UK theme parks from another point of view!

wowk94
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

The future of Duel

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:31 am

It's been nearly 10 years since the haunted house was ‘retro fitted’ with lasers and all other silly things. Anyway as the haunted house forgetfully soars through its 20th things are showing their age. Lots of effects don't work no more: lighting, gags, props, sound fx etc. What do you think? Duel still has plenty of life left in it or is it time for a refurb or maybe a whole new redevelopment?
Last edited by wowk94 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Do you think Duel needs a major update soon?

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:57 am

I had a dream that it did
It was to the style of the new artwork - where you've got skewed/brightly coloured buildings.
In the dream it didn't look that good and I saw Candy Holland working on the actual sets herself. I went up to her and asked her as an artist why she didn't produce a fuller work. Her reply was that Merlin didn't pay her enough.

(this is true by the way. I realise this looks like a elaborate attempt to mock merlin but its not)
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 am

Without causing a massive uproar among the Gloomy Wood fanboys, do we see the area lasting for another 10-20 years?

Popularity for the area from the general public is already at an all time low. I haven't had to queue for the ride in about 15 years! Back in 1993 when I first visited the park I remember the long, winding queue through the graveyard, full of people! The general public do not appreciate haunted houses like they used to. Unless you have the unlimited budgets Universal and Disney have, your never going to see a Haunted Mansion, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey themed ride on these shores.

Personally I love the area, nostalgia wants us to keep the area, leave the Haunted House alone, but in the long run, I just don't see it adding anything to the park. 
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:09 am

I agree  :(
As much as I want to retain the ride, and see it returned to its original amazingness, i just don't see it ever having the popularity to warrant it any more.
I think the dark forest idea was the beginning of the end for gloomy wood. After all, why would Alton build a new area with the exact same theme as an existing area in the park? Unless the development team have lost all sense, it's to begin the transition that will see Duel's closure

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:42 pm

I think a Re-theme is coming to be honest .
I think the retheme and general decay has helped us fan boys to let go slowely.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wowk94
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:15 pm

MattsDesigns wrote:
I think its coming to be honest.
I think the retheme and general decay has helped us fan boys to let go slowely.

Why does it need to come to an end though? There is so much potential in the haunted house it would be ludicrous to get rid all together. I'll just show you this "haunted" dark ride at brean Leisure Park UK. The exterior looks awful to some what like a 'fair ground' ride. But just watch the video and look inside. And for Christ sake brean Leisure Park is for families and young kids. The owner runs the sooty show for gods sake so surely this ride what i'm about to show you is aimed for families so therefore Alton towers could make the haunted house scarier with out disrupting the 'family' market. I think if they did achieve this it would certainly get more riders. But I myself is no expert on the cost of dark rides, so i'm pretty much clueless how much it would cost to refurb the haunted house at AT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9oID-PJrg

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 pm

So sorry - I mean a retheme (rather than knocking down).

Cause I agree there is a lot there that still looks good. If they come up with the right concept they would be able to keep much of the theming. Classic buildings look awesome when they are updated and decorated, why knock them down and build something new?

That ride also has excellent through put.

cookiee_munster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:02 pm

it is a shame that its popularity has dwindled. i never really liked the Duel overlay with the zombies. i thought it completely ruined the whole vibe of gloomy wood and the house.

Rather than gut/replace it. the designers just need to sit down, and create something not too scary, but creepy. if you've ever seen The Woman In Black, i'd love to see a ride with the same kind of look/vibe that film has.

EDIT - by this i mean that they don't have to create all sorts of elaborate effects and use animatronics or anything. the film was more about what you thought you saw. quite psychological. of course, i wouldn't want anything too scary.
Last edited by cookiee_munster on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wowk94
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:13 pm

cookiee_munster wrote:
it is a shame that its popularity has dwindled. i never really liked the Duel overlay with the zombies. i thought it completely ruined the whole vibe of gloomy wood and the house.

Rather than gut/replace it. the designers just need to sit down, and create something not too scary, but creepy. if you've ever seen The Woman In Black, i'd love to see a ride with the same kind of look/vibe that film has.

EDIT - by this i mean that they don't have to create all sorts of elaborate effects and use animatronics or anything. the film was more about what you thought you saw. quite psychological. of course, i wouldn't want anything too scary.

