UK theme parks from another point of view!

Skumfidus

Re: 2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath... Part 2

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Sam wrote:
I don't see how top-loaded drop towers can possibly work. Surely it'd be fairly likely at some point in the ride's lifetime there'd be an error that would cause the floor to open while guests are standing on it? Unlike all the other rides on park with mechanical safety system, all that would need is a computer error...

You're quite right in some respects, there would need to be one heck of a safety system in place, but there are rides that use these systems and seem to operate fine (Bling, Sheikra, Nemesis Inferno barrier etc.). The computer isnt constantly working to keep the floors up, it simply commands the mechanical operation of the machines that control it. If these machines are lockable in both positions (up and down) and have sensors to report their position to the computer, it's perfectly safe - for these floors to move the computer would have to specifically send out a command to ask them to do so - if no such command is included in the programming outside of the dispatch sequence it is impossible for the floors to move at the wrong time.

Skumfidus

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:54 pm

longy0151 wrote:
Sam, as you can see in the image of the inside of the room, the drop towers will probably be placed in the empty white space in the middle and they will drop, leaving the floor behind and at the side of them, similar to TH13TEEN.
I think it is too much of a risk and health and safety wouldn't allow it if not.

This is the problem longy, with my expectation of the ride, that is impossible. The loading platform must be flush with the ride car to facilitate the safe boarding of the riders, but if that were the case having your arms or legs extended would get them chopped off by the edge of the flooring. The only way to not have a moving floor with a top loading drop tower is for the ride car to have a floor built into the design, and that would drop along with the car...unless that is what you meant when referring to Th13teen?

If that is the case, and the car is a more complete unit with a floor and perhaps 'walls', perhaps the design of the cars used on Demon Drop would look and work pretty well?

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Boz that looks amazing!  :D Two things im slightly worrying about are that although I know the building is in Forbidden Valley, it does look very plain etc. it could do with some more browns and black and yellow lines etc.

and

The building itself looks very small, so it's going to be interesting to see how big it feels inside, It doesn't look like you could fit one tower in, never mind 4 - if that's what it's going to be?  :)

AstroDan

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:12 pm

The size of the building has never worried me. Sharkbait Reef looks tiny from above and outside, but inside it feels much bigger. It's all about how they use the space.

My concern is the budget - as I can't see this being much over £8m. Truly good dark rides often cost massively more than this.

We'll see! Great concepts!

:)

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Returning to pessimism, if a a five metre drop is all that this is going to offer it is quite disappointing really. However, it could still be a fantastically immersive experience - it's just the tower drop won't pack much of a punch.

It's still very confusing how they are going to integrate a drop and then a rise to unload into the story! Oh well, confusion and mystery is good and I'm still going to wish I'd read nothing about this on my first ride, as I did with Thirteen.

Rbts
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:51 pm

Rob wrote:
I would not be surprised if this was someone in Towers management attempting to fool us

Luke warm  :twisted:

Rob wrote:

Apologies to Rbts is this is not the case

You're forgiven  :P

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:03 pm

The drop itself doesn't sound like it has sufficient height to provide any amazing ride sensation. I'm almost wondering if there will be some sort of projection which gives the illusion of extra height...maybe a madhouse type effect?
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Don't_Look_Down wrote:
The drop itself doesn't sound like it has sufficient height to provide any amazing ride sensation. I'm almost wondering if there will be some sort of projection which gives the illusion of extra height...maybe a madhouse type effect?

my thought exactly. the total floor to ceiling height is 11m
taking into account headroom, and clearance on the base of the ride for electronics and anchoring 2m is lost already.
then taking into account the possible height of the transit vehicle for a drop tower as 2m you are left with a total possible distance travelled of 7m, (base of vehicle starting at +1m travelling to a maximum height of 8m) even if you shave of 0.5m clearance at top and bottom you will still only be left with 8m transit height.

not really enought to make a good drop tower sensation in my opinion, and gives further support to my argument against it being drop towers.

Dormiens-Dave

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:39 pm

trouble is ABC have as good as confirmed its some form of drop tower.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
trouble is ABC have as good as confirmed its some form of drop tower.

They also likened them to Extremis at London.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath... Part 2

Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:06 am

A thought: most people are taking the ABC press release as gospel.

Would it not be even slightly reasonable to guess that ABC might have specifically 'tweaked' their statement - 'doctored', if you will - to lead people (other manufacturers/guests/parks/whoever) away from the entire truth? It does surprise me that ABC would be so frank about a development that Towers want to keep very secret...

I'm not sure this is a massively likely scenario tbh, but I wouldn't dismiss it.

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:48 am

I would like to reiterate the statement
We are working on the production of four new freefall towers in europe, which have a similar construction of those of the various dungeons. The attractions are part of a bigger dark ride concept

EUROPE! people these towers could be going Anywhere, it doesn't specifically state the UK, nor does it give any idea of the company that they are going to.

i wouldn't like to guess exactly how many theme parks/amusement parks there are in Europe but I think it could possibly be a rather daunting task to try and trawl through months of planning applications for each and every one of them.

Also Paultons Park have recently announced a new ride for the new year to be located in their "bigger rides" area, which is currently unknown, they could just as easily be going there

sorry for the rant but its been bugging me for months that the general assumption is that they are definitely going to the UK, and that it MUST be Alton as they are the "only" ones getting a dark ride next year  :x

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:24 am

There's been a number of leaks regarding four 'Extremis clones' for ages. Way before that press release.

I find it likely that they are what is coming, but it is possible that the whole thing has been a targeted deception. I'd be very pleasantly surprised if it was and I hope it is!

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:40 am

just been on to ABC' website to get the specs of the ride in question and it requires an operating area of 7m x 8m for a ten across tower.
assuming the later dimension is for the width of the ride  (with maybe a 8 seater taking up 6m across) it still requires a depth of 7m for each tower/gondola/clearances, and the centre of the chamber within the platforms is 8.5m x 8.5m +/- 0.5m which means only one can fit in the centre.
and the argument for them being against the walls is ruled out as i have explained, the clearances Involved in running the platform from the entry/exit doors to the centre of the room would interfere with the rides operating area

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:51 am

It has been reported by a seemingly-credible source that these will be four individual towers with six seats to each tower and they are also to be single-sided unlike the Extremis rides.

Whatever the configuration of the tower(s)/ride(s), I think the odds of it being able to seat less than 24 people are infinitesimal (I love that word). This is purely because it just wouldn't be able to cope. It is a new ride at the busiest theme park in the UK.

Dormiens-Dave

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:06 am

I believe it was CoasterForce who questioned the ABC rep at the European rides expo and they confirmed the 4 drop towers were for the UK.

A number of credible leaks from more than one source (some posted on the forum) have stated its an ABC drop tower since before the ABC press release so its fairly certain its ABC and a drop type mechanism. What is still up for debate is which type of tower/s the park are getting as there is a new concept on ABC's website that hasn't been built yet that has been hinted at which involves 4 drop gondalas off one rotating tower.

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:32 am

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
I believe it was CoasterForce who questioned the ABC rep at the European rides expo and they confirmed the 4 drop towers were for the UK.

A number of credible leaks from more than one source (some posted on the forum) have stated its an ABC drop tower since before the ABC press release so its fairly certain its ABC and a drop type mechanism. What is still up for debate is which type of tower/s the park are getting as there is a new concept on ABC's website that hasn't been built yet that has been hinted at which involves 4 drop gondalas off one rotating tower.

personally I think that this is more likely, again down to the formation of the platforms as shown in my 3d model, there isn't enough room to effectively load 4 separate towers both against the side walls and central pit.

there is also quite conveniently space for two 3m levels below and one above for a total of 12 scenes which could be divided into two lots of six to provide two alternative ride experiences. two gondolas loading from the two entry lifts and two disembarking on the opposite side.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:57 am

I'd be very excited by such a concept of different scenes etc but not sure I can see it working.

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Tom G wrote:
I'd be very excited by such a concept of different scenes etc but not sure I can see it working.

ill see if i can model the concept in with my existing work, might take a week though  :-k

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:13 pm

That'd be awesome. Trying to visualise it I'm thinking it'd be akin to staring into a shoe box, the scenes would be that small though? While I'm sure it could be physically done, I'm not sure how absorbing or effective such tiny scenes could be.
Last edited by Tom G on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.