UK theme parks from another point of view!

Maaarrrvelous
TT Member
TT Member

Re: 2012: Nemesis Sub-Terra... Part 2

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:41 pm

What I don't like about Alton Towers marketing is that they really over-hype rides e.g what they did with thirteen. But you can understand why they do this. Alton Towers invest millions of pounds into these projects so they have to "sell" the rides as much as they can to the public, to attract as many visitors as they can.

I've gotta sneaky feeling the marketing team haven't got alot of money to spend on promoting this ride. Alton Towers might be planning to use more money to promote a new rollercoaster next year, which if that's the case I don't mind. Ok the comic things is abit cheap and nasty and not what alot of us were expecting. I'm sure there will be better promo's for the ride but I wouldn't expect AT to splash the cash on advertising.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Maaarrrvelous wrote:
What I don't like about Alton Towers marketing is that they really over-hype rides e.g what they did with thirteen. But you can understand why they do this. Alton Towers invest millions of pounds into these projects so they have to "sell" the rides as much as they can to the public, to attract as many visitors as they can.

You would think that AT learnt their lesson after Th13teen, but they still seem to be taking themselves far too seriously. They can't afford to make another marketing mistake, can they?
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

e4kenndr
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Oh God: :(

"As a promotional stunt, the park plans to install heart-rate monitors at the exit of what promises to be a pulse-quickening ride."

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/the ... 3784.story

.Will

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:00 pm

This is rather similar to Th13teen, what next an age restriction?

:P

SIMR
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Los Angeles Times? What? What happened to local newspapers? :?

I loved the promo, I don't really know if people expected more. Alton seemed to have learnt from their mistakes they did with Th13teen, whereby promo revealed or 'hinted' at too much too early and people got over-excited. And, I gotz me a new avatar. :D

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:11 pm

^ That's the Jack Osbourne influence  :P

Ugh, this is like Th13teen all over again.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Dormiens-Dave

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Its been marketed so that it sells, what do you want them to do? And the video is hardly hype, they make no claims about the ride in it so how are they hyping it up there?

Thirteen was overhyped not just because marketing sold a high oppinion of the ride but because the ride was poor. We wont know if this ride is overhyped until we actually ride it and see what it is.

EDIT - i wouldnt trust that artical, all that info has come from the internet not from Towers marketing by the looks of it. They have just looked at whats already out there.
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:19 pm

^ Well this isn't a major ride release, so don't expect much.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Dormiens-Dave

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Its a medium investment year so its not going to be a frog hopper. And i never expect anything i wait and see. Just seems alot of people here actually want this ride to be bad so they can moan.

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

2012: Nemesis Sub-Terra... Part 2

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:41 pm

May as well throw my opinion into this melting pot of moaning and over-negativity...

I think the video is really good, it was really exciting to see how...orthadox the extension of the Nemesis plot is being handled.

The name is really really good, I have no complaint at the tie-in of the Nemesis brand and I think the fact that they used a cryptic Latin name (yes, it IS Latin) and at the same time the terror/terra thing, is brilliant (being able to call it Terry and Nemmy Subs is awesome too :P)

I understand the disappointment from people who were expecting the update to be a page saying "Hello, the ride will be *this* model, called *this*, and do *this*" but think perhaps that this was an unrealistic expectation.

We're getting a new ride, in a previously dead space, which has a BACKSTORY and extends the story which everyone is so keen to be promoted... Whatever it is, I'm very excited for March :D

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Don't_Look_Down wrote:
You would think that AT learnt their lesson after Th13teen, but they still seem to be taking themselves far too seriously. They can't afford to make another marketing mistake, can they?

Th13teen and its marketing led to a 200,000 plus increase in visitor numbers, plus a 26% increase in profit for 2010. I wouldn't call that a mistake.

It may have been unpopular amongst the coaster community, but in terms of how it landed with the general public. Th13teen was a huge success for Alton Towers.

