UK theme parks from another point of view!

sku11dude123
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Virtual Queue

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:15 pm

T cut down on queue's and time wasted on waiting for 1 short ride. Virtual queue's can cut or remove that by allowing people to order the ride.

How it works:

1.) Person selects there ride from a menu on this tiny machine (Eg. Oblvion)

2.) Machines tells them they have queued up for oblvion

3.) Machines then shows the queued list and tells the person the name of the ride and the latest time they should be at the ride entrance for there ride.

People can make multiple ride queue's and get different times. But here's where a problem comes in, A ride will clash with the time, or the ride will drag on and be somewhere in the middle of the ride during the time of your next ride. Now, this is how to fix that issue....

You have the option to sort out your ride list, and if you put the ride more later, the more time you will have to wait for it and if you put the ride as your latest queuing, the earlier the time will be to get on the ride. The machine will then accurately estimate the time by adding up it's queue traffic and the time of the ride you have before the ride to get an accurate prediction.

If its a roller coaster. You will be put in a Time Group which is a group of people told with the same time for there ride.

Once you get to your ride, you hand in your virtual queue machine as a scanners scans it and deletes the queue time BEFORE you get on the ride.

AND, if you haven't got zip pockets or anything safe to hold the virtual queue machine in. You can hand it to one of the ride operators who will put it in a holder near the exit of the ride. The virtual queue machines will have a USB so it can display your name on a holder when you exit the ride.

You will need to Put in your name before you queue for any ride, And once you have your name in, you can keep the queue machines for your next visit., If you lose one you MUST get one for free in the information desk. And you will need to enter your name again.

Last edited by sku11dude123 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Virtual Queue

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 pm

I dont think it will really work in reality and it would be very expensive... however they could do something along the lines of pleasure beach with the virtual speedy passes where you reserve a time on the ride and wait at the exit at the time given then you walk straight on...

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm

Seems to complex, for me anyway.

JonoD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:08 pm

Isn't this very similar to the old fasttrack system that Alton scrapped long ago?

-Get a ticket with a timeslot on it
-Turn up at that timeslot
-ride at that timeslot?

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Like a schedule then... I like  :D

pjunior2
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Isn't this what Legoland has in-place at the moment with its Q-bot

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:25 pm

tis basically the old fast track system but very high tech! good idea but I would just prefer to queue regularly. dont really see too much bother with it. as long as you have some form of patter!

GoldWolf
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Seems very;
  • Technical
  • Expensive
  • Hard to manage
  • Waste of time
In my opinion, each person should press a button as they go through the ride entrance which is usually manned by a member of staff anyway. This will indicate how many people are in each specific queue line and they can then have all sorts of information to use and give out such as;
  • Queue times
  • How popular different rides are
  • How hard staff should be working
Just my opinion anyway. It wouldn't be too expensive or too hard to manage.

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:47 am

GoldWolf wrote:
Seems very;
  • Technical
  • Expensive
  • Hard to manage
  • Waste of time
In my opinion, each person should press a button as they go through the ride entrance which is usually manned by a member of staff anyway. This will indicate how many people are in each specific queue line and they can then have all sorts of information to use and give out such as;
  • Queue times
  • How popular different rides are
  • How hard staff should be working
Just my opinion anyway. It wouldn't be too expensive or too hard to manage.

This already happens in most queues in most themeparks, either via hand held clickers or turnstiles. We already have queue times, which assuming a ride doesn't have a long queue due to downtime then it's just a simple calculation of capacity, queue size and throughput which would give all sorts of statistics for a park.

Trisnie
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:18 am

This system wouldn't be able to cope with fast track and even  if could it would it would make the system redundant not a bad thing from out prospective but  from Melrins point of view it would be

sibic
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:21 pm

it an easy thing to do but will cost a fair bit of cash.  just use a wrist band with a rfid tag embedded, pre book from home you ride times and have booths/machines/apps to book more ride times.  Make some posh ones that can be sold also could hold info for all your photos and payments on park and the hotels and even parking. (Disney are rolling this out this year)

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:04 am

I kind of like the idea - people could do it from their phones. text the list of rides you wanna go on and a computer figures times out for each ride (times that at the least would allow you time to cross from the last ride to the next ride in a differnt area of the park) and it texts you back with these times.
But where that logicly seems to lead is to everyone doing it which would interupt the normal que a lot along with fast track unless they do away with it.
If a lot of people start doing it, it interrupts the normal que a lot. The only solution for that is to do away with the normal que, have everyone book an appointment for each ride so you would end up with a small crowd of people eating their sandwhiches about 15 mins before the ride (kind of like at the doctors) but this is gonna limit each guest/family to the average number or rides a guest/family can have on that given day - which would be a figure derived from how many people are in the park. That means you would probably then have to book to come to the park and you lose the benifits of being able to buy a ticket at the gate and also those sporadic benifits of normal queing. Everything would be averaged out.

If you book tickets you could then book rides on the ticket, or be given a standard package/list of rides, you wouldn't need to text.

If Alton Towers is lovely enough they can then they can LIMIT the number of the overall park guests to a low number, increasing the average number or rides per guests/groups/families.

