UK theme parks from another point of view!

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Re: 2014-2019: Possible Developments?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:39 am

In theory it's possible. In fact I even recall reading that there was once a concept for another park that would be the same size as Alton but using an area of land about a mile away with an extension to the monorail which would link between the two. But while it may be possible the real question should be:

Do we want two separate parks?

Me personally I'd rather we have one large park with plenty of attractions for everyone (aka. Europa Park). Splitting certain types of attraction between separate parks is the main reason I prefer Alton to the London Parks which have now become so concentrated on their own niche group I don't feel any of them truly cater to me.

But there’s more to it than that. What has to be remembered about these multi-park resorts is that they were originally formed from parks which didn't grow but were built. These parks had very specific designs and were made to be developed in a certain way. But suddenly the same investors who built these parks wanted to make a big expansion which would be unlike anything the original park offered. EPCOT for example was design to be about reality and not fantasy and therefore didn't fit with the rest of the Magic Kingdom. The same is true about Studio parks which are all about bringing fantasy to reality and so fit neither of the above. Of course there is also the cynical motive that a second park means charging more money for the same number of attractions, great of course from a business view but not something that would make the average guest’s day better.

So for me I’d just like to see Alton keep expanding on what they’ve got. If they want to become more of a Resort than they should expand what the Resort offers.

Oh yes and as I’ve said many times before moving the park entrance is a silly idea. It’ll cost a fortune to do and muck around with the parks crowd control (the theory that rides are positioned where they are to take advantage of where crowds are likely to be). How the park is currently set up works and works well, I even think the monorail journey in adds to the experience. Don’t fix what isn’t broke and all that...
ImageImage

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Don't fix whats broke, but improve so it doesn't break. Alton works well as itself, yes. However too much further expansion and it would be a nightmare to do in a day or two. A second park could BE a breakoff, something radical like Epcot, something big. Something that would not fit in the original park. Almost a seperate attraction within the resort. So holidaymakers could stay on resort a few days and do both, experience both while day trippers pick one or both and get a bit of each.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:58 pm

The Moon wrote:
Don't fix whats broke, but improve so it doesn't break. Alton works well as itself, yes. However too much further expansion and it would be a nightmare to do in a day or two. A second park could BE a breakoff, something radical like Epcot, something big. Something that would not fit in the original park. Almost a seperate attraction within the resort. So holidaymakers could stay on resort a few days and do both, experience both while day trippers pick one or both and get a bit of each.

But why do you have to try and do the park in one day just because it's a single park? This is what I discovered when I first went to Europa Park. On my originally trip I tried to do everything on the first day and as a result ended up rushing everything. However when I returned last week I took a completely different approach and treated it as if it was two separate parks. But the key difference was that unlike if it had really been two separate parks I had the freedom to pick and chose which parts of the park I visited on each day. This not only meant I had a balance of rides that I was happy with but once I'd done everything I could head straight back to the rides I loved. This isn't always something you can do at places that have multiple parks because your favourite rides could be several miles apart with no easy way to get between them or requiring an additional charge.

Of course I'm not against the idea if they can genuinely find something unique to do with a second park (project Dolphin anyone?). But Alton as a park is not limited to a set theme like the Disney or Universal parks so I don't see why they need a second park just to tick it off the Resort requirement list. To go back to Europa Park again it may only have one park but it’s an amazing resort simply by offering so much for the guest to do that they have to stay over for the full experience. I'd like to see Alton take the same route.
ImageImage

Benji
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:30 pm

How far back does the land that Alton Towers owns go? Would they buy more?

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!

cookiee_munster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:39 am

i read the last two pages in this thread and thought how totally crazy the idea was to build a second park. even when the original still has land to build on AND attractions to replace/improve.

BUT...

thinking more optimistic about the prospect of there ever being a second park. i took the idea someone had in another thread about incorporating a zoo and then i thought how cool it would be to create something like the eden project with animals. obviously on a smaller scale. it could be a second park geared towards learning etc, similar to EPCOT, but in-keeping with animal kingdoms lush setting. it would be more a place to just chill out.

again though. not until the original park has improved upon its current attractions and utilized most of the space currently available should considering building a second park ever be thought about.

Lord Antaz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 pm

In 2017 I would love a 4th Dimension Coaster with a bit of a twist to the design ( perhaps the intervention of the rider enhancing the experience) As far as the theme goes,- a launch facility perhaps, where Alton Towers reveals its connections to optimum technology.
It would be 150 feet high, however it could be 125 feet underground where the station plunges into the 'facility' before having a hydraulic launch almost vertically.
Theme would be a silver/black metallic station with dark blue outlines- with a  huge glass box entrance where you enter through a security check into the station. The queueline could twist around where the cars arrive from the previous ride. The station would be dimly lit with lasers pointing in the direction of where the ride begins. It would then smoothly go down and go through a complex of systems where the rider would be informed of their involvement in the mission before descending. After the launch it would experience a variety of hills and twists, a zero g roll before going along an incline towards the station in a straight path.
This is a really simple idea but could simple be good in these sort of situations? :|

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:54 am

The idea of a second park would only work if the entry price of let's say £50 included both parks. I bet 90% of visitors only go Alton Towers 1st a year and unless they open 9am to 9pm it's pointless having 2 parks. The only way it would work if u brought a 2 park pass and you had 12 months to visit the other park.

I would love them to add water fountains around the park so you could cool down on a rare warm day. I would also like them to add fans in the big queue line rides which maybe sprayed water out.

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 pm

A second park would be awsome, but i'd like to see them master the 1 park first and get that right before expanding anywhere else.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

dave-h
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Could parking not be moved completely and have all visitors get in via a monorail extension. Then your freeing up space that is currently used for cars to expand and develop the towers without the need for additional parking???

Lord Antaz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:32 pm

dave-h wrote:
Could parking not be moved completely and have all visitors get in via a monorail extension. Then your freeing up space that is currently used for cars to expand and develop the towers without the need for additional parking???

That would be good and if there were a monorail network for visitors only within a 45 mile radius

Robin278
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:43 pm

why would spinball go if the sega deal ends? was it not built and running before the sega deal started....as spinball wizzer?

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Robin278 wrote:
why would spinball go if the sega deal ends? was it not built and running before the sega deal started....as spinball wizzer?

Simple answer is.............its pony! :P

Chessington got the better version. You don't hear that everyday!
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:08 pm

sweedish2009 wrote:
Robin278 wrote:

I have to disagree, the one at alton towers in my opinion is much faster and it has tight and awkward turns which makes it really fun. Altin Towers got the better version. You don't hear that everyday!

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:23 pm

Marcus Assab wrote:
sweedish2009 wrote:
Robin278 wrote:

I have to disagree, the one at alton towers in my opinion is much faster and it has tight and awkward turns which makes it really fun. Altin Towers got the better version. You don't hear that everyday!

Altin Towers? Never heard of it. Sounds like an eastern European park with a better version, I'll have to do some research on that.

As for Spinball Whizzer, I'm not just talking about the ride experience, I'm talking about the theme (cheap and tacky), the position of the ride (the fact its a complete eye-saw to the area) and the fact that it doesn't really offer anything different from other parks.

The ride? It's ok, if "tight awkward turns" are your thing.

Look at Dragons Fury. The layout, the theme, the positioning of the ride and the market it caters for. It's highly superior. Spinball Whizzer screams 'temporary structure'.

Only a matter of time before it leaves for that scrapyard in the sky...........or Margate!
Last edited by sweedish2009 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

Benji
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:26 pm

DannyNewbro wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Well let's look at the options:

Air car park
Dark Forest
Coaster corner
Nick building
The Flume site
Dung Heap
Ice Arena
Beastie site

In one of the [email protected] videos it was said how they were working on two new attractions for 2014. Very interesting indeed.

:)

I know what these 2 attractions will be! But I won't be saying too much, don't want my friend to get into trouble. But I can say it's gonna put Towers back into your hearts and it's probably gonna be the biggest year Alton Towers have had for quite some time!

are they going to do something with the gardens?

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:19 am

ben.at08 wrote:
DannyNewbro wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Well let's look at the options:

Air car park
Dark Forest
Coaster corner
Nick building
The Flume site
Dung Heap
Ice Arena
Beastie site

In one of the [email protected] videos it was said how they were working on two new attractions for 2014. Very interesting indeed.

:)

I know what these 2 attractions will be! But I won't be saying too much, don't want my friend to get into trouble. But I can say it's gonna put Towers back into your hearts and it's probably gonna be the biggest year Alton Towers have had for quite some time!

There not allowed to some historical preservation which I think makes Alton towers different from other theme parks
Image credit to Lewis97

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:24 am

DrReeve wrote:
ben.at08 wrote:
There not allowed to some historical preservation which I think makes Alton towers different from other theme parks

I'm not sure what they can and can’t do with the gardens although as they once put in a planning application for a roller coaster to run straight through them I guess the answer is whatever they want. But the bigger question is what can they do with them? Besides the cross valley coaster, maintaining what’s there and occasionally adding a few more garden displays there isn't much they can do. I suppose they can reopen some of the old buildings as cafes or something like that but as only about 1% of guests intentionally go down there it's probably not worth it.
ImageImage

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:11 pm

I think after sw7 they will need to do a repaint/repair season making the parks older attractions come back to life. Espeially air i need more blue track  :x  Then another area in need of something new Katanga canyon this place really needs a new ride!
Image credit to Lewis97

altontowers101
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:26 am

Maybe if Storybook Land and Adventure Land merge, they could add a twisting suspended coaster

heres the link,  http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/c ... -info.html

:D :D

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:38 am

Unlikely given that they already have a Mack powered coaster in Kantanga Canyon.
i personally think that area only needs a refurbishment, with some more kiddie rides added to the theme. the theme is perfect as it is, but never really got developed. I also think adventure land should be merged with storybook land to really develop it as an area.
That said, I'm not adverse to the idea of a retheme. I was hoping that the ice age development was going there, with squirrel nutty converted into Scrat chasing his acorn around the track. Would have been amazing IMO  :P