would it be?? Because I can't see a round ride fitting in with the theme!

theflamingbrick
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:11 pm

"coasterdude_1" wrote:

Especially now that the start of the ride will be at 'ground' level, I think the possibility of drop towers is OUT. When the total drop was 9m, fair enough, but 5 metres? REALLY? That's like me jumping out a first floor window. aka not very exciting.

I personally think that the ride isn't a drop tower also.

However, your statement here may not necessarily be the case as the ride could just start half way up! You enter at that level of 187.15m. The floor could move away as you rise that 4m or so above ground and you could plummet the entire length including the 6m below ground. The stairs would therefore be a means of evacuation if the ride had to shut down at the bottom of the drop.

Again, I don't think it's a drop tower either, but if it was one, it may not be as small as people think.

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:14 pm

"thefatone" wrote:
Sir Algenon - Have you been on extremis?

If so, surely you'd agree with the majority of us that it's a pretty god damn decent ride to have - particular with these preshow and postshow areas (which I could imagine could be television screens in the lifts, or effects happening or maybe even something as special as the area in phantom manor).

No, I haven't been on Extremis but I agree, it looks a very good ride, and it looks like it packs a good thrill and Im not doubting that, the ride itself is great - the point im making is if the ride is on ground level, then the max drop is 5metres which makes it identical to TH13TEEN, therefore in this case I would prefer 'ATR2012' to be something else. :)

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:17 pm

"CAWBieber" wrote:
If it was a round ride what would it be?? Because I can't see a round ride fitting in with the theme!

I and a few others think it will be a 5D ride like Vengeance at the London Dungeon, It's unique, it includes elements of a 4D cinema, last years proposed attraction and fits into the space provided perfectly! Have a look a few pages back where I listed the perks. :D

Jollylee11
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Its a very nice idea's for the drop tower, i firstly want to say well done to Nightfall + others for making such great details drawings of what they think of the ride...
Back on topic:
I see where people are getting at but thats a very huge area for just theming, many people might wonder around forgetting the whole ride itself
The drop wouldn't be very scary, it would just be
Lift
Small drop
Lift
Shop
The whole ride is just little dropping up and down all way through the ride
I agree with siralgenon, its an waste of a ride
The abc drop towers or other 4D sims/rides would make me a happy fanboy

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:42 pm

"siralgenon" wrote:
No, I haven't been on Extremis but I agree, it looks a very good ride, and it looks like it packs a good thrill and Im not doubting that, the ride itself is great - the point im making is if the ride is on ground level, then the max drop is 5metres which makes it identical to TH13TEEN, therefore in this case I would prefer 'ATR2012' to be something else. :)

Well, to be polite, without going on it, you honestly cannot tell what the ride experience is like. It's nothing like a frog hopper, and it's definitely not like thirteen. It packs a punch, more related to detonator, albeit a tiny drop. The darkness makes it.

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:51 pm

I dont get why the park would go for a drop tower? They have a drop system in thirteen already.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:04 pm

If this 'something special' that was hinted at for 2012 is just an extremes copy, then it not only screams copycat, it screams lazy! Very unlike Alton Towers...

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:06 pm

My money's on something like Vengeance but with 4 screens, one on each wal. The centre area would be seating but on a rotating platform. I can imagine if they did use screens on each wall they would be huge (spiderman like) 3D screens.

Maybe the rotating seating area could lift and drop and certain points as well? So the ride becomes like a hybrid 4D cinema with a simulator?

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:07 pm

A 5m drop? LMAO... the Frog Hopper is taller than that! :lol:

If Blackpool and London Dungeons both have Extremis rides then why would Alton need something similar too? Th13teen was built only 2 years prior as well so there's really not much point in installing smaller drop towers. :roll:

Suddenly everyone has grown fond of the idea that this could have some kind of simulator element and a few of us suggested that many pages back but everyone thought it was a daft idea. What's going on? :?

SIMR
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:07 pm

At the minute I'm at a loss as to why they would be putting a '"5D" Vengeance style ride there. We already have Duel for the shooting ride, and with the supposed Ice Age 4D being but in CCL Theatre, is there really any need for a combination of the two, plus a gimmicky 5 instead of a 4?

I have to agree with SirAlgenon and Coasterdude though, if there are 4 drop towers on separate walls then it wouldn't work, two towers would be obstructed from sight *if* there is theming in the middle. If not, we will be left with a crappy drop tower with no theming. Edit: Nevermind about this bit, I just read the comments about the ride operators on the other side with emergency stop buttons, my bad.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:24 pm

There is such a thing as CCTV. The ride opps on Th13teen can't see anything outside the station but they manage, guess how?

The same goes for Hex. The ride opp can't actually see anything besides the outside of the drum but they have CCTV of the inside.

I will just note that my opinion on simulators and 3D screens hasn't changed. I can imagine they would build a Vengeance ride like PeteB suggested (and it certainly will fit the space) but I suspect it won't be anywhere near as good as we'd like it to be.
My view on drop towers hasn't changed either. I think it's a very bad idea to build one just two years after a very similar ride. However I also believe Alton would do something foolish like that. I also trust the people who have hinted “drop tower” for the last few months.

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:26 pm

It could be the robot arm system to throw you off the walls towards the theming with a bility to twist they would take the same space as the drop tower but the machinery would also be under the floor and i doubt the harry potter theme park still have exclusive rights cow the park has launched their coaster.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:30 pm

"SIMR" wrote:
We already have Duel for the shooting ride

But a Vengeance style ride would mean Duel could be converted back to a normal scare house.

:)

SIMR
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:33 pm

^ As amazing as that sounds, do you really think Merlin would go to the extent of removing the hundreds of LEDs plastered all over the place and put the ride back to its old standard, knowing 95% of people that visit Alton don't even know about the Haunted House and see Duel as a good ride anyway?

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:37 pm

"thefatone""][quote=""siralgenon" wrote:

Well, to be polite, without going on it, you honestly cannot tell what the ride experience is like. It's nothing like a frog hopper, and it's definitely not like thirteen. It packs a punch, more related to detonator, albeit a tiny drop. The darkness makes it.[/quote]

Did you actually read what I said? I said it looks like a good ride and I never said it was like a Frog Hopper, All I said was that it wouldn't work at Alton and a 5D attraction would be better! :roll:

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:48 pm

"SIMR" wrote:
^ As amazing as that sounds, do you really think Merlin would go to the extent of removing the hundreds of LEDs plastered all over the place and put the ride back to its old standard, knowing 95% of people that visit Alton don't even know about the Haunted House and see Duel as a good ride anyway?

Oh no, the whole ride would have to be revamped with new scenes and new effects.

Hopefully retaining a few of the classic props and scenes (electric bill, the undertaker, grand hall, trommels tunnel etc).

:)