UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1100
Joined: October 2007

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Suprised indeed they are adopting the nemesis theme to the ride but its a good one indeed to do!
Maybe this greatest ride of all time campaign was to find which ride to theme it along side with for 2012?

If blivy was no1 maybe the bh tent would have been used????????
 
Maelstrom
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 449
Joined: May 2004

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:40 pm

The planning application was submitted before the greatest ride campaign finished and would have been in design well before the campaign even started.
 
User avatar
AT TeeJay
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 149
Joined: March 2011
Location: London

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:03 pm

"seanyboyuk" wrote:
Suprised indeed they are adopting the nemesis theme to the ride but its a good one indeed to do!
Maybe this greatest ride of all time campaign was to find which ride to theme it along side with for 2012?

If blivy was no1 maybe the bh tent would have been used????????


Interesting idea but I think as above has said they were submitted before the All Time Great competition, however it would of made the competition a lot better if they had added that as a incentive.
---- You\'d Better Not Go Alone ---
 
corkscru74
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 67
Joined: September 2011

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Ok, so I wasn't expecting to find much, if anything, reading the comic - would have thought it was just an old souvenir piece that no-one working on this project would have paid any attention to but....

It's about a bunch of cultists who worship Nemesis. And where do these cultists happen to live? The Catacombs!First mention of the Catacombs

Catacombs....catacombs, now where have I heard that before? :D

And here we have some detail of what the Catacombs look like.

Everything's fitting into place! :lol:
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
 
User avatar
siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1176
Joined: October 2010
Location: Bubbly Wubbly Pool in the Alton Towers Waterpark

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:18 pm

"corkscru74" wrote:
Ok, so I wasn't expecting to find much, if anything, reading the comic - would have thought it was just an old souvenir piece that no-one working on this project would have paid any attention to but....

It's about a bunch of cultists who worship Nemesis. And where do these cultists happen to live? The Catacombs!First mention of the Catacombs

Catacombs....catacombs, now where have I heard that before? :D

And here we have some detail of what the Catacombs look like.

Everything's fitting into place! :lol:


Could the ride be something to do with retrieving the book?
Image
Image
Image
 
corkscru74
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 67
Joined: September 2011

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:28 pm

"siralgenon" wrote:
Could the ride be something to do with retrieving the book?


Possibly. Although the book is destroyed at the end of the story there's no reason why the ride can't just be a retelling and have the riders tasked with fighting back the newly awakened Nemesis.

Or, could the ride be splitting us into two opposing factions - The Cultists vs The Phalanx Soldiers. The ride becoming a battle to either resurrect or destroy the creature. Would definitely add re-rideability with different briefings being given to the two groups and then two separate endings depending on who won. By my calculations that's 4 rides before you've seen everything it has to offer (Soldier Win/Soldier Lose & Cultist Win/Cultist Lose).
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
 
User avatar
Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2730
Joined: September 2009
Location: Cambridge

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:44 pm

"what lies beneath?" isn't a name it's a question.

I very much hope the ride has its own name. We already have enough problems with Nemesis Inferno being referred to as Nemesis and that’s at another park. Films get away with it because you rarely see them in cinema at the same time. "Nemesis: what lies beneath?" should be the catchphrase or sub-name.


That aside :shock: they're actually going to base this ride on Nemesis! Awesome (although not entirely unexpected). Like with the Legend of the Chained Oak the Nemesis legend is a really solid back-story and should give them an excellent starting point for a good story.

Originally I was going to point out that this ride would either be really bad or really good depending on how well they use the source material. But as corkscru74 has pointed out there are Catacombs in the original Nemesis story. Nobody pointed this out until now so I can only assume whoever is working on this knows the back-story better than most of us.

But this still doesn’t change my view on the rides mechanism. I don't buy all this "part of a bigger experience" idea because any really great attraction should be able to stand alone and still be a good ride, hence why I loved Mystery Castle. Simple drop towers like the ones ABC just don’t do anything that particularly excite me, themed or not. Just my opinion.
Image
 
User avatar
moog666
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 335
Joined: August 2009
Location: Liverpool

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:03 pm

"DDF14""][quote=""DiogoJ42" wrote:
This ride will have nothing to do with Nemesis. If it does, I'll eat my pirate hat :yohoho:


Ketchup or mayonaise dude !!! :lol: [/quote]

I just laughed so hard some wee came out.

Im really looking forward to this now. But I should raise the point that if this is not a good ride (which I doubt) it could be damaging to the Nemesis name.
Image

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.
 
User avatar
siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1176
Joined: October 2010
Location: Bubbly Wubbly Pool in the Alton Towers Waterpark

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:11 pm

"Nightfall" wrote:
"what lies beneath?" isn't a name it's a question.

I very much hope the ride has its own name. We already have enough problems with Nemesis Inferno being referred to as Nemesis and that’s at another park. Films get away with it because you rarely see them in cinema at the same time. "Nemesis: what lies beneath?" should be the catchphrase or sub-name.


That aside :shock: they're actually going to base this ride on Nemesis! Awesome (although not entirely unexpected). Like with the Legend of the Chained Oak the Nemesis legend is a really solid back-story and should give them an excellent starting point for a good story.

Originally I was going to point out that this ride would either be really bad or really good depending on how well they use the source material. But as corkscru74 has pointed out there are Catacombs in the original Nemesis story. Nobody pointed this out until now so I can only assume whoever is working on this knows the back-story better than most of us.

