UK theme parks from another point of view!

gaz1313
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Interesting Wardley Sightings

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 pm

Good evening!

Was on park on Tuesday, eating lunch in the burger king in Mutiny Bay/ Katanga Canyon in the seating next to the flume queue, and witnessed what was a very interesting sight. A certain Mr Wardley, large papers in hand, standing between the blue flume queue fence and the fence next to the seats, near opposite the Katanga Canyon sign, constantly looking at his papers, and surveying the area, standing still, but looking towards the flume, then the Katanga Canyon sign, and slightly to the right of this, but in general this area. Could this be a possible flume replacement? It was almost like he was looking at a profile of some sort, and matching it up to the landscape. Very interesting stuff.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but really didn't know where to put it as it is so vague.

djtruefitt

Re: Interesting Wardley Sightings

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:56 pm

:O

This could be the next location for the next SW for 2013 or indeed the 2012 ride! Certainly exciting stuff (well its about the most exciting thing to happen at Alton Towers in 2011..), you should have gone over and started quizzing him.

AltonOllie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 am

I had just emailed him yesterday (just a fanmail) and said I hoped I'd meet him on-park some day. Glad to see he still visits aside from anything else!

And yeah, either that or he was just being suspicious and teasing! :wink: I'm sure it's a well kept secret.

gaz1313
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:31 am

As a random member of the GP, no one would know who he is, some staff aknowledged him on their way to the flume, but apart from that he's just an inconspicuous and slightly dated (wearing a sheepskin jacket)

Impressive teasing :D

I think he clocked us after a while, after I turned around to see my other half staring at him for about 5 minutes! :P

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:02 am

"djtruefitt" wrote:
:O

This could be the next location for the next SW for 2013 or indeed the 2012 ride! Certainly exciting stuff (well its about the most exciting thing to happen at Alton Towers in 2011..)

Might not mean anything. John was also spotted earlier this year taking measurements and "surveying" land in the Air car park. The mystery continues... :-k
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:41 am

This is probably just a deflective tactic. There are many hours of daylight outside of normal opening hours when he could do this sort of thing unnoticed by anyone.

Blizzard
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:42 am

"Tom G" wrote:
This is probably just a deflective tactic. There are many hours of daylight outside of normal opening hours when he could do this sort of thing unnoticed by anyone.

Yes, but he may need to note the way people move around thyat are and where the best place for the entrance of a possible ride would work best, or if it wouldnt work at all.

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:46 am

There's just so much you could do with the flume site in terms of a family coaster for 2012..

I'm thinking a high capacity aquatrax could be on the agenda.

A5H

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm still sticking to my idea that the new SW will be replacing The Flume and will be something similar to Poseidon :D as soon as a new SW was announced I said this :)

AstroDan

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:47 pm

I am going with the Forbidden Valley idea. I simply can't see some form of Mack water coaster as a SW. Alton will thrill us with a big, meaty 1.4m ride that hasn't been seen before.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

AltonOllie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:53 pm

I don't want them to replace the Flume, it's still one of my favourites (well okay, all of the rides are my favourites) but unless the next SW has water integrated (I know it's possible) then that would leave just the Rapids as a fun wet ride really? Also the duck in the tunnel is the scariest thing at AT, so if they get rid of the Flume they get rid of the duck, no? :(

gaz1313
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:06 pm

I agree with AstroDan. FV for the next Secret Weapon in my opinion. Only sensible.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:51 pm

"gaz1313" wrote:
I agree with AstroDan. FV for the next Secret Weapon in my opinion. Only sensible.

The far end of Gloomy Wood/entrance to FV seems the most likely area for the next SW development. It wouldn't surprise me if they removed Blade to free up even more space.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

BSwiss
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Would they not have to really get a move on if they want to remove the flume and build its replacement in time for the start of 2012 season? After the problems they had getting any new attractions for this season, AT would surely want a stress-free on-time opening.

.Will

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:15 pm

All several areas are contenders, what I find funny is after nothing happening in 2011 every little movement people swarm on it like wasps. But this is different! This could be the start of something great, indeed these are exciting times we live in!

:D

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:21 pm

"gaz1313" wrote:

It is highly likely a new SW would have its own new themed area created for it.

Forbidden Valley is disjointed as it is with Air...

:)

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:33 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
I am going with the Forbidden Valley idea. I simply can't see some form of Mack water coaster as a SW. Alton will thrill us with a big, meaty 1.4m ride that hasn't been seen before.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Flume site for 2012?

Although something is needed in the blackhole, the flume could easily be the family attraction instead?

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:05 pm

To be honest, I find it hard to believe that Alton want to take out the flume in the first place. While it does not look that great these days, families still love it. It's a theme park staple and still pulls in the crowds. That's just my opinion, but who knows what is round the corner...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AltonOllie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:14 pm

Well even if they do remove the Flume I want them to put the Black Hole tent to good use and put the Duck in it so that it can still scare me.
:(

Otherwise I'll be sad! :cry:

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:21 pm

"AltonOllie" wrote:
Well even if they do remove the Flume I want them to put the Black Hole tent to good use and put the Duck in it so that it can still scare me.
:(

Otherwise I'll be sad! :cry:

Ah, that duck adds so much charm! It made me jump too when I was younger, but anyway, back on topic...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us