UK theme parks from another point of view!

LoopinLiam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Abandoned

Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:52 am

Welcome to my newly-created topic - Abandoned. Ever wondered why the abandoned toilet block is there? Or why part of the Nemesis queue isn’t used? Well, here is the place to post about that. If you’ve been to some of the abandoned places, why not share what it was like? You could post videos or pictures of the abandoned area, or just chat. 

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Abandoned

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Went to the abandoned toilet once. It was very abandoned and smashed up. As an abandoned toilet block should be.

Part of me thinks that the Nemesis extension queue never gets used because the queue is never long enough to warrant opening it... Just a wild guess.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1828!
Ride count 2020: 55!
Cred count: 97!

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:45 am

The original queue for Nemesis was absolutely enormous, way larger than is necessary these days to cater for it's queues. There used to be another extension which more recently formed part of the queue line for Nemesis Sub Terra and prior to that Dynamo. The part that ran around the vertical loop pit I believe has been disused since the construction of Air, perhaps due to the proximity of the ride?

The abandoned toilets obviously come from an era when the gardens were a bigger part of the average visitors day to the park, there were several walks advertised and also a number of places to get refreshments so it would only be logical for there to be toilet facilities. I would make the assumption that demolishing the toilet block was seen as an unnecessary waste of money when they could simply just leave it disused, it is of course in an area that most visitors to Alton Towers would never visit. Generally the only people who do come across it are deliberately looking for it or are those who like to have a bit of an adventure.

LoopinLiam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:09 am

I wonder if anyone has been to the bear cave at Alton Towers. No one ever talks about it, but it was quite an important part of the entertainment offerings during the 1800s. I found a website that said this about it:

“Beneath Prospect Tower on the Forbidden Valley side of the Gardens you’ll find a small, dark, slightly damp cave, open on two sides. This small cubby was once home to a live black bear, who would entertain visitors throughout the 1850s. Following his death he was stuffed and moved to the Towers themselves. His current fate is unknown.”

Last edited by DeadJack5 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Photo Link

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:30 am

Never knew that. How fascinating and cruel!

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:50 am

Abandoned toilets?

I've walked through the gardens plenty of times and never found the toilets.. will definitely need to try and find it this season coming!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Harry347
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:59 am

I've wondered about that little cave for ages! How interesting!

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:27 pm

The Bear Pit is really fascinating, well worth a look if you get the time and don't mind getting a little muddy. Unfortunately I've only got the one image of it (I know what I'll be doing once the park reopens!)

LoopinLiam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:32 pm

Has anyone got the directions to the abandoned toilet block? And if possible, provide pictures for every step of the way? Thank you!

Dachshund
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:56 pm

LoopinLiam wrote:
Has anyone got the directions to the abandoned toilet block? And if possible, provide pictures for every step of the way? Thank you!

I went a few years back, I remember it being pretty easy to find. It's on a bank just on the far side of the Swiss Cottage.