UK theme parks from another point of view!

SuperWill
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Would You Like To See The Return Of Henry And Henrietta Hound?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:39 am

Some of us know that Henry Hound made a famous return in 2005 but since then he hasn't come back for any special visits! I didn't see Henry and Henrietra because I wasn't alive/born but I heard that they were awesome mascots so if you saw them back in the 80's would you like to see them return for one day or forever?
P.S For people who don't know who Henry and Henrietta are I will explain now! Henry and Henrietra were famous Alton Towers mascots in the 80's but left in the 90's but as I said Henry made a famous return in 2005 but since then he hasn't come back nor Henrietta!

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Would You Like To See The Return Of Henry And Henrietta Hound?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:20 am

im 50/50
the tradition vs. something fresh/new
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:48 pm

I'd love to see them come back even though i never saw them in the first place, I also share the name with one of them! :D
Seeing as lots of theme parks have them, it would be nice to see them back or for Alton to bring in something new!
Last edited by Henry on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

cybermen39
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:42 pm

They should have Henry back but in the 1993 version in Red dungaress as the they don't make the original fur that was used for Henry.The 2005 version was not on par with the 1993 tausards version there was no movement in the head it just sat on the shoulders' Henry had so much character and that could not be seen in the new version.And when they did send him off to the Betty Ford Clinic in 1993 it was 1 mans decision and all of Alton Towers staff had a pertition to stop this but to no joy. And not long after he left. At the end of every season the costume dept made up 3 of every character and 4 of Henry as he was needed for on park and the ice show Magic show,Piazza show and parade. So there were all these new tausards Henrys with no use to them. I over the years have brought 16 original character costumes including 2 original Henrys both unused 1994 versions and are still perfect. John Brooking who made the original designs both drawings to costumes went to great lenths to get these for myself way back to 1998 when i brought my last costume the count. Henry is so part of Alton he would be a great asset to have back there.There was so much history to him and all the characters had back storys to fit in with the towers. Nowadays when a costume is worn out they just think of a new character and that lasts around three years and its on to the next.Most theme parks and such stick to a character and you go knowing that he or she will give you that lovely greeting put a smile on your face as you enter the park or see them roaming around. Something you don't see now. Back then Henry would greet guests at the start of the monorail station even sit with you till you got off the other end. He had sponsers From Coca Cola, Ladybird books had Three books available from stores all over the uk.Cannon had him in there adverts on tv for there cameras. He was on every piece of cafe utensils in the cafes around the park' he was on every member of staffs badge' every height chart for rides. And you could buy anything from a china thimble to Henry Carpet. Any how i've gone on far to much but back then they did things right not half cock. I would put photos on of my collection but i can't seem to do it. But if anyone wants to pm me i would send photos of all my Henry costumes and collection. I even have an original flag that flu in the entrance to the main park entrance also with Henry on its 10 feet by 12 feet.You did say he has not made an appearance since 2005 but when a older member of staff leaves or retires Henry makes an in house return as a nice surprise for them. He carries a suit case covered in labels of all the places hes been away visting. The Cuddly Bears also still exist and they are also time less and all they need is new fur bodys and there heads are fibre glass so never show age and are touched up easy, very Disney esque. And they were also so cute and had so much character. Alton Towers are really missing the point when it comes to Entertainment.
Alan Wagstaff who was head of Entertainment always said you must  make the guest forget that there is a world outside of Alton Towers and make them believe in the magic and thats something you don't get these days.Rides are all good and well but you need somthing more to make your day special and Henry and friends did just that and more. If you look in the mascot section nearly all the photos are mine. Any how thats it from me and just my point and if you have never seen Henry or friends look on utube at his ice shows from 1993 and clips from the christmas ice shows. And if anyone wants any of the old shows i have every show he was in from 1988 to 1993 and all other shows up until 2000 i stoped filming them after that as the magic seem to leave.But it needs to return.

