UK theme parks from another point of view!

stu1980
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

New Park Entrance

Tue May 28, 2013 5:32 pm

It is going to happen probs faster than we all think - most of us know the park plan to put a new entrance in but what are your thoughts - Should Towers Street stay and just be cleaned up. Should a whole new entrance be built or do we need two.

For me Towers Street needs just clearing up and bob on. I love the feeling of walking down there and if they did get rid it would rip the heart out the park for me but thats just my thoughts.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?
TT Member
TT Member

Re: New Park Entrance

Tue May 28, 2013 5:42 pm

I don't want a new one really, I love how you can see the towers a soon as you walk in! But if the new one looks amazing and grad then it will be ok, as long as they let tower street say as that and make it into something great! ;)
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 6:18 pm

The location of this new park entrance is ridiculous, the location of it is awkward and that area would get very congested when the park opens and closes. If it was exit only then this would be better as from Forbidden Valley its a bit of a walk to Towers Street and most people ride Nemesis and Air just before all rides close. 

A
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 6:27 pm

As much as the enthusiasts don't like it, I think the entrance will be relocated sooner or later because I can't see merlin continuing to pay for maintenance on the monorail. On the plus side, think of what could be done with towers street if the entrance was to be relocated, possibility for a whole new area :)
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P

Benjsh

Tue May 28, 2013 7:26 pm

A wrote:
As much as the enthusiasts don't like it, I think the entrance will be relocated sooner or later because I can't see merlin continuing to pay for maintenance on the monorail. On the plus side, think of what could be done with towers street if the entrance was to be relocated, possibility for a whole new area :)

That's actually a really good point.

They could finally get rid of the god awful monorail which must be costing them fortunes to run and maintain and like you say, Towers Street would cease to serve a purpose. With the rumours of the farm/storybook land/Adventure Land maybe getting a refurb soon then perhaps they will try to use the extra space from Towers street to expand and develop.

Downside.....Forbidden Valley is going to be much busier.

Sounds fairly plausible to me. It will save them a lot of money and agrro for the future with no monorail to maintain and give them extra space to expand the park. It's win win.
Last edited by Benjsh on Tue May 28, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Benjsh wrote:
A wrote:

That's actually a really good point.

They could finally get rid of the god awful monorail which must be costing them fortunes to run and maintain and like you say, Towers Street would cease to serve a purpose. With the rumours of the farm/storybook land/Adventure Land maybe getting a refurb soon then perhaps they will try to use the extra space from Towers street to expand and develop.

Downside.....Forbidden Valley is going to be much busier.

Sounds fairly plausible to me. It will save them a lot of money and agrro for the future with no monorail to maintain and give them extra space to expand the park.

Another downside, not sure how well that would go down with the families as the distance from forbidden valley to all the kids/family attractions is quite considerable (pretty much the other end of the park), especially on small feet. Therefore I think it would be reasonable to think that something along the lines of a small railway would be installed, linking the more family orientated area around towers street to the new entrance. This could be themed as a new attraction, such as 'the storybook land railway'. Something like the railway at oakwood would shift families nicely I reckon. And let's face it, installing a small railway would probably be cheaper than maintaining the monorail in the long term :)

Benjsh

Tue May 28, 2013 7:50 pm

I honestly don't see the distance thing even coming into it. Sure you're right and it is a long way but it will come down to brass tax and nothing else. Space is also always of a premium at a theme Park, especially one like AT. And the monorial is also a drain on funds and resources. I'm sure having the entrance right next to the hotels will also have it's benefits.

Chance to get some space for future developments and save themselves fortunes in the long run at the same time? Too good an opportunity to miss out on surely.

And maybe the money saved can be used to maintain the skyride and possibly even expand it over to The new kiddy area.

I think it's looking likely.

A
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Benjsh wrote:
I honestly don't see the distance thing even coming into it. Sure you're right and it is a long way but it will come down to brass tax and nothing else. Space is also always of a premium at a theme Park, especially one like AT. And the monorial is also a drain on funds and resources. I'm sure having the entrance right next to the hotels will also have it's benefits.

Chance to get some space for future developments and save themselves fortunes in the long run at the same time? Too good an opportunity to miss out on surely.

And maybe the money saved can be used to maintain the skyride and possibly even expand it over to The new kiddy area.

I think it's looking likely.

Though to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if merlin decided to tear down the sky ride, being the skinflints that they are

Benjsh

Tue May 28, 2013 8:02 pm

I know what you're sayin about Merlin.....but the Sky Ride won't be going. The layout of the park simply wouldn't allow it.

Hasn't it just been given a MAJOR face lift anyway?

A
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 8:05 pm

Benjsh wrote:
I know what you're sayin about Merlin.....but the Sky Ride won't be going. The layout of the park simply wouldn't allow it.

Hasn't it just been given a MAJOR face lift anyway?

A couple of years ago,yes. But to be honest, an entrance relocation is seeming ever more likely because it would probably save merlin money (which is the only thing merlin cares about)

SuperWill
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 8:25 pm

I like the current entrance at the moment so no just no! The current entrance is fine and we don't need a new one! :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Gonna invent a portal from the car park to tower street  ;)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

A
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 pm

SuperWill wrote:
I like the current entrance at the moment so no just no! The current entrance is fine and we don't need a new one! :)

Like I said, unpopular but likely

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Long winded, very expensive and doubtful would ever happen but i'd always thought it would be good to place a smaller entrance where Adventureland is placed. The public could enter through the gates behind the ice-tent & cars would drive round the back of SBL and join the existing road to car parks. You could have spaces at the entrances quick drop off. Entering the park here you would still get the views of the towers & laws (from side angle). You could extend the monorail (after upgrading the trains).

This leaves TS open for development as a new area.

If you wanted to push the boat out you could put a monorail station in KC & FV meaning this now operates as an internal mass transport system... At the end, in the car park, you could put a new station centered around an entertainment centre & "portal style 2nd entrance". The entertainment centre could serve as out of hours entertainment & food for hotel guests & general public wanting to stretch their day out

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

arsenalfan-1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Considering that most of the main areas now being full, I can imagine - like ClayJ said - that the entrance may move and Towers Street will be redeveloped for... more rides!  ;) However, it would be a shame to see Towers Street go because t feels almost iconic.
Thanks Lewis97

brick60000
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 10:33 pm

clayj wrote:
Long winded, very expensive and doubtful would ever happen but i'd always thought it would be good to place a smaller entrance where Adventureland is placed. The public could enter through the gates behind the ice-tent & cars would drive round the back of SBL and join the existing road to car parks. You could have spaces at the entrances quick drop off. Entering the park here you would still get the views of the towers & laws (from side angle). You could extend the monorail (after upgrading the trains).

This leaves TS open for development as a new area.

If you wanted to push the boat out you could put a monorail station in KC & FV meaning this now operates as an internal mass transport system... At the end, in the car park, you could put a new station centered around an entertainment centre & "portal style 2nd entrance". The entertainment centre could serve as out of hours entertainment & food for hotel guests & general public wanting to stretch their day out

I like this idea, but I would miss Towers Street, as for me it has a magical feel to it, and it is nice to walk in and see the towers, as others have said.  Towers Street has become a major part of the Towers, as it is home to the family restaurant (although I feel they ruined that when they closed it at lunch time a few years ago), the merchandise store, the coffee shop and the various other stores there.

For me, it would destroy a key part of the Towers if they were to remove this area and create a new entrance.
Last edited by brick60000 on Tue May 28, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 11:07 pm

I know it was planned to go next to Duel, but I think that'd ruin the whole experience of wandering down the entrance towards the Towers.
I mean, can you imagine entering Disney by Thunder Mountain?

Also, I don't think that any major development will come where Towers Street is now due to the proximity and exposure to the main road, and the Ropers..

Surely it'd be cheaper to knock the monorail down and replace it with a new, more reliable and cost effective one than to build a new entrance.  Even with the spare change, they could extend Towers Street and give it a major refurb to bring it inline with say Disney standards.

I'd move the monorail station to the Coach Park and extend Towers Street up to the existing monorail station and then round the corner a little bit.  Maybe even pull Towers Street a bit closer together by extending the buildings and make the area seem more dense.

the smiler :-)
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 9:24 am

tallicay2k wrote:
Gonna invent a portal from the car park to tower street  ;)

like your thinking  :)
:D

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 3:44 pm

I would only like a new entrance if they think about opening a mini city walk complex with a bowling alley,a pub/restaurant,big shop,annual pass shop and a few others like a sweet/choc shop.

Astro61201
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 29, 2013 5:32 pm

If they are doing a Entertainment complex then I would like to see a second entrance with yet another a monorail station there, but after new monorail, too replace the old one
cant wait!, cant wait!, cant wait! :uk: