UK theme parks from another point of view!

trav
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 11, 2008 5:10 pm

Niagra is still to this day the best Flume I've ever ridden.

I would love to go to the site of American Adventure one day, so I can see with my own eyes just what has happened to the site.

Rowe

Sun May 11, 2008 9:09 pm

First time I came to AT, it was about 1999/2000 when Hex was built. We still have the map hanging around.
We went for two days and camped in a field nearby with some other people. I remember on the second day it was soaking wet, and the first ride we got on was the Doodle Doo Derby and the guy operating it let me and my elder sister have 3 gos.
I don't think I had the guts at that age to go onto the rollercoasters. But I do remember asking my dad when seeing Oblivion "Do people really go to heaven down a hole?"

Corkscrewed

Sun May 11, 2008 9:51 pm

My first visit to AT was 2001. I went on very few rides, and generally just moaned about how tired my legs were all day ( I was a silly little 10 year old :lol:

I do remember a few things though: I nearly crapped myself when I saw Oblivion for the first time, I was too scared to go on Hex, I didn't like the Skyride ("Why Won't It stop moving mummy?" classic line :P), and I didn't like how I got wet on Congo.

I really was a strange little boy :P I did however enjoy the monorail. it was the highlight of my day. :D

EDIT: just saw the conversation about American Adventure. If I', honest it looked a little tatty around the edges, but looked to have some fantastic rides. never got to go though...

babiix
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:42 pm

i was probably about 6 and refused to go on everything lol
alton towers on 5th july

Samsky
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:01 pm

I went a couple of times in the late 80's/very early 90's when i was about 3 and 4 and i remember....

Around the world in 80 days
The Octopus
Watching Corkie
Tea Cups
Drowning in the ball pit and my mum diving in to save me

Then i didnt go again (Camelot reigned supreme!lol) until a school trip at the end of Year 7 in July 1997.From that time i remember....

Not riding Nemesis or Ripsaw coz my best friend was too small
Ripsaw being new and the queues were about 2hrs
Riding The Beast
Feeling sick as a dog after Enterprise (never been on it again)
Energizer over near Corkie
You say that everything sounds the same,then you go buy them.There\'s no excuses my friend.Let\'s push things forward.

Ollie
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:32 am

I guess my first visit must have been in the late 90's, very unsure when though. I do have a picture of me and my brother posing for a photo, infront of the pig in Old MacDonalds Farmyard.

My first 'proper' visit though was around 2004, being around 12 years old. I went via train with some older friends and parents, a very exciting experience! I don't remeber an awful lot about the day, but most of my memories surround my first go on the Black Hole. The queue was very long. I remeber going up the spiral lift hill, then plunging into the darkness. Cant remeber much else. I wasn't tall enough at the time to get on the bigger rides and I was too afraid to go on them anyway.

MrsJ
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:23 pm

I feel really old now but my first visit was about 1981 when I was about 8. My mum and my auntie used to take me and my sister every year for our birthday (we were both born on the same date). I can remember the car park was just a field where you paid a man as you drove on (and it was only a few pounds) and we always used to take a picnic and eat it back at the car until they built the big entrance where you had to get the monorail thingy to it.

I remember the corkscrew (my mum still has the glass mug we bought) and the log flume. One of my favourites was the bobsleigh ride - I fell off it one year and had to walk down the rest of the track which was really embarassing, lol

My last visit was in 1992 and it seems to have changed loads since then. My daughter went a few weeks ago with school and is desperate to go back but it would cost us nearly £200 to get in now. Part of me would love to go and see it now but I think I'd be really sad at how much has changed.

Lucie

Jake
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:47 am

My first trip was in 1996. August 27th to be precise, lol. I was 5 :P

What can I remember...

A very embarrassing display while waiting at the turnstiles, (we won't go into that, although this may be appearing on You've Been Framed....)
Going on the Tractor ride.
Riverbank Eye Spy
Watching my dad on Nemesis (I wasn't tall enough :( , and my brother chickened out.)
Watching my mum and dad queue up for the black hole
I vaguely remember going on the Beastie, lol
Ohhh and watching my brother on the Corkscrew.

Ahhhh good times.

We went again in 2004 :D I remember all of that.

