UK theme parks from another point of view!

ADM182
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Water Rides (Lack Of)

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:37 am

Morning All,

We all know the Flume is well past its best and just looks awfull, but granted it does get you wet and the 'Rapids' well they are not rapid in an shape or form!

Anyone else think the whole ride type should be given serious attention as it is an area of the parts ride setup that is shocking compared to others!

So if SW8 isnt a water coaster what would people like to see as a standard water replament and upgrade of the rapids?

SuperWill
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Water Rides (Lack Of)

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 am

I would like Alton Towers to build a ride similar to Tidal Wave at Thorpe Park! Yes it might be a short ride but it would be a great ride if it was a really hot day and you needed to cool off! ;)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D

Benjsh

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Rapids

The Rapids are one of the corner stones of any decent theme park so that's that really. Still a great attraction. Wish they would fix all the bleeding effects though and possibly add 1 or 2 more shooting barrells. They are still a great laugh with your friends.

The Flume

Has had it's day. I think everybody is in agreement with that. In fact I think most conventional log flumes have had their day personally. They are just tired looking things in parks for me nowadays. Perhaps that's due to my age.....I dunno. I can't see it lasting more than 2 more seasons, 3 at the most. It certainly won't get any more work on it. They will just run it into the ground now I reckon.

Flume Replacement?

It's hard to say. They clearly have had ideas about the area. They put up signs a year or so ago claiming the flume was on its way out so it's not going to last much longer.

Something on the scale of Valhalla or Jounrey to Atlantis would be absolutely incredible but it will never happen. Just can't see AT spending that much on a water attraction, even though they are huge crowd pullers.

mikeysmodels07
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:52 pm

I think that the Flume is still a good family ride, and also the Rapids. The flume definitely needs an improvement possibly something linking into a pirate theme as it is close to Mutiny Bay. It is still a good ride and i know that the ques are usually very busy and i know i always go on it practically every time i go there! maybe just an improvement is needed? I wouldn't like to see the flume go if i'm honest. With the rapids i do think that they are again a good family ride but maybe add some additional features such as water canons by the side of the ride so passers by can use this to interact with the ride its self?
Alton Towers is the best Theme Park in the UK - Mike Eardley

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:31 pm

I agree that AT needs some form of a water ride to compete with the rest of the UK. I do have a soft spot for the flume as it was my first log flume/water ride and it is still a fairly popular ride that draws in the crowds, but it does need a retheme badly if it stays at the park. However if it does go, a watercoaster from Mack/Intamin would be a must.

Benji
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:33 pm

Cough cough

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 249&type=3

Key word though - unofficial!

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!

mikeysmodels07
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:34 pm

ImURNemesis wrote:
I agree that AT needs some form of a water ride to compete with the rest of the UK. I do have a soft spot for the flume as it was my first log flume/water ride and it is still a fairly popular ride that draws in the crowds, but it does need a retheme badly if it stays at the park. However if it does go, a watercoaster from Mack/Intamin would be a must.
i agree with what your saying, the flume is still a good ride and it would be a shame and a big loss to the park. I think it just needs a good retheme possibley a pirate theme.

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Benji wrote:
Cough cough

That was posted a while ago.

mikeysmodels07
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Benji wrote:
Cough cough

wow that looks impressive would be a good addition. Its like the corkscrew scenario it was such a same to lose such a good ride but thirteen is a good ride as a replacement. This is the same situation

roary01
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 pm

mikeysmodels07 wrote:
Benji wrote:
Cough cough

wow that looks impressive would be a good addition. Its like the corkscrew scenario it was such a same to lose such a good ride but thirteen is a good ride as a replacement. This is the same situation

This is true and i think Alton as a park has been going through the period where A lot of the attractions are coming to the end of there running life's unless the park feels they should refurbish them. However much like the Corkscrew, the Flume although a firm favourite still with families, it can't go on forever, and has its years numbered. Rapids, is still doing very well for its age and could just do with a few more small water effects.
Flume on other hand, can't go for much longer, and the cost to keep it running is surely mounting, and i do feel we may see a new kind of water ride for a replacement, as we know AT like to be the front runners and for the Flume replacement it would have to be something special.

mikeysmodels07
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 pm

roary01 wrote:
mikeysmodels07 wrote:
Benji wrote:
Cough cough

This is true and i think Alton as a park has been going through the period where A lot of the attractions are coming to the end of there running life's unless the park feels they should refurbish them. However much like the Corkscrew, the Flume although a firm favourite still with families, it can't go on forever, and has its years numbered. Rapids, is still doing very well for its age and could just do with a few more small water effects.
Flume on other hand, can't go for much longer, and the cost to keep it running is surely mounting, and i do feel we may see a new kind of water ride for a replacement, as we know AT like to be the front runners and for the Flume replacement it would have to be something special.

