UK theme parks from another point of view!

LiamSAFC

Your First Day at Alton

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:32 am

Can you remember your first trip to the Towers?

I can remember mine. October 2006, a damp cold morning staying in Llam Hall in Derbyshire. Then I remember getting off the coach with my friends, and looking onwards towards the Towers and thinking "I'm a kid again!". Went on all the Rides aswell, even though I was really scared considering the only Theme Park I'd been to before hand was Flamingo Land.

Oblivion in the pissing rain too! My first ride at the Towers! I was totally scared and remember the rain hitting the back of my head as I looked over Oblivion. I got f**king soaking!!

Was a Quality Day! Never forget it, was just awesome. One of the best experiences of my life! :D

Were you the same? Share your views!

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:14 am

August 1995... you know what? i hardly remember any of it only being 4... i remember riding the Log Flume and Toyland Tours but i do remember the day being absilutely amazing at the "Magical" Alton Towers

*sigh* so much has changed since those days...

^^ Chris ^^
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

Kaycee

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:24 pm

My first trip was a day in 1993 (I think, either '93 or '92). So I reckon I was about 6 years old. I have some memories. :D

- Refusing to go with my Dad when he went off to ride the Haunted House (I'd seen the scary TV advert! Remember that so well.)

- Riding the Mini Apple by myself and feeling proud that I was obviously so much bigger than my 4 or 5 year old brother.

- Watching my Mom and Dad ride the ThunderLooper from behind some fence or something... and thinking there is no way I would ever go on something like that.

- Being in Cred Street when The Count took a random lady's ice cream and offered it to me. :D

Riding the Runaway Mine Train with my Dad and clinging onto him on the first bend out of the station telling him I was going to fall out.

- The ball pit! I know there's a picture of me in the ball pit holding a ball with it poised and aimed at the camera with a big grin on my face.

- Black Hole tent being green and yellow! And a little playground at the top of X-Sector? :-?

- Long Rapids queue!

- Riding the Teacups, then crying when we had to go home.

Martyj
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:28 pm

My first trip was in 1994 but cant remember that far back. But the oldest one i remember was in 2003. I went with school on a friday was very busy. We got to air and the que was up to the tv/hut thing :lol: . Anyway we had qued up for about 30mins and then i fainted lmao. Spent the rest of the day sat outside McDonalds. :(

BULBOUS
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:53 pm

1998, went with parents and some friends. Can only remember seeing promo shots/vids of nemesis (with it's old logo) on the Monorail screens, along with crying about not going on oblivion cause I was just too short. Why can't it be 135cm, damnit!

That's all I really remember about that visit...
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.

jd_united
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:18 pm

For me i had two really :D . Well the first one was when i was still very young so i don't really remember much of that :(.

But i went in 2002 for what I call my first 'real' visit. The first time I got to ride Nemesis, Air and Oblivion. It was July and we supprisingly got on a lot considering how busy the park was. First ride of the day was Nemesis :shock: talk about being thrown in at the deep end :lol:. Anyway it was a great day, got on everything I wanted to and remember leaving the park in the evening and counting down the days til i could go back. Great stuff :D

Kelly
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:37 pm

Mine really wasnt that long ago :P

It was the 14th of April 2006. I was filled with a mix of terror and excitement as my mum drove me there. I was terrified just getting on the monorail! But i got on, and was just in a sort of dreamy state while going over the park id heard my friends talk about for years, with me never really understanding their love for it all! Anyway got to the entrance plaza and the queues were huge to get in, right back into the monorail station, so we queued, it took absolutely ages to get in, but at about 12 o'clock we made our way down Towers Street. I can't remember much, but i remember just staring in fear at Spinball Whizzer, and nearly pushed myself on it but chickened out at the last minute. I don't think i even set foot in X-sector, and my first ride turned out to be the carosol in Cred Street! :P Later that day i pushed myself to go on the Flume, got absolutely soaked, and RMT, where i purchased my first onride photo. :) We left early, mainly because i was still recovering from a bad illness, and we'd also taken my neice who was only about 1 and she got tired. I didn't go on much, but i was just glad to finally go and see what all the fuss was about! I loved it! And went back another two times in two weeks, but it took until May 1st to get me on a coaster. :P

Nemair
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:17 pm

1999 for me :D
I remember how terrifying the Haunted House was! and being tucked up to my mum for the whole ride!
Also remember Energizer in X-Sector and riding the Log Flume.
The rest is a blur really :(

Still I will never forget the feeling of awe and amazement, and the feeling of magic that surrounded the park.

ahhhh those were the days.

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:41 pm

"Kaycee" wrote:
- Long Rapids queue!

Now thats something i missed out! i remember standing in the queue for at least 2 hours in sweltering heat it was madness, never seen it that long since...

^^ Chris ^^
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:01 pm

September 2004.
Up until this day I had never really liked rollercoasters. Earlier in the year I had been on the Klondike Mine Coaster at Drayton Manor, that had been my first looping coaster. Anyway, the first ride on the day was The Flume, I wasn't expecting the big duck in the tunnel! I went on RMT loads of times and at the end on the day, just as we were about to leave, decided to go on Air. I queued for an hour but it was worth it as thats what got me into coasters.

I had a really good day, and I couldn't wait for my next visit. However my next trip wasn't as good as it was with school and no-one wanted to join a queue if it was more that 20 minutes, which was very annoying.

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:11 am

That would have been 1986 (when I was 12)- mum and dad had just said we were going away for a few days but hadn't told us where - a couple of days before a friend said "So - when are you going to alton towers" - seemed she'd forgotten mum wanted it to be a secret! I rushed upstairs and told my brother!

I bbelieve my first ride there was on the bobsled - http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/ol ... alpine.htm

Other retired rides I enjoyed where: 1001 knights - http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/ol ... nights.htm

4 man bob - http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/ol ... manbob.htm

and of course the black hole... - http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/oldrides/bh.htm

memories.... sniff... :(

also did corky, the log flume, rapids and some of the flats...

Lauren
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:22 pm

August 2004, around then anyway.
Must have just finished year 6, summer holiday. My neice was there along with my sister, her boyfriend and my mum. Wasnt exactly the best day ever, but i suppose thats what made the day so memorable.
I can remember my neice being about 2 and a half and proper throwing tantrums round park all day. Being forced on squirrel nutty with her, and the tractor ride she refused to get off! Mum was tired of waiting and said shes going to go sit on the grass by the lake for the rest of the day. Cant remember much what happend in the day. As around 4 oclock drew i was moaning because i had been on kid rides all day and really wanted to go on spinball whizzer. My sister refused to come on with me but we managed to get on the flume and rapids. Flume was great fun didnt get that wet, though it was a sweltering day so i wouldnt of mind. I remember the rapids very well my sister moaned all the way round because she got absaloutley soaked! (Serves her right tbh) Then we went to meet my mum with my neice outside rapids, my sister still complaining and blagged 4 pound out of my mum to go in the dryers. Which didnt work at all, my neice falling asleep so she was put in the buggy and we went home.
So i suppose, not a bad day at least i managed to crack a few smiles :D
And one other thing, queing for the rapids there was some very nerdyish boys saying something about altitude and the worlds surface..
That had us in stitches for half the que length, which was 2 hours! :(

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:27 pm

September sometime in 1995!

I still had the ticket until recently - some how I have misplaced it and it is no longer in my Alton Towers Box! :P :(

I was only 4 at the time, but it was an ever lasting visit. We left Cornwall at Midnight on an up and back in a day trip with a local radio station my dad worked at.

The bus was however late due to a puncher :P

On the bus I remeber watching Mrs Doubtfire and The Mask, also I remeber stopping at a service station at some weird time in the morning and having a really expensive breakfast! Haha.

Any way, the actual park, I remeber The Haunted House and crying as I didn't want to go on. The 3D cinema with the original reel with the Mini wit hthe pole falling off the roof and the cyclists :P
I remeber the Magic Show in Cred St, first magic show I ever saw and they sawed a Woman in half. Some how the Take That - Could it be magic reminds me of that show, I think they must have played it in the warm up or something.

The tractor ride and Old Mac Donald's farm were ones I remeber aswell.

However, the main thing that sticks out in my head is Peter Rabbit on Ice! Amazing show.

It must have been a good trip though - It was enough to make me visit every year since :P

Mi-Nigle
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:12 pm

There's not much i can remember about my first trip, i couldn't say when it was. I remember on the monorail looking at the map with my cousin, trying to see what i wanted to go on. I remember looking at nemesis on the map and thinking it looked like one of those Hot Wheels tracks. I also decided i wanted to go on the Haunted House and Corkscrew, both i ended up bottling. :lol:

I just remember coming away thinking it was amazing and never stopped talking about it. And the rest is history as they say...

most-hated-chip
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:15 pm

Spring time 2000.
I can remember when I was a little kid. I went on my first looping coaster, My first water ride. I wanted to ride Nemesis but I was too small. It was a magical day!

Mi-Nigle
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:18 pm

"most-hated-chip" wrote:
Spring time 2000.
I can remember when I was a little kid. I went on my first looping coaster, My first water ride. I wanted to ride Nemesis but I was too small. It was a magical day!

Short 'n' sweet :lol:

nicolah
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:04 pm

I remember my first time at alton towers it was either1979 or 1981 the was hardly anything there i remember splashing around in the paddling pool by the towers i have been going about 4 times ayear since then i even appeared on hold tight with my high school.
nicola hunter

nicolah
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:31 pm

hi i was only in the audience but you could see me on telly and it was bob he even had spit with him my mate a lad chris was on the snakes and ladders board do you know anywere you can get copys of the shows i would love to show my kids my little lad is obsessed with alton towers and we have been to florida disney porta aventura and most of the theme parks in uk.
nicola hunter

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:35 pm

mine was late 93
i can remember the thunder looper and being scared to death!
nemesis queue was 120 minutes lol so me and my sis thought no way lol
corkscrew was my first major coaster on that day and blackhole
was awsome. got soaked on logflume and fell asleep on the rapids
thought it was rather boring and still is lol.
3d cinema was good specially the mini cars chase part and the
baloons falling out of the truck

rjwilletts
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:29 pm

^^^ cant have been '93, Nemesis didnt open until '94.

My first visit was in '93, I dont remember a lot, but I do remember the old park railway running next to the log flume, and the Beastie. I went again the next year and my parents recorded it, might try and upload it at some point, a lot different back then :D