UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 2598
Joined: December 2010
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
Contact:

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:24 am

I wouldn't want Nemesis to go backwards as part of its 21st birthday. She is an amazing ride as she is, and i don't think it would be suitable for Merlin to make it go backwards. But i guess we can only speculate at this time.
 
User avatar
Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posts: 2289
Joined: June 2009
Location: Stockport

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:26 pm

There's no need for any of the rows on Nemesis to go backwards. She is consistently around the top 10 steel coasters on the planet, and is still as popular as she's ever been (she just doesn't get a massive queue as she's a throughput machine)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Jack
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: December 2012
Location: Solihull

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:32 pm

backwards is way over hyped and is infinitely better forward :P
Image
 
User avatar
RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 429
Joined: May 2013

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:09 pm

I agree it should never be made backwards but that would be good to experience if they done it just for the summer season or something :)
 
User avatar
Jack
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: December 2012
Location: Solihull

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Image

May i remind people of how the last part time backwards coaster ended? :P
Image
 
User avatar
SmilerLover
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 63
Joined: June 2014
Location: Ministry of Joy HQ

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am

I don't think that they will make nemesis go backwards. This is because nemesis a old rollercoaster, and was never designed to go backwards. This would mean that to modify nemesis to go backwards they would have to spend nearly as much money on it as making a whole new rollercoaster. Because of this I think a 1 inversion baby nemesis in the forbidden valley is much more likely.
 
dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 399
Joined: October 2012
Location: Here

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:00 am

jackandylan123 wrote:
Image

May i remind people of how the last part time backwards coaster ended? :P



Colossus is only closing because it is getting a makeover from RMC.
I think it is perfectly plausable that the might turn Nemesis backwards for her birthday. I would love to try it out backwards. B&M have recently done it with some of their other rides, the batman rides, hollywood dream, The Swarm, so we know it is possible. Just because nemesis wasn't designed to ride backwards doesn't mean it wouldn't be good backwards. Obviously you lose a bit of the thrill by missing out on the near miss elements, but not being able to see where you are going will probably make up for that.

It also gives Alton a gimmick to market without the expense of a new ride. It will certainly get a lot of people to the park to ride it backwards, especially if it is just for 1 season.
 
User avatar
Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posts: 2289
Joined: June 2009
Location: Stockport

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:55 pm

SmilerLover wrote:
I don't think that they will make nemesis go backwards. This is because nemesis a old rollercoaster, and was never designed to go backwards. This would mean that to modify nemesis to go backwards they would have to spend nearly as much money on it as making a whole new rollercoaster. Because of this I think a 1 inversion baby nemesis in the forbidden valley is much more likely.


A "one inversion baby Nemesis" won't happen. We would have seen planning documents for it and they would have started construction by now.
Image
Image
 
Alex
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 972
Joined: August 2012
Location: Manchester

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:00 pm

Realistically the only thing I imagine we will see is the station being refurbished, I can't see them painting the track as its colour now fits the theme better than a fresh white track.
Image
 
User avatar
Hitch
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 101
Joined: November 2012
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Alex wrote:
Realistically the only thing I imagine we will see is the station being refurbished, I can't see them painting the track as its colour now fits the theme better than a fresh white track.


I disagree, the theme is they have used steel to hold down the monster, not rusty steel, steel. The only dirt that should really be on the track is the blood which is painted on.

The excuse "it doesn't need painting because it fits the theme better rusty" is used WAY to often in my opinion, with the weather we get in the UK towers coasters should never go a year without being cleaned, and should be repainted atleast once every 10 years.
 
User avatar
Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2499
Joined: February 2013
Location: Essex

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:32 pm

I'm on Alex's side for this one. Nemesis track looks amazing how it is and really compliments the theme. It makes it look like the nemesis creature has been locked away for along time, and seeing the trains go round it and seeing the rusty coloured track, it would make people assume the Nemesis monster is angry and is constantly trying to escape, hence the discoloured track.
 