That's a very good idea. Sort of creating a physiological enhancing ride. I like it! However would this mean a total new refurbishment throughout the whole building? Facade and warehouse? And would there be any originality to the HH or are you saying this would be a total new development structure? Either way I like that idea concept. Reminds me of the film writer Oren Peli who created Paranormal activity. I was looking at an interview which he held not so long ago and he was saying that all of his films don’t actually show you what the “being/demon” is, as it complicates the mind and the viewer’s get more nervous because they don’t know what they are expecting to see or what this creature/demon is.

roary01
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:12 pm

If duel was to change, i actually think Alton have a MASSIVE opportunity here for a really scary experience if the ride was taken out, and it was turned into a walkthrough attraction?
The detailed theming already surpasses a majority of haunted houses, and if it were possible to get live actor back, like in duel live, imagine this at scarefest...

[quote="roary01"]
Just posted this idea roughly in another topic, but probably right to fit it here...
If Duel Live didn't return for 2013, the old queue-line would remain basically un-used again.. but i actually think its the perfect place for an outdoor scare maze, using the story to Duel...

New Quick logo made up...

--------------------------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW69XFzxhOc

The controversial genetic surgeon has vanished!
Leaving behing the un-finished research into the reanimation of the living dead!

The maze would begin at the old q entrance, weaving through the still in situ queue-line, through into the Haunted House and exiting into the shop

It would involve you re-entering the grounds of the House after so many years of the disappearance... unbeknowing to you the undead still walk the graveyard at night which you soon find out upon entering the maze.

Quick Walkthrough....
You begin at the old Q entrance,
you are met by the elderly groundskeeper/gravedigger who tells you about the dissapearance, and strange noises going on in the grounds, and then the russtling in the trees, the groundskeeper has vanished..
Your left on your own, and you need to escape.
Making your way through the graveyard you hear louder growns, rustling getting closer and closer, as its misty (fog) you can't quite clearly see, the groundskeeper runs from the trees, shouts THERE HERE!!! YOU MUST ESCAPE!!
you see him caught by a figure in the fog as he falls to the ground..
The figures move in as you keep passing the gravestones,
From here the figure have now come face to face with you and all you see is crowds of the undead making there way towards you at pace as you run for your lives, blooded faces hands as one runs to the front of the group carrying the severed head still dripping in blood of the groundskeeper..
the group makes there way into the Haunted House a tv flicks into a news channel where it shows the news report from the duel Q video, but with the part where they see the zombies approach the Haunted House here the tv goes dead.
The Doors smash open in the house as the zombies break through, you run through the rooms the zombies come from all possible angles and through the sets of the Haunted House, until your end up where Duel finishes and you escape just in time

So there it is, I don't know a name so just be the Duel Live: Scare Maze
To some people this may seem to much but i think it could be the new Field of 1000 screams and work really well,
If the park wanted to run the ride the same through-out the season possibly the track could be covered over to allow the walk-through attraction to take place.
everyone saw how popular duel Live was i think a walkthrough attraction could work if it was executed and run properly and kept refreshed, move actors around/sets...
It would be a costly change and i know people will say look at how Saw Alive went, well i think Alton Towers could make it work and would give the area a refresh.
Last edited by roary01 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 pm

cookiee_munster wrote:

get wardley back on the case (designer of the haunted house)
Image credit to Lewis97

cookiee_munster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:52 pm

wowk94 wrote:
cookiee_munster wrote:

That's a very good idea. Sort of creating a physiological enhancing ride. I like it! However would this mean a total new refurbishment throughout the whole building? Facade and warehouse? And would there be any originality to the HH or are you saying this would be a total new development structure? Either way I like that idea concept. Reminds me of the film writer Oren Peli who created Paranormal activity. I was looking at an interview which he held not so long ago and he was saying that all of his films don’t actually show you what the “being/demon” is, as it complicates the mind and the viewer’s get more nervous because they don’t know what they are expecting to see or what this creature/demon is.

i think it would be best for the ride to just have a good rehab. keep the warehouse, facade and track layout etc and just create new scenes a new soundtrack and story etc
ive never really liked the actual house facade. it just doesn't have that grandiose feel to it. but hey, the house is standing, its fine, no point removing something to create something similar.
And yes, like the paranormal interview its always the case. ever watched that scene in Alien when the female gets killed but you don't see it, just hear it? TRES creepy. purely because its left to you to imagine what's going on.
If you've ever watched The Others, that's a film that plays with sound something the designers really should utilize to the max using whispering and breathing.
i think anything that makes you use all your senses besides sight could be pretty interesting.

other wise. id just settle for a rootin' tootin' grim grimming haunted mansion rip-off. lol, love that ride.

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:26 pm

John Wardley wanted a bump and grind laugh in the dark ride and sadly that is not what we have these days.
It saddens me to see what has become of one of the best dark rides in the country.
The time has come to rip all the scenery out and start again, the ride system should remain though as it works like a dream and can munch queues like nothing else.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:48 pm

The ride just needs some TLC, the effects fixing, and a little updating and it will be good for another 20 years. I don't think a walk through attraction would work, people like to go on a ride and not walk through a building.

We have everything we need for a great dark ride already there.

I hope to god they don't do a 'Bubble Works' and turn the ride into a ride through Advert.
If you go down to the woods today

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm

bensaund wrote:
The ride just needs some TLC, the effects fixing, and a little updating and it will be good for another 20 years. I don't think a walk through attraction would work, people like to go on a ride and not walk through a building.

We have everything we need for a great dark ride already there.

I hope to god they don't do a 'Bubble Works' and turn the ride into a ride through Advert.

Unfortunately that's the way the industry is going these days. If it's done right, like Saw, I think you can pull off a great ride experience with the right budget behind it.

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:52 pm

On the one hand, I love duel, and don't think it should ever truly leave. It could definitely do with some small tweaks here and there. The ride system is effortlessly executed, and incredibly reliable considering its age, and complexity with the LEDs. 

On the other hand, its a damned big tin shed, and for all that land to be wasted on something so average, it kind of irks me. To redevelop it into a new dark ride would cost half the price with the building already in place, and gives the whole plot of land huge potential.

But it would seem with the Tussaud's era gone, the idea of recycling an old ride seems farfetched maybe?

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:05 am

Jammydodger wrote:
On the one hand, I love duel, and don't think it should ever truly leave. It could definitely do with some small tweaks here and there. The ride system is effortlessly executed, and incredibly reliable considering its age, and complexity with the LEDs. 

On the other hand, its a damned big tin shed, and for all that land to be wasted on something so average, it kind of irks me. To redevelop it into a new dark ride would cost half the price with the building already in place, and gives the whole plot of land huge potential.

But it would seem with the Tussaud's era gone, the idea of recycling an old ride seems farfetched maybe?

Does anybody actually know the size of the building/warehouse that holds the actual ride? It would be interesting to get an idea on scale compared to something like Harry Potter, Spiderman, Transformers etc.

Alot could be done with that amount of space, if the right budget was available.

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:52 am

sweedish2009 wrote:
Does anybody actually know the size of the building/warehouse that holds the actual ride? It would be interesting to get an idea on scale compared to something like Harry Potter, Spiderman, Transformers etc.

Alot could be done with that amount of space, if the right budget was available.

Here you go :) The building is pretty damned huge, Probably the largest single building on park

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=52.988718,-1.883125&spn=0.002658,0.004823&sll=52.98887,-1.883211&sspn=0.002658,0.004823&t=h&z=18

stu1980
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:05 am

As much as i like duel - i remember going on it before the lazers has been put in and i remember most the spiders bit i was on the floor of the car - I LOVED IT - now your too busy shooting lazer guns to watch anything and thats if it works.

up date needed????

sure is i now dont even fire the guns when i go round i just sit there and look for whats not working and what is its more fun. It needs a massive update to bring it in line way back when it opened the stuff used was cutting edge but now is looking a bit dated and old - im not saying get rid of it all im saying drop the lazer guns and go back to the way it was use the same track system if need be just update the scenes to save dosh.

As for the que area a scare maze in there like a zombie zone or summit then people look as if its two rides that could be billed as 2 new things.

Duel live im going to miss this year big time but hey ho and here we go.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:06 pm

I'm the same, I never use the laser guns I just go round looking at stuff and my eyes are always drawn to the effects that don't work properly.
The best thing I think they could do it return it to a proper dark ride without the guns and lot's more scares.
It needs to be darker smokier and smellier like a proper ghost train!