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Your First Day at Alton

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:59 pm

I can't remember mine coz it was when I was three in 98. I remember going on another trip when i was older which i went on Corkscrew for the first time . We went on black hole, which really hurt coz the brakes (I was little and went flying)(not literally). We went on Blade, which at that time was my personal favourite. I cried when my dad went on Nemesis coz I thought he was going to DYE!! :( Good Days :D
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

likemike
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:06 pm

my trip to Alton Towers was a very long time ago back in the middle of March 2000. Where I had my Alton Towers adventures, the weather wasn't that bad after all bit cloudy but i managed to go on the rides though. My first ever ride at Alton Towers was the Black Hole I was a bit nervous and scared to go inside but I liked it in the end i got the hang of what it was like and i had a really good photo to go with the memories.

Then I rode Toyland Tours for fun and my young and for my childhood.

Then I headed for Gloomy Wood for a spooky surprise I was excited to go on the Haunted House but a little frightenend on the way. So I rode it with my dad, Sandra, Natalie and my sister and myself of course it was a scary experience but gave me a few spooky scares.

after the haunted house I got a ride photo for the memories of being scared in the dark and as you can see that i'm hiding in the middle of the photo.

And in the end we had a great day out and I knew the rides pretty much and we went on lots of other rides like the River Rapids and may other rides at Alton Towers. But to be honest it was fun and a great day out.
MichaelBoyd

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:17 pm

Aah, the amount of hillarious pictures created by that Dragon at the end of the ride is brilliant :lol:

Heres a suggestion mate, try if you have one scanning your pictures in, it impoves the quality greatly :D

jo_jo_1uk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:16 pm

I remeber mine!! 1994 nemesis had just opened and I had never been on a coaster ever, I queued forever and was'nt impressed. I loved the thunder looper and the beast and thought corkie was painful even then! I have been many many times since and after going on the front of nemesis my opinion has changed (still think the front is the best place to be on most coasters)

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Mine was late 1998, remember Oblivion well, the Squirrel Nutty Ride but not much else! I think 1998 wwas when lots of people firsrt visited, after all this was the point where the park had become major!

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:48 am

1978 because Belle Vue was rubbish and my folks wouldn't take us there any more, and Blackpool was too expensive.

I loved the train set, but my parents hadn't brought any changes of clothes so I couldn't play in the paddling pool. My Dad also hates boats, so we didn't go on the boats.

We played in the park though, and had a picnic, and looked in the Tea rooms.

It was ever such an exciting day out :roll:
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

TurboJ
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:55 pm

Mine was very recent: August 24th 2007

After taking the Monorail in, me and my dad headed off to UgLand to go on Rita (a move he would soon regret) as it was the only ride not included in my Fast-track ticket. After three rides in a row I decided to go on Corkscrew. I can still remember the stomach-ache it induced.

Much of the day is a blur, to be honest. I remember that after Corky we went over to the Forbidden Valley so I could go on Nemesis and Air (while waiting for a front seat ride, the station had a malfunction. It was an hour before I finally got a go). I remember little else, aside from Oblivion breaking down while I was on it, The Flume, The Rapids and Air being the last ride of the day.

I may never get that many rides in a single day again, as I found out this year that the Unlimited Fast-track ticket I had purchased for that day had been discontinued (meaning I only got 2 or 3 rides in June as opposed to 5 on Nemmy). Is there a reason they did this?

Bear

Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:16 pm

I went in late march this year, and it kicked ass!

We got there an hour early to annoy Ewan, and as soon as we could get in we legged it over to Rita and all four of us (me, lee, ewan, and me sis) got in the front row queue. After having my eyeballs hammered into the back of my skull from the launch, we teetered over to Oblivion.

It was pretty much walk-on, with some tit infront of me being asked kindly if he would put out his spliff. Oh dear. I got an outside seat next to a fat dude, lucky thing! I'll never forget that screwed up feeling you get in your stomach when the lift chain catch releases at the top of the drop, and slow-motion falling towards the floor. Weirdly, the pause before the drop didnt really bother me at all, but when it released it shet myself!

We went through the wooded area to get to nemesis, which we finally got on after my sister's hangups about removing her shoes to ride it! From this moment on, i referred to nemesis as 'THE SEX', having never ridden an inverted coaster that didnt result in emergency brain surgery afterwards.
I think we re-rode it a couple times before floating off to KFC and runaway mine train (which was PAIN but hilarious).

Donuts and mutiny bay came next, followed by several rides (9 i think) on Spinball. Screw you spinball haters, this almost beat nemesis!! Single rider queue was empty, and with the other queue being past 45 mins i gleefully walked past chuntering and moaning children with their parents to re-ride many times while they didnt move an inch. Score!

The best part though had to be riding the rapids in the snow, and getting soaked and chucked around everywhere, and also having pictures taken because i happened to be wearing pyjamas! Fame!

Cant wait to go back :P

madmanwill
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:30 pm

my earliest memory of AT..
1991/2 so i would have been around 4
im assuming it was AT as i can remember 1001 nights and going on it ? (not sure if there was height restrictions but i was a tall kid and went on nemesis at the age of 8.
i can also remember being left with my nan and grandad whilst my parents went on what i am assuming (from looking at the past rides section on tt) was gravitron and crying because i thought they wouldnt come back (the same thing happened at chessington with rameses revenge but that was because the adverts said you wouldnt come back :P ) and also standing behind a fence at thunderlooper whilst my dad went on.

I think that thunder looper scared me from then and i never got to ride it because of the noise that it made :x

scottw92
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:33 pm

All truly interesting experiences and a great topic :D

I can't remember what year i went. I was about 8 so must've been.. 1999/2000?? :? Somewhere near then anyways :lol: Second time was 2002. Put both together as memories of both visits have been mixed up lol.

All i can remember is;

- Going on Hex endlessly and crying my eyes out over and over again as me Dad liked it and i didn't want to go on. And closing my eyes and holding tight hold of the bar and me dad, as i thought i was going to fall out (illusions fault :( haha)

- Going on Corkscrew my first upside-down coaster. I really didn't want to go on but i conjured up the courage. Then worrying on the ride as i got ever closer to that famous double-loop. Ironically it became my fave ride after that and went on about 5 times more after that :shock: (surprised my necks still in place :P )

- Going on Bone Shaker and crappin meself as i was convinced i was going to fall out.

- Going on Haunted House; was really scared but enjoyed it. And remember pretending to shoot the undertaker guy :S haha.

- Going to Nemesis with my Dad and discussing with my Aunty i was just tall enough to go on. Would'nt of anyways was sh*t scared :P lol. And waiting forever for me Dad to come off.

- Air had just been opened that very year. And i remember sitting in the tester seat just outside of its entrance. And didn't really know what type of coaster it was lol

- Going on the back row of Blade enlessly.

-Watchin Ripsaw and askin me dad what a ripsaw was :lol:

- Eatin a Maccy D's and kingsize dairymilk in Merrie England before goin on The Flume.

- Havin my first pizza in Katanga Canyon Pizza hut :lol:

- At the end of a long, magical day, going to X-Sector; standing next to the Oblivion hole. Then me Dad asked wanna go on? i went :shock: pfft.. Rya jokin?? :P lol.

Last year was the first proper trip as i went on the big 4 8)

A lot of memories i know :P Hopefully more to come :D ..
Do Look Down..

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:26 pm

My first year was between 1995 and 1998, but most likely, 1998 as I remember Oblivion. So yeah, 1998, when I was only 3 years old. I remember me & my mum standing outisde of Corckscrew while my sister and my Dad rode it. My sister came of and told me she hated it and would never do anything like it again. Bless, she was only seven. Then standing outside Oblivion & Nemesis in the pouring rain waiting for my Dad to come of. We thought we saw him about ten times on Oblivion. :lol:
I remember going on Vintage Cars, Around The World In 80 Days & Swan Boats and loving them. I remember trying to talk my Mum into riding Thunder Looper with my dad, as there was no line. She refused! Strangely, I don't remember Log Flume or Congo River Rapids, yet my mum swears I went on them. I don't believe her! :P
To think now, ten years later I love Alton Towers! :)

AstroDan

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:50 pm

Very impressed you can remember visit(s) from when you were just 3!

:)