UK theme parks from another point of view!

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Interesting Wardley Sightings

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:46 am

I think a new show is plausible, the current shows (both Go! Go! Go! And the Pirates) were being heavy advertised around the park, in particular in the Box Office and the large screen at the bottom of Towers Street. Maybe a new live-action show in the Ice Tent? All they have to do is soundproof it and theme it up a little now they've already cleared it for Shrek.

:)

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Interesting Wardley Sightings

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Hmmm, this is very interesting to me.

I have had a dream/idea for that area for a few years now. I want to see something like:

...built on the Mini-Bus carpark.

So this is very exciting news for me! :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

hell lepard
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:46 pm

If they made a ride like this I would be dissapointed because they already have a soaker ride. They need a ride that has jets that can be turned off. The concept is a coaster so the all year round aspect of a ride like this would be useless. They need a rapids river that could be a splashdown and strong jets to soak on drops. The idea would mean on cold days the ride would lose some aspect but retain a throughput. I'm thinking Eurofighter style cars with baffles to create waves where needed. Id also like a way of getting soaked during a slow inverted section perhaps choreographed fountains in a dark room and call the ride Sun Storm or Aquafalls.

AstroDan

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 pm

Going back to entertainment, I would love to see a proper, top quality, bigger show that was advertised heavily to ensure visit levels were high.

The current show quality at the park has been static for 4 seasons now and is average at absolute best. A major resort needs better. I am sure heide park or gardaland could help them.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Big Dave

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:36 pm

I completely fail to understand some posts. The park's only soaking ride is Battle Galleons. No other ride on park "soaks" you. Battle Galleons is as about as much fun as getting splashed by a truck driving through a puddle whilst waiting for a bus, when it is raining, but in summer, it is a much better ride. (This isnt aimed at any one person as loads of people have said this and I just dont understand why you are saying we dont need another flume ride, especially if the current flume is going.)

As for water coasters/super splashes, they actually dont get you that wet! They are all about the fear of the drop and the fear of getting wet, but actually you can ask most people who have been on a Mack water coaster or super splash, they are actually normally very mild and dont get you that wet at all.

Add to the fact that most Mack water coasters have loads of great features, such as a bunny hop before the splash and magnetic brakes so even less water is needed to slow the boat down, then you can realise why a lot of people want a water coaster or super splash.

I have already aired my opinions on Aqua Trax. They seem like a coaster that has virtually no connection with the water other than a few jets. The cars look uncomfortable and the only real thrill is the launch. To be honest if I want a major thrilling coaster that gets me wet, I will just ride Nemesis front row in the rain! What I want is a flume based ride with some mild coaster section. All coming to the big climax of a large drop into a pool of water, with dramatic water spraying everywhere. No it wont be a world's or even a Europe's first, but it will a great ride if it is themed well and well thought out.

This video proves it really. Dark ride, meets water ride, meets rollercoaster, meets flume ride!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb3oFHLBQzA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb3oFHLBQzA[/url]
Last edited by Big Dave on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:38 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
Going back to entertainment, I would love to see a proper, top quality, bigger show that was advertised heavily to ensure visit levels were high.

The current show quality at the park has been static for 4 seasons now and is average at absolute best. A major resort needs better. I am sure heide park or gardaland could help them.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

So would I. If they brought in a show that is one the scale of what the ice shows were this could be a good way to entice people to visit the park. The ice shows were the "key" shows on park, on a big scale and offered something that was of a "wow" factor. If they got something like this installed it would really strengthen the entertainments offerings, a new ice show would be nice, if not a multi-entertainment show/circus style show would work well.

But it's the exact reason that we've not seen any changes with the shows for 4 seasons (I know they've changed shows, but I'm talking expansions here) that I honestly can't see this changing next year or over the next few years.

The current shows seem to small budget for me, they are good and offer something for kids but then where's the variety? There is nothing for the older audience or a show that offers something all ages can watch and enjoy. The ice shows done this and shows of a similar style can work the same these days.

Alton Towers need to start thinking as a resort. Entertainments is the key, if they want to become as famous as other European resorts they need to gets their fingers out and actual show us that they are a resort and are owned by a company that is "second to Disney".

ATJakee96

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:32 pm

I have to say everyone i do think the new 2012 family thrill attraction will be going as a replacement of The Flume it just seems its right to go even though i do love Flume very much , its coming to an end of its long life (i think)
It looks rust and doesnt fit in with the Theme in the middle of Mutiny Bay and Katanga Canyon

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 pm

TBH i see Wardley every time I go! Well it could be him or any other old bald bloke! :P

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:08 pm

"starbugger1303" wrote:
old bald bloke!

Don't talk about god in such a way! :P

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:10 pm

Woops, please dont smite thee oh mighty one! :P

.Will

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:12 pm

"starbugger1303" wrote:
TBH i see Wardley every time I go! Well it could be him or any other old bald bloke! :P

TBH I see you most of the times I go so. Yeah.

:P

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:19 pm

".Will""][quote=""starbugger1303" wrote:

:P[/quote]

Sorry I do not understand. Please rephrase your sentence.

.Will

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Sorry me trying to be funny. I have spotted you a couple of times on the park.

:)

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Oh sorry... Have you know if you see me again come up and say hello :D

pfleety
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:37 am

"starbugger1303""][quote="".Will""][quote=""starbugger1303" wrote:

:P[/quote]

Sorry I do not understand. Please rephrase your sentence.[/quote]

Please re-nekle your goml

fredward

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Just occurred to me... if someone who doesn't know much about Alton Towers was randomally viewing this forum for advice ext.

They'd get the impression a Wardley is an endangered bird... just saying...

ry1996
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Yes, and dont forget John is alton towers coaster designer so if they was going to have a new coaster john would be the one taking markings and looking at areas making Sketches of the area ect
so i think the flume site is deinatly a site for a new "water" coaster in the coming years even in 2012 maybe

fredward

Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:41 am

yes the flume site definitely is maybe a place for a new attraction! :P

Won't be a water coaster for flume site in 2012 I don't think, we haven't seen any planning permission, plus I would guess they are beyond the design phase for 2012.

Wardley is not Alton Towers' roller coaster designer, he is a semi-retired roller-coaster/thrill ride consultant, (emphasis on semi-retired) If any one is the main "rollercoaster designer" it would be Candy Holland.

He would be out looking for possible areas making notes and sketches of all possible areas a new attraction could be, it does not confirm that a 2012 rollercoaster would be there or SW7. Just this is one of many possible locations, (which we sort of knew already).

SAW_gameover
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Haven't read the complete topic, but whilst in Pizza & Pasta on Wednesday, I also saw John walking around.

This time however, he was wearing a suit, so I had to check a few times if it was actually him, minus the usual Wardley jacket :D

Anyhow, he was taking loads of pictures in and around Katanga Kanyon - was tempted to leave and say hello to him, but couldn't for the life of me think of what to say to him!
[size=125]http://www.ukparknews.co.uk
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:21 pm

What days is John usually on park? I go fortnightly every Sunday and only seen him once on Park. :evil: