UK theme parks from another point of view!

Adrian
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Water Rides (Lack Of)

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:36 am

This has been the one thing I have wanted Alton Towers to sort out! They are seriously missing a good modern water ride. The Flume is fun but is part of the parks past and needs to go. It takes up a huge area which could accommodate a superb new water ride. I still love The Rapids, there are bigger and better around the World but Alton's is fun and fits in Katanga so well. Next year should be the long waited Flume replacement!

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 am

Alton towers are severely missing a large, modern water attraction. An intamin aqua-trax would be an awesome addition to the park. The flume will have to go by the end of 2013/2014. I expect (hope) a flume replacement for the 2015 season, either a water coaster or a new flume of some kind. 

nodestinyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Perhaps they could just re-theme Flume and spruce it up abit, change the bath tubs to somethign else, remove the ducks and have something different, then build a new attraction along side this, it's always a popular ride and i love it ..

mikeysmodels07
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:01 pm

nodestinyx wrote:
Perhaps they could just re-theme Flume and spruce it up abit, change the bath tubs to somethign else, remove the ducks and have something different, then build a new attraction along side this, it's always a popular ride and i love it ..

I agree!
Alton Towers is the best Theme Park in the UK - Mike Eardley

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 pm

SuperWill wrote:
I would like Alton Towers to build a ride similar to Tidal Wave at Thorpe Park! Yes it might be a short ride but it would be a great ride if it was a really hot day and you needed to cool off! ;)

That would be good but remember Altons height restrictions (Cant build above tree height), the ride wouldent be very big and it would be less enjoyable than Tidal Wave at TP. Plus The Flume is a very popular ride and attracts alot of people. However I do like the idea  :D

Trisnie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Tom170499 wrote:
(Cant build above tree height)

Then all Alton need to do is invest in Giant Trees!

Forza_Dan24
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Indeed giant trees would be hard to argue against "that tree is higher than tree height... wait a minute!" :P

I agree they want to be looking for a flume replacement as it just seems to be deteriorating more and more as time goes on  :?
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!

Danny

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:17 pm

All it needs is a nice cleaning up and a theme to match Mutiny Bay. If my mind can go wild with ideas on this front, I'm sure the creative boffins at Towers can do a fantastic job.

ADM182
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 am

I'm not sure on the fiscal front, there cant be much that can be salvaged from the flume as it stands.
Even a full re-furb and re-theme would cost a couple of hundred thousand £ for only a couple of years life and with nothing to shout about as it is just a flume i doubt they will 'splash' the cash on it!

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:04 pm

I think the Flume, replaced with an Intamin Aquatrax.
Charlie updated as soon as the contract runs out.
The Rapids re-done to the standards of Kali River Rapids at Walt Disney World, but that wont happen, so maybe just going with a more adventurous layout with a waterfall and a little more theming.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

nodestinyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:11 pm

As I have posted already and will re-iterate the flume should stay as it is, but just be re-themed, and perhaps some extra dripping things can be added and things that squirt water.. i think the flume cars could be removed and then the shape changed to something like a gun powder barrel ... the tunnel could then hold a pirate instead of the duck, flashing lights and a little bit of smoke could give the effect of being shot out of a gun or cannon ... ect ect ... my head is full of ideas.

As for the rapids ... they need more water and to actually get wet .. i stayed dry and so was the boat i went in

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:09 pm

The Flume just can't really stay. I love the flume, but it is the oldest ride in operation, and is becoming unconventional to run and maintain. It would be great to stay, but a refurbishment/retheme wouldn't solve the problems it is causing. It takes up a lot of space, is not Eco-efficient, and costs a lot to maintain.  The whole track would have to be replaced for it to last another 20 years. Unfortunately, I think it will have to be replaced by the end of the 2013/2014 season. However, I am sure AT will have a great replacement for the 2015 (2016?) season. AT will not let us down!

Mattitude
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:03 pm

The Flume is still very popular with people of all ages and always has a decent queue whatever the weather. In my opinion its well past it's best though (but that applies to all flume rides nowadays!!). I don't think another re-theme (like they have done with the bathtubs/ducks) will cut it this time.

Alton Towers have a great oppotunity to build a pirate themed water ride to fit nicely with Mutiny bay and i think we will see some development on this in the next couple of years. Height restrictions will be the stumbling block so they'll have to work hard with the terrain but there is a fair amount of space to work with.

How about something similar to Storm Force 10 at Drayton manor Park?

As for the Rapids, again very popular but tired looking and in need of refurbishment.

mattiepearce
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:57 am

They could always get a intamin watercoaster
http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx
Previously known as Coastermadpearce.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:46 pm

the flume is ok but every park has one and alton always goes for world beating stuff so mabey a replacement is needed even if it is a new flume with a different theme

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Water Rides (Lack Of)

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 am

Coastermadpearce wrote:

I don't really think one of those is possible due to the height limit, even if they dug it into a pit you would have to climb down to get to it a i don't think people would like that.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:59 am

Henry wrote:
Coastermadpearce wrote:

I don't really think one of those is possible due to the height limit, even if they dug it into a pit you would have to climb down to get to it a i don't think people would like that.

You could always use a slope to your advantage like they have done with the Smiler.....

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

JonoD
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Never liked water rides really (having to drive home for 3 hours feeling soggy is never a fun thing to do  :lol: ) but I agree that the Flume is looking like a VERY tired ride now. It's lasted longer than Corkscrew did though which is saying something.

Alton Towers does need a new water ride really, even if it isn't on the same scale as The Flume. I know Aquatrax has been batted around a lot in discussion before, but how? If money was no object, I'd be happy to build a water coaster entirely over that lake.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:35 pm

i don't really feel that AT actually need any more water rides. the rapids is a family ride and it is fun. its not overly aggressive so that attracts the family. i admit they they need to work on the scenery, but given their history i don't think they will as they don't tend to give a monkey after the rides opened.

the flume, yes i agree it is a bit old but its one of the rides in the park that you know what to expect. i know this may sound odd but the fact that it goes high in the trees, it still is kind of magical if its your first time on the ride or you go to the park once a year. personally i would like a complete overhaul of the flume. design a new track layout, a few more drops, maybe even a reverse drop.

battle galleons in my opinion is horrible. it looks so out of place where it is. even though it is designed for the family it just is wrong. it needs replacing or just moving

charlie is a good ride for the kids. i don't actually have any problems with it.

and i don't class ripsaw as a water ride.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:20 pm

They need to bin the section of the flume that just floats around.  Its only there because of the dinosaurs in the 80's. If they had it so it went from first drop,  through tunnel,  round and up the 2nd it'd be great.  Then they could expand the dark forest and add in something else