UK theme parks from another point of view!

Queenmaya99
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Future of the gardens?

Sun May 20, 2012 10:06 am

I know the gardens are a big part of AT, but I can't help but think that AT will slowly build into them, in about 30/40 years, to keep the park going.
What do you think?
______  ___                     
___   |/  /_____ _____  _______ _
__  /|_/ /_  __ `/_  / / /  __ `/
_  /  / / / /_/ /_  /_/ // /_/ /
/_/  /_/  \__,_/ _\__, / \__,_/ 
                 /____/

Poison Tom 96

Re: Future of the gardens?

Sun May 20, 2012 10:07 am

Grade 1 listed. No building should really occur there.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 10:26 am

Good to know its protected
To build Alton Towers on the gardens is to eat into Alton Towers if you catch my drift.
There are fields around Alton Towers which must be a possibilty given a certain amount of money.
Guess noise might come into that though :(

The creativity and recreational values of a Theme Park really should be more than enough justification to make a bit of noise during the working hours of the day. Guess there's always cash settlements aswell...

Getting a bit off topic here but,
How many people come into the park a day? Its just wrong that 2 or even 10 people could just dig their heals in and have nice huge knock on effect for everyone.. I dont know any one who ever got away with that kind of behavior towards fellow human beings.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Sun May 20, 2012 11:11 am

You have got to be kidding?

It's protected, beautiful, popular with older guests ans makes Alton unique. Unless Alton are owned by Six Flags, I can see no development there. This is ridiculous that we're speculating so far into the future.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Dormiens-Dave

Sun May 20, 2012 11:14 am

As Tom says the gardens are protected so no aspect of the theme park will ever enter them (even if Six Flags bought the park :D ), the same is true of the house but its grading is lower (due to it been a ruin) so they have been able to do some things (like Hex).

What i would like to see in the future is the garden conservatories restored and the gardens given a little more attention. But i can understand why it isn't at the top of Altons priorities at the moment.

In a nut shell, don't worry about the gardens as planning permission can't be granted in its boundaries!

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 11:54 am

There are still plenty of opportunity areas around the existing park, for both completely new developments or refurbishments and replacements. So Alton Towers have got a good 15-20 years worth of building land before they'd even need to consider expanding outside the parks existing boundary. Which, by that point (another 15-20 years down the road) the park will be as big as it could be anyway (saturation point with guests etc etc), so developments will likely take on the form of replacement and refurbishment over expansion.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 12:03 pm

I would like them to reopen the tea room that was not far walk away from the dark forest. I'm sorry to say this but the ruins and gardens will still be here after Alton Towers has gone.

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
I would like them to reopen the tea room that was not far walk away from the dark forest. I'm sorry to say this but the ruins and gardens will still be here after Alton Towers has gone.

As much as I'd love to see that happen, from a business perspective with it being worth open for profit margin. It doesn't seem like it would attract enough guests in this current climate, yes maybe in the magical 90's where the Gardens were more prominent for Alton's marketing and more approachable, but the area around there is grotty, cluttered with litter. A lot of the Gardens would need to have a hefty cleaning job and I can only see that happen if a tearoom is opening there. I'd stick to one on Towers Street or at the Hotel for me, or any area which is plausible, quiet yet still has a good view. Although Coffee Baar can easily be renovated, if Coffee Baar/CCL Cafe is removed that is the only way I could see the tearoom even reopen again at the Gardens.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 4:11 pm

No. The day the Gardens are removed from the Towers, is the day Merlin removes game stalls!

AND SHIPPING CONTAINERS :o
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)

blackholes crow
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 25, 2012 8:09 pm

renovate one of the old buildings in to a restraunt/bar to pull the punters in to the gardens everyone likes a garden view and it does'nt get any better then the views from the garden down the valley and into the fields below :)
[the day that happens ill be dead]
''holy crap lead wasps''. ''keep low and keep your eyes peeled boys were goin in guns blazing''
''ON THE FLOOR NOW''.''STAY DOWN OR ELSE''.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 25, 2012 11:26 pm

How about having a maze of hedges growth in the gardens and in the summer months have entertainment like stars of britains got talent entertaining the guests. Have live local bands playing from jazz to soft rock.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 26, 2012 1:18 am

The gardens aren't used to their potential - FACT!

You don't have to go building rollercoasters through them in order to pull in the guests. There are lots of historic gardens around the country, it all comes down to adding what's appropriate.

I mean absolutely NOTHING is going on down there. Since the swiss cottage closed, the gardens have no attractions at all. I've love to see them doing something, anything!

The garden conservatory would make a lovely coffee shop for example, and beyond that I'd like to see all the pathways replaced and to have lighting added all around. I can't imagine how magical and magnificent the alton towers gardens would be all lit up at night.
Last edited by PeteB on Sat May 26, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamPanic
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Remove the SkyRide and build a pavillion like pier over the gardens.

OAP should be granted free access to the Park, and spend their money on Tea and Biscuits.

roary01
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 26, 2012 3:35 pm

If i could plan the future of the gardens i would renovate th whole grand conservatory like they did with the one in the Ladyships gardens, then reopen it as the conservatory cafe as it gives geat views of the gardens and would look stunning when its renovated, but its like a lot of the buildings in the gardens, there just left.

But on a day like this you could just imagine the conservatory full of guests having a drink/snack, over looking the gardens, and would be a nice break from the rush of peole gettin to/from the rides

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 26, 2012 7:51 pm

AdamPanic wrote:
Remove the SkyRide and build a pavillion like pier over the gardens.

OAP should be granted free access to the Park, and spend their money on Tea and Biscuits.

As shown in the past week, the Skyride's removal is too controversial. As much I would like to see that pavillion, the Skyride is so much of a key iconic staple to Alton, that with the Gardens will be here for some much more time.

NemmyJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 2:49 pm

I think the gardens need to be leveled out more. I decided to follow the arrows around thinking it would be a nice walk, however, not being a very fit person anyway didnt result in me being happy at the end haha.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 6:15 pm

They are built within a valley, and there are signs warning of the steep slopes and paths before you begin the walk :) The only way to traverse the gardens is to go down one side and up the other... No flattening out will be done! xD
ImageImage

Sazzle

Mon May 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Oh dear - that can't have been pleasant if you didn't know how tough it would be!

"Cross Valley Path" tends to lend a clue though, it has to be said ;).

The gardens are beautiful during any season, and do deserve to have a share of the spotlight. As PeteB has said, a quaint little English tea hatch by the conservatories would be simply marvellous! However, with that said, I often enjoy wandering the area and painting pictures in my minds eye about 'what would have been' all those years ago.

The gardens, thankfully, will be preserved for a long time yet :).

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

iNemesis

Tue May 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Sazzle wrote:
The gardens are beautiful during any season, and do deserve to have a share of the spotlight. As PeteB has said, a quaint little English tea hatch by the conservatories would be simply marvellous!

I would love to sit in a Tea House, enjoying a drink, looking out over the most beautiful, landscaped Gardens I've seen. In Summer, it would be truly bliss.

When I visit the park with my family, not everyone makes use of the rides & attractions. My mother, for example, would enjoy a nice brew in these surroundings, rather than the main attractions, simply because she likes the more quaint things in life!

The gardens will be maintained for many, many years to come!

PeteMadden

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:51 am

The gardens are definitely of too much importance to build into. I personally havent't looked around, purely because I want rides not gardens, but it certainately adds to the experience for some people.