UK theme parks from another point of view!

Should the thunder looper return

Defiantly!
20 (21%)
Yes
12 (12%)
Maybe
16 (16%)
No
20 (21%)
Defiantly not
29 (30%)

Total votes: 97

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: Should the thunder looper return?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Why would it when there's Rita in the park.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:51 pm

I'll get on the phone to Hop Hari and ask if we can have it back?
If you go down to the woods today

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:26 am

Might have to dig a long way down. ...

djedwardsmith
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:56 am

DEFINITELY.

Definitely not.
Last edited by djedwardsmith on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

A
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:31 am

Few problems;

- Thunder looper was removed due to height restrictions, so you would have to pay a lot to dig for a ride that only nerds want to go on.
-Why would people bother queueing to go round a single loop twice when nemesis is next door?
-You would have to remove air, the blade and ripsaw.
-It looks rubbish.
-Anyone who wants it back is, quite frankly a bit mad. Not even camelot would have sunk as low as to buy that in 2013 (if it had survived) this ride is something of the 80's/early 90's.
-Alton is above Schwarzkopfs.
-Let's face it, only nerds want a go.

I'm actually quite sad to see that some people actually want it back, this ride was good in it's day but we are in 2013 and why would people want to go on this when we have nemesis, air, oblivion, spinball, the smiler, thirteen and even Rita for that matter!

So no, definitely not.
Last edited by A on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:34 am

maybe, have it somewhere thats NOT FV because, as A said, they would have to remove air and blade, can't think where else but you know, wouldn't mind having it there

cookiee_munster
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Martin
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Laughing my head off at the above video post
That has truely made my day at work worth turning in for
Love it love it love it
Cant stop laughing at her
BOW TIES ARE COOL!

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:59 pm

No
you got to have new things
Imagine that ghosts that bring bad luck want to settle on any retro stuff they can, so you have to create new things so they can't. Unless of course what you want to bring back falls into the category of "classic".
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:06 pm

if we were to see it to return I would hope for a newer model such as a remake.
Image credit to Lewis97

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:31 am

As I said in another topic a while back now what I would really like to see is something along the lines of revolution at BPB but being a Norwegian loop :D so basically you do a dive loop followed immediately by an Immelmann :D

And then you are launched back the other way.... With a a little bit of digging it could sit nicely I'm blades hole :)

I reckon this could be a great addition to the park and a great step up coaster to the likes of Nemesis and Oblivion but with a bit more thrill than Th13teen :)

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

cookiee_munster
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:37 am

personally i don't know why anyone would want it back? that thing was a total eyesore. rides nowadays are far more interesting than what that thing could do.

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm lucky enough to have ridden Thunderlooper but I really don't understand the misty-eyed love it has among fans.

It was one loop. That was it. In the years since the ride has left UK enthusiasts have had access to an increasing amount of new and much more inventive coasters. We are blessed with some amazing and unique ride experiences in Merlin parks alone, yet you want to go back to a stop-gap coaster that served its purpose and left.

Perhaps these same enthusiasts would be happy to have their Xbox 360s taken away and replaced with Sega Master Systems?

glen191
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:13 pm

If your going to have another launch type coaster at least lets have a top fuel dragster type of ride maybe down in lower part of the park to try and beat the height issues.

cookiee_munster
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 pm

smeg_head wrote:
I'm lucky enough to have ridden Thunderlooper but I really don't understand the misty-eyed love it has among fans.

It was one loop. That was it. In the years since the ride has left UK enthusiasts have had access to an increasing amount of new and much more inventive coasters. We are blessed with some amazing and unique ride experiences in Merlin parks alone, yet you want to go back to a stop-gap coaster that served its purpose and left.

Perhaps these same enthusiasts would be happy to have their Xbox 360s taken away and replaced with Sega Master Systems?

i think its a new age of enthusiasts looking at past pictures/parks maps etc and just thinking "how cool" whereas the thunderlooper was pretty much the total opposite. like you say, it had one loop. it went up and down. far more interesting attractions have been created since...

Fragga
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Definitely not, I remember riding this back when I was very young on my first ever trip to the towers, I don't remember thinking it was anything amazing then and I definitely don't think my opinion will of changed much in the last 20 years or so since I rid it.

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:00 pm

no no no. Quite a bad idea. It is a very boring ride if you compare it to ANYTHING in the park. Would say submission and enterprise would give you the same thrills and they are 2 rides that we would rather not have anymore. So why bring back the old when you can make something 10x better today.

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:18 pm

I would love to see it return but, its not going to happen.

I would like to see a modern lap bar-looping coaster at AT. Hint, hint blue fire!