UK theme parks from another point of view!

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Do you think Duel needs a major update soon?

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:59 pm

I hope they don't use the, dark rides don't appeal to the british pubic as an excuse not to do anything with it.

I really want them to go back to what the huanted house was, but using a good storyline, spookes, special effects they could make this into an amazing ride.

Dual is great don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't pull of the crounds anymore. The graveyard is going to waste, get some actors and possibliy a preshow somewhere in a smaller building.

Keep the current ride system in place, add all of the above and remove the guns and LEDs, and you could have a world class dark ride there. If people want a interative laser shoot up ride, theres nothing to say you can't build one somewhere eles in the park.

stu1980
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:32 pm

sweedish2009 wrote:
Jammydodger wrote:
On the one hand, I love duel, and don't think it should ever truly leave. It could definitely do with some small tweaks here and there. The ride system is effortlessly executed, and incredibly reliable considering its age, and complexity with the LEDs. 

On the other hand, its a damned big tin shed, and for all that land to be wasted on something so average, it kind of irks me. To redevelop it into a new dark ride would cost half the price with the building already in place, and gives the whole plot of land huge potential.

But it would seem with the Tussaud's era gone, the idea of recycling an old ride seems farfetched maybe?

Does anybody actually know the size of the building/warehouse that holds the actual ride? It would be interesting to get an idea on scale compared to something like Harry Potter, Spiderman, Transformers etc.

Alot could be done with that amount of space, if the right budget was available.

The construction of the Haunted House took just under 18 months and was introduced to the park for the 1992 season. The ride area is equal to that of two football pitches and most of this is covered by a warehouse-style building that is cleverly disguised by the frontage of the abandoned gothic house.

The house is built using a combination of steel, timber, brick and concrete block work which is covered with a sand and cement render finished in an aged stonework effect.

The vast ride transit system was developed and produced by a German company called Mack rides. They designed the cars and the complex fin track system, which allows the car to speed up and slow down depending upon the fin contact between car and rails. The cars have an onboard computer system that communicate between the ride station control room, other cars and blocks that were connected to the fin track. Each car reportedly cost Alton Towers eighteen thousand pounds, of which there were 34, so this was a dark ride with a high budget and even higher expectations.

The construction went well and things ran to time, with the ride being promoted for the new 1992 season.
Last edited by stu1980 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Depends what you mean by a mjor update. I think they just need to keep on top of the ride; making sure all the effects are working and perhaps fixing and updating some effects. I don't think anything 'major' needs to be done at the moment. And in reply to what someone mentioned earlier about the queue; the reason you don't need to really queue for Duel is due to the increased through-put; this occured from the shortened ride length. However, during Scarefest, the queue does seem to get bigger as they open up the outdoor queue. I guess everyone is just waiting for the return of Duel:Live

stu1980
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Krazycoaster wrote:
Depends what you mean by a mjor update. I think they just need to keep on top of the ride; making sure all the effects are working and perhaps fixing and updating some effects. I don't think anything 'major' needs to be done at the moment. And in reply to what someone mentioned earlier about the queue; the reason you don't need to really queue for Duel is due to the increased through-put; this occured from the shortened ride length. However, during Scarefest, the queue does seem to get bigger as they open up the outdoor queue. I guess everyone is just waiting for the return of Duel:Live

34 cars max running at 5 people a car thats 170 people every 4min 13secs - so the total number of riders per hour is appx 2040ph good if you ask me - when you look at other rides ie CACF 1000ph and sonic spinball 870ph i think as ive said keep the track and cars just update the scenes
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:08 am

There is nothing wrong with the ride, but I noticed yesterday that many effects are not working and and the audio is not working in some areas, this needs to be addressed.

Also for Scarefest, they should have one or two live actors in there to scare the guests
If you go down to the woods today

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 am

I say turn it back into just a haunted house! re fit it all with new tech and just scare the pants off people!

JoyfulSin
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:47 am

When I went on Duel 2 weeks ago, a lot of effects were broken.

I think if they are going to update it, they should take out the shooting element and focus more on getting the effects working properly, as well as adding more. Large parts of the ride are almost bare!

I wish they'd also replace that manky blue/grey carpet which is covered in chewing gum.  :x

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:16 pm

would it really cost so much to have the sensors on but have them not lit up, and only have them on the enemies, shooting targets such as a wall or windowsill seems rather odd to me, just have it so you fight the evils with in.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Ripsaw Raver wrote:
would it really cost so much to have the sensors on but have them not lit up, and only have them on the enemies, shooting targets such as a wall or windowsill seems rather odd to me, just have it so you fight the evils with in.

This wouldn't cost anything. In reality, it would cost less because you are not powering the sensors. When they used to Duel Live they used to switch the sensors off.

tpjames
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:12 pm

My favourite ride on Duel in the last few years was at Scarefest maybe 2 or 3 years ago when they were doing Duel Live.  The lasers and LEDs were turned off, so it felt very much like riding through the old Haunted House again ... with the addition of a few live actors dotted around. 

Although the laser guns are fun, they require so much concentration that there isn't much time to appreciate any of the scenes these days.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The future of Duel

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:22 pm

I loved the original HH but one problem with HH coming back is everyone knows it like the back of their hand now.
We know where all the scares are.
Since we know everything that happens it gives our brain room to think about our lives therfor we don't escpae as well.

I would much rather keep Duel than a new rollercoaster though, for entirely none sentimental reasons.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:29 am

Well they should do something with the ride next year as it is it's 21st birthday. In the queueline they should bring back the sound for the dolls house. Get rid of the queueline tvs. I think they should add more special effects inside with the use of projectors to make it look like there's more ghosts inside.

quackers
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Not sure if Duel is the ride to do it with, but i would like a ride that takes a random route each time, so if you ride it again you will more than likely get a different ride. So the Haunted House but more scary with the not knowing which effects you would get, many different paths for the train to take.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:00 am

Duel has so many good qualities and if anything should remain as it is but better maintained.

It is a dark ride, we don't have enough good dark rides
If its raining or cold, you can get out of the elements
Its a nice sit down relaxing ride
It has very high throughput and hardly any queues and if you like you can often re-ride it, I do this often

If anything it should not be removed, its one of those rides which for me adds to the magic.

Vanessa Feltz
TT Member
TT Member

The future of Duel

Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:50 am

Duel has had a lot of work done this year, such as adding back a lot of the old sound effects, so I can't see the park getting rid of it anytime soon.

It's also quite reliable except for the fact it's built right over the top of a gas main, but safety measures are in place for guests safety regarding that.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:21 pm

I think the potential relocation of the main park entrance will decide Duel's fate.

If we get a new entrance that close to Gloomy Wood I would fully expect something to be done with the area. Whether that means a new ride being added to GW or the end of Duel?

It will become a much more popular area to the general public if the entrance is place where proposed on the plans submitted. It'll be less of a 'walk through' area.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:50 pm

I seriously doubt anything will happen with Duel for a long time, its one of their key rides and a huge asset to Alton. To remove it would be like to remove the Bubbleworks from Chessington, you know its not going to happen.

electricBlll_Returns
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:07 pm

A haunted house or ghost train is a specific kind of ride. They are rarely to be taken seriously as something really intended to scare, instead employing a mock horror stylisation to give them a sense of fun. The Haunted House at Alton Towers was intended to be the ultimate version of this classic ghost train idea. It was built to be much more advanced technically, allowing it to operate as a professional theme park ride with high capacity and quality, but to still retain (or pay homage to) that fun mock horror style. That's what it was - a pastiche Haunted House, but with an Alton Towers twist to it. Hence the larger than life sculpted ghosts, the theatrical blacklighting, highly kinetic music and detailed sets, with one gag after another with no need for a backstory or gimmick to carry it along.

This is where Duel does not fit in. The ride was badly maintained and altered by people who seemingly misunderstood what the ride was getting at. After a while less people were "getting" the point of the ride, so they decided to add lasers and zombies (both of which are clichéd gimmickry!), completely against what it was in 1992. It was a cheap fix which did more damage than fixing the ride in my opinion.

In the future, if anything, they should restore the original purpose of the ride, which thankfully we have been seeing lately. Such as the original characteristic bespoke sfx instead of the generic library sfx you hear everywhere (the restoration of these sounds has aactually only come about because of one man who contacted the sound engineer who recorded them). There's no need for any pretentious new technology to come into what is really quite a basic ride, like projections or highly advanced animatronics. Just take it back to being the Alton Towers Haunted House - most good theme parks have a ghost train of sorts, so Alton Towers should have the best. At the moment it is a confused mess, trying to be an interactive laser quest when it was so obviously was not built for that purpose.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:48 pm

well this is one place you could have solar panels on the roof
"Duel sponsored by British Gas"

The Dark ride that runs of light.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Tom.B

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:17 am

how about turning it into a long scare maze, which is short of a game! You could be going through the maze and it could get scarier and scarier the further you go in. There are various exits along the maze if you don't think you can stand it any more. When you go through the exits, there could be an actor standing behind the door. All exits lead to the gift shop!