UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ollie16
TT Member
TT Member

Re: 2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath... Part 2

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:10 pm

There was a small JCB on site on Monday about 2?
What he said.

longy0151

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:54 pm

"Ollie16" wrote:
There was a small JCB on site on Monday about 2?

There wasn't yesterday. The JCB was probably there to dig the earth up which I mentioned above.

daveclarkedaveclarke
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:30 pm

I can't wait for this, but i keep thinking you know the best of the best competition they held fi something else won it say 13 would this ride have been something to do with 13?

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:39 pm

English please.

This ride won't have anything to do with TH13TEEN I can promise you.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

SheikhSam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:21 pm

"jamesc" wrote:
What other parks have drop towers in the dark, if any.

Could this be a World first or UK first at least, and we all know the Towers love there First's and Holes.

They have to be in a dark hole anyway because of the noice and height problems the park has with the locals.

Alton Towers, love there HOLES!!!

ABC (which are the possible, most likely manufacturer for 2012) are responsible for dark drop rides like 'Extremis' at the Dungeons across the country. Unfortunatley it's not likely 2012 will be a worlds first, but that also means no gimmicks.
Video of 'Extremis' at The London Dungeons

Tommy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Nah but what he means is if Thirteen had won the competition would they have done it for that? I think that it influenced the decision, but I don't think it was reliant on the competition.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:19 pm

They can make world's first claims over anything with a gimmick or two, don't give up home. I love the phrase 'Extremis clones' because it's so dismissive and humorous, I imagine it's grating on marketing a lot when they read these boards - so it's up to them to spice them up a bit.

As Nathan has been saying, this will CERTAINLY be four ABC drop rides - I've been able to verify that much myself, but I'm sure many have been satisfied that's the case for a while anyway.

I think Nemesis winning the poll may have influenced their decision to link it with the ride, but if Nemesis hadn't won it would more than likely just be called something else, but still in the same location.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:00 am

Alton Towers knew Nemesis would win when they held that competition. They’re not fools; they know which of their rides is still the most popular. This ride was always going to be based on Nemesis. Given its location there’s no other ride it could have been based on. Also notice how several other Merlin parks (Thorpe, Alton and Heide) have also developed rides based on their major coasters (Saw, Nemesis and Krake respectively).
If anything the poll was conducted to put Nemesis back in the spotlight before revealing the 2012 attraction.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:24 am

"Nightfall" wrote:
Alton Towers knew Nemesis would win when they held that competition. They’re not fools; they know which of their rides is still the most popular.

I'm sorry but that's b'locks. In terms of how many people go on it, Nemesis is currently the third most popular ride in the park at best.

I doubt they expected so many obsessives to register probably hundreds of votes each before they announced the poll.

I'm not pursuing my point about the name though, as I wrote the order of words in the sentence slightly wrong and you're probably correct on the decision being made beforehand.

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 pm

I don't think the King of Rides competition would have had any bearing on the ride at all apart from the marketing. There were two outcomes wrt Nemesis in the competition:

1) It won the competition - the 2012 ride is perceived to be acknowledgement as to how popular Nemesis is.
2) Another coaster won - the 2012 ride is perceived to be a way to generate more interest in Nemesis.

Ergo - the competition can be used to argue either case and marketed as such.

The ride type, theme and designs would have been decided long, long ago. The King of Rides competiton was merely a marketing tool to get people talking about the park with their mates, not a way to gauge public opinion about what the 2012 ride should be.

Tommy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:58 pm

I doubt that they organised it and didn't think about the impact on a Nemesis themed ride at all. It takes a clever bunch of people to get the positions that they do and it's very unlikely that they ran this promotion JUST to advertise all of the rides included as a whole and I can almost guarantee that the 2012 ride would have at least had a small link to it.

DDF14
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:12 pm

Just looking through the comic book again and was wondering what, if any features from the comic or story could be used in the 2012 ride? Do most people think it will be a completely new story or direction of the concept rather than the using the stories set out in the archive material?

Things I think they could use from the comic and video are:
*Nemesites
*Blue flames (Magic)
*The Phalanx
*The Ashlar vault / colums of Andesite (AKA The Sanctuary)
*The old book (Codex) and altar stone from the catacombs
*The talisman
*The stone pillars where people went to give their souls
* Heather , Professor Haldane characters

I think they will probably come up with some completly new story and concept to follow on from the original story what with the radiation / contamination idea already being promoted. Would be cool though if some of the little features acknowledged parts of the story already set out.

It will be very interesting seeing which way they have decided to take it and if Mr Wardley has had any input into the story/ experience.. Maybe there will be some interesting/ thrilling / scary Wardley set pieces..

Who knows at least its got the imagination working again despite what people think of the ride mech..

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:29 pm

I think them linking it to the original story with the archive video on the site, and that we know it will be catacomb-themed, indicates that they're going with the original story. They'll perhaps elaborate it a bit but hopefully it will have a semi-religious/cultish feel inside.

Jollylee11
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Don't really care now what it is, i just want construction pictures!

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:41 pm

"Jollylee11" wrote:
Don't really care now what it is, i just want construction pictures!

Ditto!

I'm guesssing we won't get any before season close.

Maybe over Christmas time?

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:19 pm

I'd quite like to see this ride themed around a nest the Nemsis monster created before it was discovered, wouldn't be too hard to pull off and there'd be lots of creative possibilities....

Just hope this ride lives up to the hype Alton Towers will undoubtedly create...

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:06 am

On the plus side, we will get good views of the site via the monorail :)

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 am

Not too much will happen now before 6 November and then the monrail passing will be irrelevant, unfortunately.

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Just to expand on the idea I had about this ride being based around discovering the creatures nest, this was the concept I had in mind:

I'm aware that the ride is most likely not going to be a drop tower but if it were, this would be a unique way of going about it IMO...

:)

Tommy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Although it is very unlikely it will be a singular drop tower (from the sounds of it anyway. I'm, quite frankly, none the wiser) I do really like the concept above.