UK theme parks from another point of view!

Wes
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

What could have been ...

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:51 pm

I feel this desvers its own topic!

:cry:

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:13 pm

Sad Times!

The Discovery cove thing looks immense!

Set in its own building like Cariba, but with actual fish and more slides by the looks of it etc...

I think this would of been a quality investment for Alton, but alas we have a path instead....

Look at the theming, it looks awesome!

They could make an entire new small park with indoor and outdoor water, mechanical, video and walkthrough attractions!

Aquariams, swimming tanks, swimming pools, dolphins, shows....

Sea world basically

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:45 pm

I've got to admit that this is what the hotel needs.

Something like that. Then a bowling alley, tennis courts, indoor sports, cinema

Then you'd have something like centre parcs!

Dr Pop Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:54 pm

Indeed, some fantastic plans that I really did enjoy looking at, there were quite a few others but I did not have much memory left on my camera, so I just picked out the better plans, such as Project Dolphin.

A few of the other plans that were shelved included "Extraordinary Gardens" and "Alton Towers Cluedo", Extraordinary Gardens was an idea that would of happened this year, it was something that would of transformed the gardens into a rather weird place, with a vast amount of odd things around the gardens such as sofas hanging from tress and various weird buildings and other features, to make the gardens a lot more "extraordinary", so to speak.

As for Alton Towers Cluedo, I did not really pay much attention to that, not sure whether it was a game they was going to sell or an actual interactive life size game of Cluedo for guests to play, did not really grab my attention to be honest.

I really do hope that at some point down the line, those Project Dolphin plans are strongly re-considered as it just looked out of this world, would of really put the Alton Towers resort on the map and would of been pretty iconic for the European Theme Park industry.

It's nice to hope...:)

Lauzi
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:13 am

Urgh - makes you a bit depressed, doesn't it? :(

Some fantastic plans there, stuff that the hotels etc. would benefit greatly from.

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:16 am

I can't help but think letting kids swim with tropical fish would be a bad idea....

I don't think they'd last too long....

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:52 am

Some advice....

Its called Discovery Cove, ive been, swam with fish, dolphins etc.

Its "INCREDIBLE" its a great idea for Alton, and did you see that theming! God one can only dream! Id love to see something like that, but i think roads need improving first.

It all depends on which side of the hotels it would go......?

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:01 am

I went to Egypt at Easter with my family and my two brothers one 10, and the other 8.

At the beach was tropical reef's etc. and billions of fish.

They both said (and me included) that it was their best experience of a lifetime.

I really think that Alton need to have more stuff at the hotels to go on. For £211 for a family room I really do think you need morre stuff to do for free for your money.

DiogoJ42

Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:40 am

I still think they need to sort the park out before they worry about more hotels. More ppl won't come to stay untill there is more to do.

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:11 pm

I cant see it being free, more like bloody expensive!

But now AT has been sold,does this mean Merlins expertise,ideas and funding will not be used? And power is back in the hands of the park....

oldgitBEN

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:22 pm

did the 'Temple' interactive play area become the dungheap a half arsed council park with an interactive floor for 2 meters.

Discovery Cove sorry Project Dolphin looked bloody brilliant and would really have made a resort feel, but like it says in the report the resort isnt ready at the moment and I hope its something that does finally come to light. You'd get more families going for an overnight stay in the hotels, playing golf and using cariba there would be enough interest to not have to use the park.

As for fear factor would it have been licensed from the show or just a blatant rip off? I couldnt see it working though, its not exactly family friendly and I wouldnt have any interest in the slightest tbh.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:25 pm

"Dr Pop Rocket" wrote:
Extraordinary Gardens was an idea that would of happened this year, it was something that would of transformed the gardens into a rather weird place, with a vast amount of odd things around the gardens such as sofas hanging from tress and various weird buildings and other features, to make the gardens a lot more "extraordinary", so to speak.

Wow. I would love for that to happen. If it was like the mad hatters tea party, with table and chairs a tea sets, balloons, maybe some actors? Running around with streamers etc.

Reminds me a little of the Skins episode where they visit cassie -

Even some Balloons scatterd every where makes it looks different!

Would love to see that idea come together. Could be easily done if they got in a modern artist.

leejay
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:40 pm

Although project Dolphin is a good idea, I have a feeling if it had been done that people would scream “Alton Towers are just after money again” as they would charge a heck of a lot so they could generate the feeling that guests feel special. They said that they would limited the amounts of guests in their little book on Dr. Pop Rockets very extensive pictography of the behind the scenes tour.

Just a thought I suppose.

Squiggles
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:25 pm

If Extraordinary Gardens is the thing I think it is then it was a horrible horrible idea which would have made the gardens look even worse then they do already... mainly by highlighting the lack of maintenace which the Gardens have recieved over the last 10 years.

The Gardens seriously do not currently need more things added to them, they just need what is there maintaining. Doing what Alton were considering risked not only wasting money (as it is pretty impossible to make people go into the Gardens if they simply don't want to) but also alienating the very people who actually would want to go and see the Gardens for their Victorian splender.
Edwardo..... move me!

Quickey
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:43 pm

I agree that the extraordinary gardens wouldn’t have been a good idea.

Project dolphin would be ace. Really would put Alton towers on the map. I can remember when we first hared about project dolphin, and we were all gassing what it was.

I like the fear factor live idea though. We need more shows, although I would quite like to see a brainiac live!

leejay
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:57 pm

Brainiac live is better. Fear factor just seems tacky and doesn't fit in with the extraordinary theme they are going for. With Brianiac you get bang, shock, fun and cheers all in the one show, with fear factor you just get cringing. Brianiac would also fit in with the whole idea that Alton Towers is physics live! Didn’t Alton Towers sponsor Brainiac earlier this year anyway?

DiogoJ42

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:31 pm

yeah, they had stupid questions like 'what hits the ground first: a mellon [dropped from the top of the towers] or Oblivion?'

Of course, it depends how you look at it: are they the same hight? and if you want to get really picky, Oblivion doesn't actually hit the ground! :lol:

'What's faster: a chip, or rita?'
:roll: No comment.

The only one that made any sense was
'what's wetter: a wet dog or the tipping bucket?'

Great show. Mind you, it's not the same without the hamster.

Big Dave

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:42 pm

I think some of the ideas here are great. I dont want to start a new debate in this topic has its like a few months old, but something like this is needed and with rumours of a new ents complex, this kinda theming and more attractions like those listed here would be great.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:49 pm

I don't see what all the hype with those images is at all? It looks ok initially but when you actually look at them properly there's little of any substance, and that temple stuff looks repulsively tacky.

I think any kind of Sea Life aquarium thing would not work also as it's hugely maintainance intensive (both labour and financially). The only interesting thing that remains is the Eden Project-like skin.
I wouldn't be supportive of those plans as they are - especially if they consider this their 'quantum leap'.

Big Dave

Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:23 pm

I like the idea of having a well themed complex. Ok some ideas are a big naff but the idea of having various indoor attractions, covered areas, shopping complexes and various interactive shows like an aquarium would be great. Alton Towers have had one of these in the past and I know expectations are higher now, but we dont need to think whales and dolphins. We should think more along the lines of small unique fish and possibly a few sharks. These are not too hard to look after and are common in UK sea life centres already. Merlin already have the experience and I dare say contacts to make this work. It could really add to the park and work well if done properly. The only downside is transportation of these fish to the park as its miles from any major road, rail or port.