i agree with what your saying! unfortunately the rides which are coming to an end are good classic rides which have always been popular. Like you said with the rapids some more effects could be added which would make the ride better and just to add something to it. Also like you said the flume would be a big loss but it would take something special to beat it. Its not impossible but its a classic ride which i always go on when im there and always attracts big ques. There is however quite a lot of space if they did get rid of the flume which could make way for a possible new water ride and the plans roary01 sent with the link looks like a possible good development if they did choose to remove the flume.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:22 pm

There's not a lack of water rides at Towers. It actually has more water rides than one might expect upon visiting; The Flume, Congo River Rapids, Battle Galleons, two water-based attractions (Riverbank & Charlie) and Ripsaw which can give riders a drenching on a hot day. However, The Flume is not of sufficient quality and could do with being replaced by either a higher quality flume or a water coaster.

Benji
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:24 pm

The problem with water rides in the UK is that most of time we do not have very good weather. I'm not saying that they don't pull big queues because they do. All I'm suggesting is that they have a water ride with a large, decent indoor section as well as an amazing outdoors section

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!

mikeysmodels07
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Benji wrote:
The problem with water rides in the UK is that most of time we do not have very good weather. I'm not saying that they don't pull big queues because they do. All I'm suggesting is that they have a water ride with a large, decent indoor section as well as an amazing outdoors section

i agree with the weather side of things so yeah that does make sense about having a water ride, but on a warm day they are great to have. The link to that water ride possiblity would be a great idea as it would fit and it also looks like a good family fun ride which would fit into the park well

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:29 am

Far too many water rides at Alton Towers already. They need to be ditching them not adding more.  Flume, Rapids, Ripsaw, Battle Galleons are all wet rides, then you also have the gentle boat rides like Charlie and Riverbank.

The UK climate does not favour wet rides and I'm completely baffled as to why Alton keep building them. We get about 2 months (if we're lucky) of warm(ish) weather in this country and if you look on any other normal day, these rides never have a queue. People don't want to be cold and wet, which mean's they're unpopular and its just bad for business all round.  It's great fun when you're in Orlando and it's 34 degrees, but not in the UK.

Personally I think Alton need to #getaclue

The Flume needs to go, they're old style rides and unless something like Valhalla replaced it they'd be better off just going with a coaster or something else.

I would like to see the Rapids get an update though. Fix all the water spray effects, add lots of new scenery/theming, decorate the tunnel etc.  The water cannons added last season were a very welcome addition.

mikeysmodels07
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:13 pm

PeteB wrote:
Far too many water rides at Alton Towers already. They need to be ditching them not adding more.  Flume, Rapids, Ripsaw, Battle Galleons are all wet rides, then you also have the gentle boat rides like Charlie and Riverbank.

The UK climate does not favour wet rides and I'm completely baffled as to why Alton keep building them. We get about 2 months (if we're lucky) of warm(ish) weather in this country and if you look on any other normal day, these rides never have a queue. People don't want to be cold and wet, which mean's they're unpopular and its just bad for business all round.  It's great fun when you're in Orlando and it's 34 degrees, but not in the UK.

Personally I think Alton need to #getaclue

The Flume needs to go, they're old style rides and unless something like Valhalla replaced it they'd be better off just going with a coaster or something else.

I would like to see the Rapids get an update though. Fix all the water spray effects, add lots of new scenery/theming, decorate the tunnel etc.  The water cannons added last season were a very welcome addition.

I do agree with what your saying about the weather because yeah we don't have good weather and like you said when we do its only got a few months. However i think that the flume is a popular ride and maybe an update would be a good idea if not the link to them plans for a roller coaster water ride would be a good idea as it would be family friendly as well as having indoor elements to the ride as well so the whole ride inst just outside.

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:06 pm

An Intamin AquaTrax; that's what we need :D

Themeparkinjection
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:15 am

We have the flume,the rapids and the battle galleons the only thing i would say is there to be a pirate water coaster thing in mutiny bay as said of before or a pirate Vallahla

mikeysmodels07
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:44 am

Themeparkinjection wrote:
We have the flume,the rapids and the battle galleons the only thing i would say is there to be a pirate water coaster thing in mutiny bay as said of before or a pirate Vallahla

I agree!

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:24 am

Krazycoaster wrote:
An Intamin AquaTrax; that's what we need :D

I would totally be cool with an AquaTrax replacing the flume. They aren't too bad at all.