So yeah, in summery you would have to book the whole day up with all your rides you wanna go on and how many times and that could give you a great amount of freedome to do lesser, none ride activities e.g. look at the gardens and go in the towers castle, eat your lunch,sun bathe - that could be cool. OR else, you allow just a few ride appointments, by text, where you pay for the privialidge of interrupting the normal que - essentially becoming very much like a fast track by appointment - but like I said that can only be done by a few people per train/ride cycle or else it really interupts the normal que.

I feel like I've given you all the answers here - they just seemed to come to me so I hope this helps with such a descision.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Rita 2005
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:56 pm

JonoD wrote:
Isn't this very similar to the old fasttrack system that Alton scrapped long ago?

-ride at that timeslot?
It was called Virtual Queue and was first used on Oblivion before rolling out to the other large rides. Originally there were no machines, the tickets were handed out by staff. The tickets were printed in advance with the time slot on them, IIRK there were about 200 per time slot. You normally only had about a 10/15 min wait when you turned up.
Last edited by Rita 2005 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaz1313
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:34 am

Rita 2005 wrote:
JonoD wrote:

-ride at that timeslot?
It was called Virtual Queue and was first used on Oblivion before rolling out to the other large rides. Originally there were no machines, the tickets were handed out by staff. The tickets were printed in advance with the time slot on them, IIRK there were about 200 per time slot. You normally only had about a 10/15 min wait when you turned up.

A bit like the Disney (possibly old system as I haven't been in years) Fastrack system aswell then. When we went, it worked really well.

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Too expensive, complex and I just wouldn't like it, i prefer the current way its done.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

TheDarkStar
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:18 pm

They did it in legoland. It failed.

JMR
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:31 pm

I dislike this idea because it ruins the whole novelty of queuing for themed rides.

Imagine oblivion, with no build-up intimidation from que videos and not enough time to notice all the themeing.

Then again, I suppose they could have a 'Theme House', for every ride. So basically, each ride has a theme house which you can decide to go in before you ride. Basically a building where themeing for the ride is housed, you can get to know the story behind the ride Etc.

But the problem with this would be... most people may not bother with going into the theme house and just ride. It would cost a lot to replace the ques and build the buildings to house the themeing.

It could possibly free up land space though, but a part from that, Virtual Queues do come with more cons than pros.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Apart from Oblivion, most other queues in Alton Towers are literally cattle pens:
- Nemesis doesn't tell you the story in it's queue the only bits you'd miss out would be the waterfall and watching the loop.
- Air has some fabulous views of the coaster track and the car park.
- Rita. Well enough said.  :lol:

If virtual queuing was implemented during bust periods, I'd imagine most guests would prefer to miss out on a back story as opposed to queuing for 90 minutes listening to a lopping video. I honestly can't see Merlin going for it because of the pure profit they must make in Fast Track sales.

JMR
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:14 pm

LeeJames wrote:
Apart from Oblivion, most other queues in Alton Towers are literally cattle pens:
- Nemesis doesn't tell you the story in it's queue the only bits you'd miss out would be the waterfall and watching the loop.
- Air has some fabulous views of the coaster track and the car park.
- Rita. Well enough said.  :lol:

If virtual queuing was implemented during bust periods, I'd imagine most guests would prefer to miss out on a back story as opposed to queuing for 90 minutes listening to a lopping video. I honestly can't see Merlin going for it because of the pure profit they must make in Fast Track sales.

You make a good point. But I'm pretty sure The Smiler will also have an interesting que line. I personally would rather wait 90 minutes to ride and have a great experience, rather than riding a 'fairground' ride with no themeing at all. IMO it's finding the balance though. It's not only the themeing, but the atmosphere, some of my best theme park moments were in ques  :lol:.

We just have to hope Alton will improve the themeing of quelines on Rita Etc.

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:32 pm

I think the idea suggested is pretty complicated and unfeasible even if it's intention is good. Notions of the queue being integral to the ride experience aside, waiting for lengthy periods for very short experiences when there is a heavy captial on your time spent in a theme park is quite an absurd human activity which, if there is a way around it which can work, we should probably look into.

I have a fairly utopian suggestion that I wondered what people thought. Say every ride has a normal queue directly onto the ride but that it has a maximum capacity of fifteen minutes. Once more guests wish to ride than can queue within fifteen minutes they are led to a pre-queue area. They have a token/wristband in  the cheese-counter, 'now serving number XXX' manner and wait in the pre-queue area until such time that they can enter the fifteen minute queue. This pre-queue area is pretty much a waiting room, which means sitting, themeing, a snack stand so encourage money spending, maybe even a toilet. They could be specifically designed for the space available, so long as screens displaying numbers were clearly visible from everywhere. You could not queue for multiple rides at once - you would be free to leave the queue but you would have to hand in your token and surrender your place in the queue. It would also prevent queue jumping entirely, as you would have to physically steal a token off another guest in order to jump ahead.

The physical standing queue needs to be of sufficient length such that through-put isn't compromised. If people are standing and alert, staff can batch them quickly, so there needs to be a reasonable amount of people there. Other than that, people can remain in their fair order, but are free to mill about in order to pass the time better than just standing there.

Would this even begin to work?
Formerly "Dagoo"