User avatar
SmilerLover
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 63
Joined: June 2014
Location: Ministry of Joy HQ

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm on Alex's side for this one. Nemesis track looks amazing how it is and really compliments the theme. It makes it look like the nemesis creature has been locked away for along time, and seeing the trains go round it and seeing the rusty coloured track, it would make people assume the Nemesis monster is angry and is constantly trying to escape, hence the discoloured track.
This is true. I never saw nemesis when they painted most recently, I have only seen it rusty. When I saw it (until now) I always assumed it was supposed to be rusty, as it goes with the theme very well.
Image
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
 
Sr88
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 308
Joined: May 2014

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:53 pm

SmilerLover wrote:
I'm on Alex's side for this one. Nemesis track looks amazing how it is and really compliments the theme. It makes it look like the nemesis creature has been locked away for along time, and seeing the trains go round it and seeing the rusty coloured track, it would make people assume the Nemesis monster is angry and is constantly trying to escape, hence the discoloured track.
This is true. I never saw nemesis when they painted most recently, I have only seen it rusty. When I saw it (until now) I always assumed it was supposed to be rusty, as it goes with the theme very well.

Same here – until I became a big roller coaster fan (a few years ago).
 
stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 944
Joined: January 2014

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:55 pm

They shouldn't paint it as if it were actually restraining a monster, they wouldn't repaint it. I would like to see work on the interior of the station done.
 
User avatar
Jack
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: December 2012
Location: Solihull

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:26 pm

dazza4783 wrote:
jackandylan123 wrote:
May i remind people of how the last part time backwards coaster ended? :P



Colossus is only closing because it is getting a makeover from RMC.
I think it is perfectly plausable that the might turn Nemesis backwards for her birthday. I would love to try it out backwards. B&M have recently done it with some of their other rides, the batman rides, hollywood dream, The Swarm, so we know it is possible. Just because nemesis wasn't designed to ride backwards doesn't mean it wouldn't be good backwards. Obviously you lose a bit of the thrill by missing out on the near miss elements, but not being able to see where you are going will probably make up for that.

It also gives Alton a gimmick to market without the expense of a new ride. It will certainly get a lot of people to the park to ride it backwards, especially if it is just for 1 season.


t'was a joke, nothing serious :)

EDIT:

Hitch wrote:
Alex wrote:
Realistically the only thing I imagine we will see is the station being refurbished, I can't see them painting the track as its colour now fits the theme better than a fresh white track.


I disagree, the theme is they have used steel to hold down the monster, not rusty steel, steel. The only dirt that should really be on the track is the blood which is painted on.

The excuse "it doesn't need painting because it fits the theme better rusty" is used WAY to often in my opinion, with the weather we get in the UK towers coasters should never go a year without being cleaned, and should be repainted atleast once every 10 years.


I understand what you mean about the excuse about it fitting the theme is generally used a lot, but in the situation of Nemesis, it seems realistic (yeah, I said realistic about a ride that is themed to an alien monster stuck in the ground, PROBLEM? ;)) to have the track dirty and that, it just seems to work on Nemesis. A ride that really needs cleaning up is Colossus at Thorpe, as that really is a case of the track not fitting the theme ;)
Image
 
User avatar
TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 373
Joined: March 2013
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:38 pm

awesome ride, needs no modification...
 
User avatar
SmilerLover
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 63
Joined: June 2014
Location: Ministry of Joy HQ

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:31 pm

awesome ride, needs no modification...
It doesn't need one but it would still be good to have one (especially if it means going backwards :yes: )
Image
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
 
User avatar
Jack
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: December 2012
Location: Solihull

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:51 pm

I will not be happy if it gets backwards, i've said before, it does not feel nearly as good as forward.
Image
 
User avatar
Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2499
Joined: February 2013
Location: Essex

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:21 am

I would have thought that any amendments to the ride would have been discussed with John himself, especially if these changes will change the appearance of the ride. Now as that's like John's signature coaster I don't think he would approve of many changes other than a station repaint and a redo of the voice overs in the station. I could see them maybe adding some new effects to the ride such as water squirting up at your feet around the helix and mist added to the tunnel after the loop.

However I've noticed a lot of people want to enclose the brake run. I wouldn't mind this if they were going to theme it etc; but can't see John approving of it.
 
Sr88
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 308
Joined: May 2014

Re: Nemesis 21st Birthday?

Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:03 am

DannyG wrote:
I would have thought that any amendments to the ride would have been discussed with John himself, especially if these changes will change the appearance of the ride. Now as that's like John's signature coaster I don't think he would approve of many changes other than a station repaint and a redo of the voice overs in the station. I could see them maybe adding some new effects to the ride such as water squirting up at your feet around the helix and mist added to the tunnel after the loop.

However I've noticed a lot of people want to enclose the brake run. I wouldn't mind this if they were going to theme it etc; but can't see John approving of it.

While it would be nice to discuss it with John, unless I am mistaken, I doubt they would have to, given that Merlin own it and can really do whatever they want with it.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests