UK theme parks from another point of view!

jayson2125
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

What's going on in gloomy wood : duel queue line

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Just come back from the towers today and noticed that in the old queue line for duel there has been trees cleared and the old fences that made up the winding route to the haunted house have been renewed.

Why would this be done as this queue is not used anymore and has been neglected for a long time.?

Only last week I said to my friend that this area would be great to house a flat ride to give a filler between Katanga canyon and gloomy wood.......was I right..

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.

joelpagett
TT Member
TT Member

Re: What's going on in gloomy wood : duel queue line

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:57 pm

I know the area you mean, I have never seen that Duel queue being used, Although I thought it would make a good area for a horror attraction at fright nights, maybe they think that the ride will be popular again this season and just tidying up the queue area?

Danny

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:05 pm

I've only ever used it once, which was during Scarefest 2009. It really had a magical yet eerie atmosphere in the dark. It should be mandatory that this queue is used for all future Scarefest events for Duel!

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Could be being cleared as part of preparation for a Scarefest event by the sounds of it then. They must either be using it as a queue for a scarefest event or got plans to improve duel and attract more customers...highly unlikely I'm sure but no less of an exciting idea (and just an idea-my idea  :|)

Tom
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:41 am

I've only ever used it once, back in 2004 I think.

It's a shame it's not used, even though Duel doesn't pull the queues to justify it, I think it would still be worthwhile to use it as it would act as a sort of buffer for the indoor queue as people wander about the external queue.

electricBlll_Returns
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Just come back from the towers today and noticed that in the old queue line for duel there has been trees cleared and the old fences that made up the winding route to the haunted house have been renewed.
I was worried for a moment... I thought you said removed, rather than renewed.

Well, thank goodness, it looked like it had never been used for years last time I saw it. The "forgotten" atmosphere actually quite suited the Gloomy Wood theme and felt brilliant with the music and everything... But not so great when the fences wobble if you lean on them and large sections of the path closed off because of broken paving.

I queued there for ages in Scarefest 2009 and a little bit a year or so before that.  On really busy days the queue does get long enough to extend back into the trees, but whether the ride hosts can be bothered to close the gates and reroute the queue to the other entrance is another matter...

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:54 pm

the area could be part of a scare fest  2013 but if their is a new flat ride coming (not very likely) it probaly wont be open untill mid 2014 they should deffinatley add one  in there though nice post! :D

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:38 pm

If Duel is going to be used at Scarefest, could it be so you do the scare maze in the queue and then have a sort of compulsory ride on Duel, but Duel live? I would definitely do that. One more thing is that when you walk into Gloomy Wood, you can see the queue, so wouldn't they have to somehow block that off?
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:41 pm

yeah i guess so but the area the flat ride blade is in is very open it is probaly nothing but it could be more than we think your theory about the scare maze makes sence however im sure they would make use of the space as a ride area thanks for your post :D

jayson2125
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:58 pm

we spotted last week that there is actually quite a large area i.e queue line and this would easily house a flat of some sort.

When we went this last weekend and the area had been cleared/renewed we are sure that something will appear here.

Just a thought but what flats do Merlin have spare or being removed from other parks that could go here.

Maybe some of the props from the London dungeon to be used as theming for a small flat.? If I was guessing I would say some sort of roundabout/spinning flat as there is nothing in Alton since dynamo left.

Or dare I say it the infamous robo-arm ride

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.

Hmv
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:10 pm

I certainly haven't heard anything about a flat ride appearing up there. I personally think that Alton is expecting one of its busiest years if not the busiest in its history. Therefore they may just be preparing all the queue lines for the increased numbers of people, duels extended queue line is probably top of the agenda because it got very badly damaged in last years storms. I also think it would be very cool to see a scare maze/live actors up there during scarefest but I highly doubt we will ever see duel live again!!! Which I must add was amazing back in the day!!!

tharrison4815
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 pm

This is great news. I really hope that they do something with Duel for Scarefest this year. This gives me reason to hope.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Duel: Live was a highlight of Scarefest in the couple of years before in was scrapped - the ride's return to its true form over the period, even had it been minus the actors - was really quite wonderful and the actors were used to great effect. It was a very creepy experience which catered to the true 'family' market - something which has been lacking at recent events, which have catered only to the hardcore thrillseekers and young children.

Of course, the unused Haunted House queue line is also worth noting in itself. In a park where 'Haunted Hollow' is plugged as an attraction it's scandalous that a superior area of creepy pathway has been left neglected and I, like many others in this thread, feel that it should be an area of queue line which is opened if on the quietest of days - it really contributes to the atmosphere of the area!

It's a waste, and I doubt what they've done is anything more than keeping it in reasonable condition 'just in case' it has to be opened up during the school trip / summer period due to crowds... I would absolutely love to be proven wrong though.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:44 pm

If the area is big I think a flat ride could be coming as why prepare for scarefest so early? The ride could be simmilar  to the the cobra spinning ride at Chessington world of adventures. :D

electricBlll_Returns
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:00 am

This is just general maintenance. I don't see how replacing rotten fences and gardening has anything to do with a new ride?

That space is too small for a ride and its queueline, and would intrude on that nice link between Gloomy Wood and Katanga Canyon.

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:20 am

I'll just add to that before anyone starts speculating silly things. That area is not covered in the GDO, therefore if a new ride, or even a new shop was coming, there would have been a planning application.
I suspect that this is exactly what it says on the tin, a clean up and repair of Duel's proper queue line.

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Theres a video of Duel's unused queue line.