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:54 pm

haydn! wrote:
Don't_Look_Down wrote:

Th13teen and its marketing led to a 200,000 plus increase in visitor numbers, plus a 26% increase in profit for 2010. I wouldn't call that a mistake.

It may have been unpopular amongst the coaster community, but in terms of how it landed with the general public. Th13teen was a huge success for Alton Towers.

So, it doesn't matter that half the people came off disappointed? As long as they make more money? :|
Last edited by siralgenon on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:00 pm

But seriously now. Did they? I doubt it.

I went, expecting it to be rubbish after reading the countless accounts on here of how disappointing it was, and ended up loving it. Yeah, it was some thrilling white knuckle coaster or as terrifying as the advert suggested it may be, but it was still a enjoyable ride.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:01 pm

haydn! wrote:
Don't_Look_Down wrote:

I remember being here a few years ago and hearing quotes from them saying it's "family" (meaning toddler) type rides that draw in the big crowds. Although the ride isn't as thrilling as the marketing suggests it shows that thrill rides do draw, and draw big time.

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:09 pm

tonyspurs81 wrote:
What are the chances of Nemesis getting a lick of pain, and the whole of Forbidden Valley getting a tidy up?

It would be nice if Air could fit in with the Nemesis theme in someway.

Personally, I believe that the color that the Nemesis track has faded to, really does fit the surrounding area really quite well, and I would prefer it to be that shade, rather than white on opening.

But how on earth would you fit Air in with the Nemesis Theme? It's called the Nemesis Theme for a reason. Not the Forbidden Valley Theme. :P Air is pretty much a standalone attraction. Just like Rita and the Dark Forest.

onair
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:12 pm

tonyspurs81 wrote:
What are the chances of Nemesis getting a lick of pain, and the whole of Forbidden Valley getting a tidy up?

I really hope they do paint the monster. They did paint sections of it a few years back but parts now are in desperate need of a lick of paint.
Regarding the comment about it getting better with age and not needing a a paint job i disagree. Ok the track looks good with the rustic look but the monster I say is in much need of another lick of paint. Take a look at it from the monorail the top is in a very bad state.
Regarding Sub - Terra Im going to wait till I have seen the final product before i air my views.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/paintjobd.jpg/]Image
Nemmy just after last paintjob.
Last edited by onair on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Haydn, It's not just coaster enthusiasts that felt cheated by Th13teen, it was the vast majority of the GP, too. Th13teen was a bit of a disaster (marketing wise) in that it doesn't seem to cater for anyone. It's too scary for families, yet too tame for enthusiasts.

Th13teen came fourth in the All Time Greats poll (despite some cheeky figure-boosting tactics from AT). Surely that suggests that the ride isn't as popular as AT would have liked?

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Blaze

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
Just seems alot of people here actually want this ride to be bad so they can moan.

Absolutely no one is saying that. We're saying the video isn't great, the name is poor and that the choice of backstory might have been better. How you link that to us actively wanting the ride to be bad, I don't know.

No one has said it will be, no one, so far as I can tell, is suggesting they want it to be. But if we can't say they did onething wrong, what's the point of all this?

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

2012: Nemesis Sub-Terra... Part 2

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:11 pm

I seriously think people are overestimating the weight of the enthusiast world when describing Th13teen as a "disaster".

For everyone who's come off disappointed, there are many more who've absolutely loved it, and to this day there are posts on the AT Facebook to this day with people buzzing from their first ride. This is reflected in the figures above.

It was never going to/intended to win All Time Greats; the outcome of they was predictable from the start and was a great cheap piece of advertising for one of the least promoted attractions :).

jb19852
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Th13teen cant compete with the B&M's as quite simply its not meant to.  They are (perhaps with the exception of AIR) thrill rides, Th13teen never was going to be!

In fact it is an excellent ride, just marketed extremely poorly so that the GP and us enthusiasts see it as a failure as we all thought it would be somthing it simply isnt, or was never going to be