UK theme parks from another point of view!

ATJakee96

Mack Watercoaster Replace The Flume ?

Tue May 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Well i though that becuase The Flume is now one of the parks oldest attractions (its not in the best shape, it does look tatty and doesnt really fit into a theme for any area.
I though that for 2012 (or future years) a mack watercoaster could be placed, it could be heavily themed into a pirate water attraction. Also featuring interactive water cannons (battle galleons you say) also water features making it a better ride experience. Maybe a water finale at the end with water cannons and a coaster drop, maybe even a storyline to add to the attractions. Please tell me what you think.

AdrenalineAlex

Re: Mack Watercoaster Replace The Flume ?

Tue May 03, 2011 5:10 pm

A water coaster would be amazing, just saying :)

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 5:24 pm

As much as I love water coasters, there's far too many wet rides at Alton Towers. Our climate isn't suitable for wet rides, and the odd one here and there is enough for any UK themepark, but Alton have too many. They are just rides you'd be happy to miss out on for 75% of the season. Making them pointless investments.

The flume site is an ideal location for either a regular coaster or a very large (and ground breaking) dark ride.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 5:38 pm

A Water Coaster would be excellent but If it's chosen to be Mack I hope they’ve improved on the design since Europa parks Poseidon because the coaster part is poor. That's not saying Poseidon’s a bad ride but the cart design is quite crude, it’s basically just a boat with wheels on. I much preferred the nearby Atlanticas carts but as far as I’m aware they only sell the Water Coasters with the older models.

One thing Mack does very well is the splashdown. It's fun but more importantly looks much wetter than it is. I tend to find the ideal water ride either completely drenches riders or makes it seem like you'll get very wet and come off quite dry. Macks Water Coasters are very good at the second.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 5:47 pm

"PeteB" wrote:
there's far too many wet rides at Alton Towers.

Are there really? :?

An ageing log flume, rapids and a splash battle? Ripsaw does not count really as the jets are just an element added to the ride.

None of these are ground-breaking in any shape or form either.

:)

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Slightly worried about the pirate theme (think Legoland, and the pirate land at Alton Towers) but a water coaster would be great!

ATJakee96

Tue May 03, 2011 5:54 pm

"dominoes" wrote:
Slightly worried about the pirate theme (think Legoland, and the pirate land at Alton Towers) but a water coaster would be great!

I know what you mean there, maybe an african theme to blend in with katanga Canyon, they could even change where the entrance is , so it is closer to where Katanga is, i feel the entrance would be too near to mutiny bay if it was to be themed african

AstroDan

Tue May 03, 2011 5:55 pm

A water coaster would be good, although I pretty much agree with nightfall regarding the boat design and coaster itself.

It would batter the hell out of Flume!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Blaze

Tue May 03, 2011 5:57 pm

All theme parks worth their salt need a log flume, so when The Flume retires, they should build another one. The new Intamin Shoot-the-Rapids would be good. I'd like a water coaster, either a Mack or an Intamin Aquatrax (which, of the two, I'd prefer), to go in somewhere, either on the site and a new flume ride built elsewhere (Nick building, maybe?) or in a new location.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 5:58 pm

What about stay with the duck theme. It could still have the tree house bit, just it could be more thrilling. So, for example, that duck appears, and as you are distracted, you suddenly do a sudden steep drop?

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 6:24 pm

I think they need to rehab the Flume or replace it with another Log Flume. Like Blaze said, Log Flume's are pretty much a staple of every decent theme park. I would like to see the whole area overhauled and re-themed into the Mutiny Bay theme, add some water cannons into the lake, maybe some rockwork to disguise the channel. And bring the Blade or a new Pirate Ship into the lake.
I'm not sure a Mack water coaster would really work as a replacement. As has been said above, they are not great rides really. The drops are fun, but they are pretty bulky and may end up looking worse that the Flume does now.
Also, that Shoot-The-Rapids in Cedar Point looks terrible. Very dull.

Blaze

Tue May 03, 2011 7:51 pm

There arn't really any modern flume rides being built these days, it probably would have to be one of the new Intamin ones. And it's a flume ride, it's not going to look exciting, is it? :P

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 8:04 pm

"Dylan" wrote:
I would like to see the whole area overhauled and re-themed into the Mutiny Bay theme, add some water cannons into the lake, maybe some rockwork to disguise the channel. And bring the Blade or a new Pirate Ship into the lake.

Cliche much?

Isn't this meant to be Alton Towers, the park that does things a bit different?

:|

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Not sure, I think people still get excited about flumes. They still attract large queues in all parks I have visited. It just seems to be a staple part of a theme park for me.
I wouldn't suggest that Alton install a brand new system and advertise it as 'the best new flume ride experience in the world'. Just revamp it to give it a new lease of life. Theme the drop area. How much better does Europa's flume drop look with some wood and some fake rockwork. It's just little things.

El Patricko
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Well the duck theme is just awful, any theme would work better in my interpretation of taste :)

The thing with water rides is they seem to work well as a "social" experience, how many times do you remember who it was who got an extra soaking on the rapids or the flume, rather than how thrilling the ride was? This makes me think that firstly, yes the flume needs replacing in the next 5 to 7 years. And secondly it needs to be just as much a free movement "three men in a boat" experience, rather than anything heavily restrained and intense.
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 8:26 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris""][quote=""Dylan" wrote:
I would like to see the whole area overhauled and re-themed into the Mutiny Bay theme, add some water cannons into the lake, maybe some rockwork to disguise the channel. And bring the Blade or a new Pirate Ship into the lake.

Cliche much?

:|[/quote]

Are we suggesting that the ducks and bathtubs is a better touch. I'd go for the cliche any day :)

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2011 9:03 pm

"Dylan""][quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""][quote=""Dylan" wrote:

Cliche much?

:|[/quote]

Are we suggesting that the ducks and bathtubs is a better touch. I'd go for the cliche any day :)[/quote]

Back when they first did the retheme (2004) it looked prettty fresh and unique for a flume ride, but the key difference then is that it actually worked with the area, which at the time was Merrie England.

In the right setting (as someone has mentioned CCL), the theme would be awesome, particularly if it was indoors where the theming can't get green from algae or sun bleached. The problem now is we have the park's oldest ride, complete with dirty concrete, dank tunnels and half rotten wood - but patched and dressed up as a fresh, funky bathtime ride.

But, despite the bleached theming feature on the lake, the Flume isnt really tacky at all. The gold/brass painted metalwork, taps and showerheads as well as the old fashioned red bathtubs all add up to one quintessentially british style ride, which you accept at face value and nothing else - a bit of fun.

daveclarkedaveclarke
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 04, 2011 12:53 pm

how about a dark wet ride? something simular to valhalla of BPB? that could be themed really well and fit into the surroundings

Rob_Green94
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 07, 2011 5:35 pm

^^^^^^^ YES.

Blaze

Sat May 07, 2011 8:00 pm

A family version of Valhalla in the Nick building or to replace Charlie/Compiment a rethemed Charlie would be great, much better than a 'standard' flume, and would open this space for a semi-thrilling water coaster/aquatrax in the current location.