UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jordan

2012: Ice Age – The 4-D Experience

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:47 pm

This article has appeared in Attractions Management Magazine:
Merlin secures deal with Fox for Ice Age ride

Merlin Entertainments has teamed up with 20th Century Fox with the view of launching a 4D attraction based on the popular Ice Age movie franchise.

Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs - The 4-D Experience will debut at two Merlin parks in March 2012 - Alton Towers in the UK and Gardaland in Italy.

Designed and supplied by SimEx-Iwerks, the immersive attraction will combine 3D film footage from the third movie in the franchise, with an array of synchronized physical effects.

Upon exiting the 4D experience, guests will find themselves in an Ice Age-themed area where they can meet their favorite costume characters, as well as purchase branded merchandise.

Along with the new 4D attractions and gift shop, Alton Towers Resort will also feature two interactive Ice Age-themed bedrooms inside the theme park's Splash Landings Hotel.

Source: http://www.attractionsmanagement.com/detail1.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=287553&site=AM&dom=N (Emphasis mine)
Last edited by Jordan on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiogoJ42

Re: Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs – The 4-D Experience

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Here we go again then. :lol:

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm

TT News:

Twentieth Century Fox and Merlin Entertainments have announced Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs – The 4-D Experience, a 4D cinema experience with a 3D film and various physical effects. The film will be produced by SimEx-Iwerks and will use footage from the 3rd Ice Age film.

4D Cinemas are very popular at other Merlin attractions, such as the London Eye, Madame Tussauds and the new Blackpool Tower Eye.

Alongside a 4D Cinema guests will be able to explore an Ice Age themed area, with character meet and greet opportunities in addition to a merchandise area. Also, two Ice Age themed suites will be found in the Splash Landings Hotel from next year.

This news comes a few days after Go!Go!Go! announced that this is their final week at the Alton Towers Resort, after they made their debut in March 2011, rumours suggest that the new Ice Age 4D Experience will replace the Cloud Cuckoo Land Theatre.

This attraction will be in addition to the already announced Nemesis - What Lies Beneath

Moley

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Interested to see which of SimEx-Iwerks' 4D product types they opt for.

Blaze

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Ice Age>>>>>Shrek :)

A long overdue 4D cinema, I'd rather it not be an IP, but if they must, they could have done worse.

Let's see where this goes and how much of a retheme the surroundings get.

But firstly, let's hope they actually build it this time! :P

roary01
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:54 pm

So does this mean an area will get rethemed to Ice-Age??
Either Storybook Land/Cloud Cuckoo Land...

only two places to house the 4D Show??

Big Top- Storybook Land (would make sense to retheme area..

Cloud Cuckoo Land Theatre - CCL But has practically just been rethemed?? how would Ice Age fit in?

Dormiens-Dave

Re: 2012: Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs – The 4-D Experience

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:14 pm

i doubt there will be an area retheme- it will simply be a 4D cinema likely in CCL theatre, this has the added benefit of being able to change the show in years to come.

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Storybook Land, I guess makes more sense.

Squirrel Nutty could be rethemed around Scrat the acorn-obsessed rodent :)

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:18 pm

This bit concerns me slightly:

the immersive attraction will combine 3D film footage from the third movie in the franchise

As it suggests that they're just lifting a sequence from the film, rather than something unique that's being made for the attraction, like Shrek 4D is... or just about any other IP based cinema attraction.

Could just be a poor choice of wording though.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Let's get ready to rumble, another dieing franchise. Being revived, and a new film is coming soon. Now I think this one has more chance of happening.

It can't go in CCL a recently themed area, unless the Ice Age area expands into CC. [-o<
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm

"ponder" wrote:
This bit concerns me slightly:

the immersive attraction will combine 3D film footage from the third movie in the franchise

As it suggests that they're just lifting a sequence from the film, rather than something unique that's being made for the attraction, like Shrek 4D is... or just about any other IP based cinema attraction.

Could just be a poor choice of wording though.

The third film was a 3D film and I think your quote is pretty clear in its meaning - to me it says that the ride will show parts of the third film and not new footage.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 pm

I think the themed area bit will simply be part of the attraction as you exit the theatre, rather than an actual themed area of the park. If altons areas and dark rides are generally expected to last 10+ years, theres no way Ice Age 4D and an Ice Age themed area would survive that long.

Like Dave said they will need to change the show at some point, and not have the expense of retheming a whole area to suit new 3D footage.

Blaze

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Doesn't mean there won't be new footage, just that at least part of it will be lifted from the film. ;)

"PeteB" wrote:
I think the themed area bit will simply be part of the attraction as you exit the theatre, rather than an actual themed area of the park. If altons areas and dark rides are generally expected to last 10+ years, theres no way Ice Age 4D and an Ice Age themed area would survive that long.

Like Dave said they will need to change the show at some point, and not have the expense of retheming a whole area to suit new 3D footage.

Probably right.

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Yeah, will it be made a smaller seperate area then, well not really. If there isn't really going to be a new attraction, it's not Merlin seals new Ice Age area.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Good call.

Considering that Alton Towers is in the UK, it is actually seriously lacking in all-weather attractions. A 4D cinema will be a fantastic addition, considering their appeal to all ages, and I personally don't object the the presence of an IP, so long as the cinema experience is a good one.

Yet another step towards Alton Towers becoming a year round park? And one of multiple additions for next season, 'tis all good. :) Just hoping that they do introduce a new 'live' show for next season, too, as live entertainment is definitely a good thing for any theme park to have. Assuming this goes in the Cloud Cuckoo Land theatre... live entertainment in the Ice Show tent? Please?

:)

pluk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:58 pm

They could theme the immediate area as ice age, and when it has run it's course just change the film and a sign leaving everything else intact. Like they have with Pirates / Voyagers at Thorpe.

Think overall this is great though, something for the thrill side and something for the family side in one year. I don't expect either to be truly outstanding, but both should be fun and fresh and tie us over until the SW comes along.
Total Unique Ridecount

Dormiens-Dave

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:01 pm

I would do something along the lines of a CCL Cinema style building facade with huge Cinema style Ice Age Banners, that would avoid a Theme clash in CCL and easily allow transformation when new films are added. Would be sort of a CCl meets Disney studios style affair.

But i guarentee what will happen is the current CCL theatre building with banners and a new sign.

ryanlovesaltontowers
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Or if they were feeling adventurous perhaps have the exit to the CCLT changed so it went behind the theatre and an ice age area with room for a photo spot could be easily put there , with the final exit from this area being where the current access gate is by the Twirling Toadstool.

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Im really happy to see a 4D cinema going ahead as well as a Ice Age area - now that the area has been announced I think the 4D cinema will be going in the Storybook Land tent as this will provide another shop and Squirrel Nutty re-theme!

And not moaning or anything but won't it be a little weird having a Ice Age suite in a Caribbean hotel? :P

Fingers crossed they pull this off to a good standard! [-o<

pluk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:32 pm

"ryanlovesaltontowers" wrote:
Or if they were feeling adventurous perhaps have the exit to the CCLT changed so it went behind the theatre and an ice age area with room for a photo spot could be easily put there , with the final exit from this area being where the current access gate is by the Twirling Toadstool.

Makes sense, is there room back there?
Total Unique Ridecount