UK theme parks from another point of view!

CGM
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton Towers-A Resort?

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:12 pm

Do you think that Alton Towers is worthy of the Title resort when it has only 2 hotels and arguably only 1 park?

Do you think that this is the correct path for Alton Towers to take?

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:19 pm

I do, a place where UK's best theme park is, with 2 themed hotels and a water park. Im sure its classed as a resort! (well if they ever change that ancient sign at the main gates!)

:)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

plasticboy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:30 pm

I believe the AT is worthy of the resort title. Ok its a small resort as you said, but it has all the makings of a resort.
This path can only be good for AT, i mean the resort will just expand and become a better resort. And the title 'resort' sounds well good. 8)

doom+sons1988
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:40 pm

A Resort is place where you can stay overnight (so Thorpe isn't obviously) but american resorts like Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando have more than one park. Something Alton is unlikely to do unless they obtain more land and the surrounding residents all disappear mysteriously.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"

Anonymous

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:46 pm

Alton is a resort, but it is way to expensive to stay in the hotels, listen to this for 2 rooms, for 2 nights and 4 people and 2 days enrty into park it cost £1140. That is way to much it should be alot cheaper to attract more people.

MikeB
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:23 pm

It is a resort (a pricey one at that) as its possible to have a couple of days there and stay overnight. It would be quite possible to go to the park one day, do cariba creek the next and then have a final day on park before going home.
I'm sure if there was not the current local issues then AT might try and expand and make a bigger resort. This might include a cinema/restaurants/nightclub or even a golf course!
It would be interesting to see if one day AT do try and expand but i cannot see it happening for a good few years yet.

doom+sons1988
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:04 am

I also think you couldn't really stay their for a week. I thought staying in Splash Landings for a weekend was too much, I rode everything i wanted to go on in the first day, I actually just spent the second day going on Duel ten times and sitting outside Coffee corner drinking coffee and eating a bag of ten doughnuts. As you can tell I was bored that half term. I went to Cariba Creek that second morning but my family went off back to the park so I headed off with them, soon disappearing.

Alton Towers should add more to make it a more longer term resort ,if you get what I mean.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"

fanm
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:12 pm

AT is definately a resort. Port Adventura has 1 park, 1 waterpark and 2 Hotels, and they are classed as a resort. Personally I wouldn't stay any longer then 2 nights, but alton is, on European terms, a holiday resort. Alton will probably expand. I also reckon the old sign will stay until the new acess road is built.
Argh! REVISION

CGM
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:57 pm

Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando have more than one park. Something Alton is unlikely to do

Do you think that Cariba Creek should be classed as a park?

The matter is quite controvertial

Lauzi
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:49 pm

Last edited by Lauzi on Tue May 17, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:54 pm

Yeah i agree, it is classed as a resort, i mean what more do you want as sparkle and shine said 2 Hotels 1Waterpark 1 Theme Park 1 Spa.

doom+sons1988
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:23 pm

"CGM" wrote:
Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando have more than one park. Something Alton is unlikely to do

Do you think that Cariba Creek should be classed as a park?

The matter is quite controvertial

Kind of CGM but more like Universal's Citywalk or DLP's Village, it doesen't have rides but classed as a seperate part.

But to be honest compared to Disneyland Resort Paris it's as much as a resort than Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"

SW-Dave
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:43 pm

Look it it the other way, If a hotel built an extra hotel, a water park, and an international theme park on its grounds, youd call that a resort.

Soph
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:52 pm

I think it could, People say its too small, and only has 1 park, but, you have to remember its the quality of the rides, not how many there is, and the rides at AT are fantastic, [in my opinion]

themeparkdude
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:21 pm

Well on a advertising board at TP, Alton Towers was advertised as this:

THE ALTON TOWERS RESORT

And then had various pictures saying:

Theme Park, Water Park, Resturants, Hotels, Night lIfe, Thrill, Family, and some more.
Visit www.thorpeparkinsider.co.uk
We have a froum, great ride veveiws, and special features which you can not find anywhere else!
www.tussaudszone.com
We have STEALTH TESTING COVERAGE!

Anonymous

Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:24 pm

Don't forget the conference facilities which make it appeal to businesses.

What started off as a wicker basket selling 'lesuire pack' in the 80's has grown into a thriving theme park and now into a resort. We have Tussuads to thank for this of course as they have brought a real sense of quality and enjoyment to the park.

Falcon... :)

doom+sons1988
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:54 pm

I think Alton Towers should inculde a shopping district. Then I'll call it a resort.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"

Anonymous

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:56 pm

I think so too. Just the monorail station near the hotels. A street with proper restaurants, bars, shops and the like. It would bring in some more pounds from day guests and would give hotel guests more choice.

How about calling it 'Towers Village'

Falcon... :)

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers-A Resort?

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Wow, you do know this topic was made 6 years ago. Can't believe I'm the 2nd post in it! I have been here far too long! :lol:
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers-A Resort?

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Yes, I think it's very worthy of it's resort title:

-2 Resort Hotels
-World-Class Themepark
-Tropical Waterpark
-Extraordinary Golf
-Spa
-Conference Centre

Chessington WOA is now named as a resort yet I don't think that is worthy of the title, It has one small park and one hotel which is not entirly there own. That is not a resort.