UK theme parks from another point of view!

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Soft openings

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Do you think Alton Towers should have soft openings of new attractions during the week of Feb half term so they won't have problems that faced Sub Terra&13 when they opened.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Soft openings

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Soft Openings tend not to happen in the UK very much. Mostly because attractions are designed and built to open at the very start of the season. As a result they are never usually ready to open in time for the half term opening.

I'm sure if a ride was ready to open they might consider soft openings but with the tight schedule for building rides in this country it doesn't look likely.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:10 am

Yeah but they could start the project earlier. Sub Terra would have been perfect for soft openings during Feb half term then most of the problems on opening day wouldnt have happened. Disney and Universal soft open there attractions roughly a month before the grand opening so they can get guest feed back and tweek the attraction.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:10 pm

If I worked in the Towers I would push stuff like this cause I think it would be a good stress reduction and you create a kind of free event. Less stress=better atmosphere, better atmosphere=better day.

Then again Sub Terra isn't really going for a nice atmosphere. J/K it still stands I think.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:23 pm

that topic title is misleading  :lol:

i would agree this needs to be done perhaps on a competition style event or limited access/advanced booking only system

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:31 pm

The thing is, soft openings do actually work! I remember being able to ride Mission:Space in Epcot, around half a year before it was due to open. It was mental, almost too intense at that stage. After the ride opened, it was toned down (subsequently again a year or so later) due to the feedback from guests.

Now in Europe and America, it works. They usually build year round aiming for a peak season opening. Therefore can allow extra time for soft openings and stuff.

It's a lot harder over here. The only way it would work is if Towers began every build about 2 moths earlier to allow for this time. But then the issues are, it costs them more money for longer construction, and rides wouldn't open at the start of the season. So until UK parks open year-round, I can't see it happening really. As much as I think it's a good idea.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Alex-TT

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:14 pm

...and steal the fun from staff rides??

As above really, with schedules and many parks planning to open rides for 1st day of season soft openings are hard to achieve.

I think Legoland Windsor did with Atlantis but that was a mid season opening

jmc
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Towers have (kind of) done this before with Rita, only to the extent where Rita was open exclusively for hotel guests a few days before its official April 1st opening in 2005

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:05 pm

But that's my problem just look at the problems Sub Terra had this year it was that bad that they had to close the attraction down for a week to finish it off and add more scenes.

If they had a soft opening in Feb even if it was only available to Annual pass holders and hotel guests only they can take surveys and use feedback to improve the attraction and they will have roughly a month to tweak the ride.

They could even add improvements to Duel, Ice age 3D, Charlie and the chocolate factory, Hex and let hotel guests try them out on selected days and times.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReZourceman
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Much prefer hard openings.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:52 pm