UK theme parks from another point of view!

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Heritage

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:19 pm

Surprised that there isn't already a topic for this! (Unless it somehow didn't get spotted).

There's no doubt that The Towers Ruins, Gardens and Estate is incredibly important to Alton Towers, but it is often overlooked by many guests and sometimes even the community. The Estate may be beyond it's prime but there's still many stories and interesting little bits to explore. And with the recent application for the restoration of the Banqueting Hall's signature window, what better time to start the discussion.

There's so much to see and it's more than certainly worth your time when you're at the Resort! Happy discussing.

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Heritage

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:04 pm

My favourite part of the resort is the heritage to be honest, particularly now that I'm old and grumpy to actually go on the rides. I love going for a wander around the Towers and the gardens, there's so much to see!

For those interested in Towers heritage, the various iterations of Michael J Fisher's books are excellent resources.

There are plenty of random things that I can contribute to this topic, so I will endeavour to do so in the near future.

DerpyQuark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:26 pm

I really like the Towers and the Gardens. They are historic and without them, the theme park would have never been built!
The Gardens are a great place to relax during a busy day, too.
Nemmy and Icon are overrated.

“What’s an inversion Shannon?” -Mango18

NemeJaney
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:02 pm

What's everyone's favourite bit of the gardens?

It's a tough one for me but I particularly like the hidden chambers underneath the conservatories where they used to use fire to heat the pool thing above(at least that's what I've been told they were for) :D

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:46 am

Believe the bit you're on about is the Ice House? Haven't been in there yet- first time there was some weird smoke coming out from it so we'd thought we'd leave whoever was there to their own buisness; went a few weeks back to see it boarded up!

My Favourite bit? Probably the little bank in front of the Conservatory. The view across the valley with the millions of colours is breathtaking.

Walking through it is pure joy too.

And it's even more gorgeous in Autumn.

Mr_Gibson
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 02, 2019 3:53 pm

My favourite part of the gardens has to be the pagoda fountain. I haven’t seen it on for a while but I’ve always been impressed with the huge plume of water and how enclosed and special the area feels.