gaz1313
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 am

cybermen39 wrote:
They should have Henry back but in the 1993 version in Red dungaress as the they don't make the original fur that was used for Henry.The 2005 version was not on par with the 1993 tausards version there was no movement in the head it just sat on the shoulders' Henry had so much character and that could not be seen in the new version.And when they did send him off to the Betty Ford Clinic in 1993 it was 1 mans decision and all of Alton Towers staff had a pertition to stop this but to no joy. And not long after he left. At the end of every season the costume dept made up 3 of every character and 4 of Henry as he was needed for on park and the ice show Magic show,Piazza show and parade. So there were all these new tausards Henrys with no use to them. I over the years have brought 16 original character costumes including 2 original Henrys both unused 1994 versions and are still perfect. John Brooking who made the original designs both drawings to costumes went to great lenths to get these for myself way back to 1998 when i brought my last costume the count. Henry is so part of Alton he would be a great asset to have back there.There was so much history to him and all the characters had back storys to fit in with the towers. Nowadays when a costume is worn out they just think of a new character and that lasts around three years and its on to the next.Most theme parks and such stick to a character and you go knowing that he or she will give you that lovely greeting put a smile on your face as you enter the park or see them roaming around. Something you don't see now. Back then Henry would greet guests at the start of the monorail station even sit with you till you got off the other end. He had sponsers From Coca Cola, Ladybird books had Three books available from stores all over the uk.Cannon had him in there adverts on tv for there cameras. He was on every piece of cafe utensils in the cafes around the park' he was on every member of staffs badge' every height chart for rides. And you could buy anything from a china thimble to Henry Carpet. Any how i've gone on far to much but back then they did things right not half cock. I would put photos on of my collection but i can't seem to do it. But if anyone wants to pm me i would send photos of all my Henry costumes and collection. I even have an original flag that flu in the entrance to the main park entrance also with Henry on its 10 feet by 12 feet.You did say he has not made an appearance since 2005 but when a older member of staff leaves or retires Henry makes an in house return as a nice surprise for them. He carries a suit case covered in labels of all the places hes been away visting. The Cuddly Bears also still exist and they are also time less and all they need is new fur bodys and there heads are fibre glass so never show age and are touched up easy, very Disney esque. And they were also so cute and had so much character. Alton Towers are really missing the point when it comes to Entertainment.
Alan Wagstaff who was head of Entertainment always said you must  make the guest forget that there is a world outside of Alton Towers and make them believe in the magic and thats something you don't get these days.Rides are all good and well but you need somthing more to make your day special and Henry and friends did just that and more. If you look in the mascot section nearly all the photos are mine. Any how thats it from me and just my point and if you have never seen Henry or friends look on utube at his ice shows from 1993 and clips from the christmas ice shows. And if anyone wants any of the old shows i have every show he was in from 1988 to 1993 and all other shows up until 2000 i stoped filming them after that as the magic seem to leave.But it needs to return.

Now that my friend, is impressive! Yes, definitely definitely definitely bring him back. Henry Hound IS Alton Towers, an institution. Bringing back the character would be the start of rekindling the magic. We need a magic Gif, it comes up that often!

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:50 pm

some lovely pictures I uploaded for Cybermen39 - Hope they are all there.

Awesome pawsome  8) (and sorry to Cybermen for my brain fart)
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

cybermen39
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Thankyou to Mattsdesigns for putting the photos on . The first 2 are from the Archive room in the front part of the Towers just up stairs where the first entrance to Terror of the Towers used to be. THe 1 is Henry Carpet. There are 2 of 1 of the original entrance flags that flu as you drove in. The one's of the count are from last years scarefest at the 2 hotels. And Henry in closed seasen at the bottom of Towers street in 2000.The others are some of the characters out and about. And you see they are alll still in great condtion. !1 photo is a small part of my Henry collection and charaters. Thankyou again Mattdesigns.

cybermen39
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:48 pm

The 2 photos of street theatre are Lady Alton Dug the gardner and best of all Ida Down the cleaner who was great she used to have some great put downs to the guests like (brought your own food love heard about the prices) and no time to do your hair today.She (he) was great also sang in the hotel.