But this still doesn’t change my view on the rides mechanism. I don't buy all this "part of a bigger experience" idea because any really great attraction should be able to stand alone and still be a good ride, hence why I loved Mystery Castle. Simple drop towers like the ones ABC just don’t do anything that particularly excite me, themed or not. Just my opinion.


Terror of the Towers had 'What Lies Within?' In it's name so it would be perfectly normal I think for the ride to have a question in it's title :)
Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2730
Joined: September 2009
Location: Cambridge

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 pm

But you don't say "I'm just going on What lies within" you say "I'm going on Terror of the Tower". Likewise you wouldn't say "I'm going on What lies beneath?" you'd say "I'm going on Nemesis".
Oh wait...

Do you get what I mean? People shorten ride names to whatever’s easiest to say. If the ride turns out to be called Nemesis: what lies beneath? There’s no way to shorten it that doesn’t sound wired.

It’s a cool phrase and would work as a films name but not as a ride. I think just like “surrender to the daemon of the dark forest” this is a promotional message and not a name. They’re asking the guests to question what might be beneath Nemesis, then stating the truth will be “unleashed 2012”.
Image
 
corkscru74
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 67
Joined: September 2011

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:42 pm

"siralgenon""][quote=""Nightfall" wrote:
"what lies beneath?" isn't a name it's a question.


Terror of the Towers had 'What Lies Within?' In it's name so it would be perfectly normal I think for the ride to have a question in it's title :)[/quote]
I think what Nightfall is saying is that they believe it is placeholder text as in "Nemesis - What's coming 2012?" rather than being the final name for the ride.

I think if they are using Nemesis in the title of the ride (which, if it's anything to do with the story, it absolutely should be) a subtitle like "What Lies Beneath?" is better at distinguishing it from the main coaster than calling it Nemesis: Catacombs. Although I still stand by my statement that if anyone confuses the Coaster and the Dark Ride they probably shouldn't be allowed out unsupervised.
Last edited by corkscru74 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
 
User avatar
siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1176
Joined: October 2010
Location: Bubbly Wubbly Pool in the Alton Towers Waterpark

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Yes, I understand what you mean in that sense, but I still think it would be okay as a ride name - you'd just have to say it all :lol:
Image
Image
Image
 
DiogoJ42

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:52 pm

So I take it I'm the only one who thinks the Nemesis brand has been raped enough already by Thorpe, and should be left alone?
 
User avatar
Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2730
Joined: September 2009
Location: Cambridge

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:59 pm

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
So I take it I'm the only one who thinks the Nemesis brand has been raped enough already by Thorpe, and should be left alone?
Probebly not but for now yep I'd say you are :P As long as they stick to the rough story It won't affect my enjoyment of Nemesis.
Image
 
.Will

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:13 pm

I hope this means a new Nemesis Comic and drink.

We can all go back to the 90s and wear knitted jumpers with pudding bowl hair cuts.

:P
 
User avatar
SIMR
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 387
Joined: October 2009
Location: Manchester

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:36 pm

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
So I take it I'm the only one who thinks the Nemesis brand has been raped enough already by Thorpe, and should be left alone?


You're forgetting that one park is crap and would never be able to live up to Nemesis, and the other is the birthplace of the ride :wink:

I am extremely happy that they have chosen to base it around Nemesis, although, Nemesis: What Lies Beneath, Terror of the Towers: What Lies Within? What next, Duel: What Lies Inside? The Nemesis theme in my opinion was their best option, and the good news is that now they know that if they screw it up and spoil Nemesis' name, they are going to lose a lot of fans.

Also, on the map, you can see posters on the boards surrounding the ride. I can make out black and yellow diagonal stripe things which to me suggests the pattern you get on mining machinery etc. and also there's some kind of yellow road sign type of thing, but it looks like a radioactive sign to me :?
Image
 
AstroDan

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:37 pm

I think it adds a great coherence to the park areas, if attractions are linked together. This will be a great boost for such a classic rollercoaster also.

Almost recognition from Merlin of its class.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
Sam
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 5557
Joined: May 2008
Location: People's Socialist Republic of Sheffield
Contact:

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:46 pm

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
So I take it I'm the only one who thinks the Nemesis brand has been raped enough already by Thorpe, and should be left alone?

Yes you are. We get it, you hate drop towers Diogo! If you find literally everything about this ride negative because you're annoyed they picked a ride type you don't like, then click here. ;)

I think this is AWESOME. Nemesis is my favourite ride ever, so I love the idea of a (proper) sequel! Also the best part... this is a definite sign that Nemesis will be with us for a long time to come! :D
 
AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 356
Joined: March 2010

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Wow, I never expected this. Honestly, I even thought that whole stupid 'Vertigo' bullcrap was more likely than this. I really thought that the ride would have absolutely nothing to do with Nemesis. The name for it, if it remains the actual name, actually sounds pretty decent too. The more I think about it, the more potential there is for a good story revolving around the Nemesis alien, so I think all this new info is incredibly positive. Not only that, it finally means that there will be some Nemesis merchandise! It's been far too long.
Image
 
User avatar
BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2262
Joined: June 2010
Location: South East Cheshire
Contact:

Re: 2012: New Attractions

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:25 pm

This ride being themed to Nemesis might help Nemesis, but it could potentially drag it down. Knowing it will be linked with Nemesis, it's got a lot to live up to now. They haven't half set themselves a challenge! :P

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests