UK theme parks from another point of view!

Next Major Coaster/Ride to leave the towers...............

Poll runs till Sat Jan 10, 2054 12:12 am

Rita
6 (11%)
Thirt33n
2 (4%)
Oblivion
1 (2%)
Nemesis
1 (2%)
Runaway mine train
9 (16%)
Air
2 (4%)
Sonic Spinball
19 (34%)
Hex
1 (2%)
Duel: THHSB
1 (2%)
Skyride
No votes
Submission
5 (9%)
The Flume
4 (7%)
Ripsaw
No votes
CATCF (lol, how is this major?)
2 (4%)
Peugeot Driving School
1 (2%)
The Blade
1 (2%)
Congo River Rapids
No votes
Squirrel Nutty
No votes
Enterprise
1 (2%)

Total votes: 56

SpinballEdders

Re: Next Major Coaster to leave the towers...............

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:02 pm

Charlee wrote:
Considering that spinball has just got its new theme, it won't be moving, for a while, as much as we all want it too......

it ends in 2013 and I highly doubt that Alton and SEGA will renew the contract :(

James
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:01 pm

I have a feeling Spinball will just be rethemed to something generic in 2014 along with a Beastie replacement, a merge with Storybook Land and a new show/attraction in the ice tent.

If Spinball does leave, I could only ever see it being moved to another Merlin theme park, whether it's in the UK or Europe. It's not that old and is still functioning fine.

addy2503
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:27 pm

I would say that RMT would leave next, as it's the oldest (opened in 1992), & Alton could easily replace it with something better.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Don't_Look_Down wrote:
BigAl, I don't think Sonic Spewball will leave just yet. The queues speak for themselves.

It has a poor throughput and is located at the front of the park. It's what people see first and what they see when they leave so there are very few occasions when there isn't a significant queue in relation to the number of guests in the park. Queue time for Spinball is usually one of the longest so we usually skip it unless I'm with friends who rarely visit Alton.

:)

.Will

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:31 pm

I don't believe that Spinball will be the next to leave, despite it's location and low throughput it's popular amongst young and old.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:25 pm

If the RMT leaves I think i might cry! :(  It's such a great ride in one of the best areas on the park. But I do think it's between either RMT or Spinball.

If and when Rita leaves, I'd like them to build a hyper coaster between there, across the valley and to the car park. It sounds crazy and many dismiss the valley but I can see them using it in the future. It'd be the only way that they could build a decent hyper coaster without having to dig a lot of dirt out anyway. I see the beginning taking place on the car park behind Air and then a dive across the valley over to the other side where there are are some low and fast paced hills before a rapid turn-around and then the final drop back across the valley (or a fast lift to gain some more potential energy if need be) to the station. I'd love to see something like that. :)

Longy

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:31 pm

Nemesis, just so Merlin can :censored: people off even more.
Sonic Spinball, as the sponsorship will end soon and Merlin will need the money by then, NOT!

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:31 pm

A little interesting thought for you - not only is the Runaway Mine Train now the oldest coaster on park, it is also the oldest attraction in the entire park still in its original form.

:)

Big C
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:47 pm

I swear there is already a topic with near enough the same title as this? let me have a look...

Edit:
Yes, there is. However voting has closed for some reason :L
Link: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-to ... to-depart/
Last edited by Big C on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:59 pm

One of the best coasters that could replace Spinball would be the Mack YoungSTAR. It wouldn't be as imposing as Spinball, therefore helping to restore the glorious views of the Towers from Towers Street. It would also improve the capacity to 1000 riders per hour. It isn't the biggest increase but it helps, and the ride looks much better. I think it would suit families much more as well. A new coaster would also provide them with the opportunity to either create a new theme for that area or tie it in with Storybook Land. If it was added in to Storybook Land, it could give the existing area a bit of love to make it as brilliant as it used to be. They could be very creative with an expansion as the theme has a lot of potential.

Website: http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/coasters/youngstar-coaster/c-yc-info/c-yc-info.html

Bear

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:30 pm

^ That would be silly, as it would MASSIVELY overshadow Th13teen :D

RustyRider
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Bear wrote:

Haha can you imagine the outrage if a mack youngstar got a better reception than a "£15m ultimate psychocoaster"

Longy wrote:
Nemesis, just so Merlin can :censored: people off even more.
Sonic Spinball, as the sponsorship will end soon and Merlin will need the money by then, NOT!

I know your probably only joking, but nemesis will never leave. She's got at least another 15-20 years left in her yet, and that's just going off the lifespan of a vekoma corkscrew, nevermind a highly engineered B&M.

I also think that when the time does arrive for nemmy to depart Alton will just commision b&M to re-build it to the same specification.
Last edited by RustyRider on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Bear wrote:

And? ;)

NemmyJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:19 am

Who's the one who put Nemesis! ..... ¬_¬

cmaclaw
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:00 am

With the volume of beakdowns Sonic has I feel this one should definetly bow out! After that I think Hex should go, it's a fun attraction no doubt, but not one I visit each time I visit, surely there could be something better placed in there...
Never Slow Down

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:21 am

Hex isn't a roller coaster. :P

Planning with the Towers is tricky and the actual ride isn't part of the Towers, you just walk through the Towers into a mock chamber and I'd say that the majority of the general public aren't aware that they leave the towers and enter a different building. They aren't allowed to build anything in the Towers which is why Hex is built in such a way.

Poison Tom 96

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:25 am

Hex probably won't be removed for a while. i don't know what they'd put in there to replace it as like the Black Hole the space was designed for it

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:53 am

BigAl wrote:
Hex isn't a roller coaster. :P

Planning with the Towers is tricky and the actual ride isn't part of the Towers, you just walk through the Towers into a mock chamber and I'd say that the majority of the general public aren't aware that they leave the towers and enter a different building. They aren't allowed to build anything in the Towers which is why Hex is built in such a way.

The polls been edited.

But, it won't be Hex, even if the effects get knackered the vault will still hold a part of the best dark ride in the UK.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:28 pm

:O Ah, I see that! :P Why doesn't it just say "next major ride" instead?

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:17 pm

i found it difficult to pick between three rides

Spinball is definitely not up for the chop, believe it or not a rides popularity/queue time plays an important factor in whether or not a ride stays or goes, although i do think a move/re-theme is in order.

the ride i would love to go is Rita, I hate it, it's boring and like many others believe it was the demise of the corkscrew for reasons i have stated above. Rita was essentially a noose around the neck of the corkscrew. however that's just wishful thinking

a ride that may not have many years left is duel, although it is iconic and a good ride, it just doesn't seem to pull a queue anymore. and another factor in it's demise may be the possible relocation of the park main entrance as indicated on the 10 year plan

however my choice for almost immediate departure has to be the flume, due to it's age and upkeep costs, and in no small part to the hints already given by towers themselves

8)