UK theme parks from another point of view!

CGM
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

The Decade in Review

Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:30 pm

The decade is apparently over and as the entire world seems to be difining it with internet lists, I thought that I would jump on the bandwagon and see what people made of the last 10 years of AT history.

A lot has happened in the last 10 years. We've had 3 new coasters, a whole lot of legal battles, a new hotel and a waterpark, countless closed rides, fires and a change of ownership just to name a few.

The categories are as follows:

Rides-

Best New Coaster

Best New Non-Coaster

Worst New Addition

Ride that created the best speculation

Saddest Loss

Park in general-

Best Decision

Worst Decision

Best New Theming

Most Annoying New Addition

Most Epic Fail

Highlight of the Decade

Lowlight of the Decade

Look Back and Laugh moment

Food-

Best New Food Outlet

Worst New Food Outlet

Best Food

Worst Food

Events-

Best Event

Worst Event

Saddest Loss

It would be nice if there was some elaboration with each answer just to give the topic a bit more substance

---- Post Info Added ----

Here are mine

Rides-

Best New Coaster- Air, the only coaster of the decade to have been properly thought through in terms of theming, location, landscaping and layout. It shows too when compared to the rushjobs that are Spinball and Rita. Air looks like it belongs at AT, the other two just look plonked there.

Air is also probably the last time the park will get anything as exciting in terms of coaster prototypes. I know that Thirteen has been labelled an SW but for some reason it just doesn't seem as exciting. Probably because it relies mainly on gimmicks and it's essentially a glorified kiddie coaster.

Best New Non-Coaster- Hex. The first new ride of the decade is still the best in terms of a fully rounded attraction. It's probably the best use of the Vekoma Madhouse there is. It has brilliant theming and music and is built inside a real victorian stately home upon which the story is based around. No other dark ride in the world can boast that.

Worst New Addition- Submission. Okay, I'll admit, I've never been on it, but there's only ever about 5 people riding it and without both sides working, it doesn't look particularly good either.

Ride that created the best speculation- A ride that was never built. Around 2004, we were all very excited because we thought that we would be getting a huge Wardley designed wooden coaster spanning the valley with up to 200 ft drops. What we got instead was Rita. Ah well.

Saddest Loss- Toyland Tours. Blackhole and to some extent Corkscrew were both very sad but TT was a ride I grew up with and a very good dark ride with characters and scenes that actually moved! The fact that it was replaced by the budget-stretched Charlie makes it even sadder.

Park in general-

Best Decision- Getting rid of the dreadful "square" maps

Worst Decision- Rita, a good ride but so out of place and lacking decent theming. It's hard to see how even an area retheme can make it fit in.

Best New Theming- Mutiny Bay. On the surface, not much has changed but a few key pieces of theming and the overall feel of the area is much better.

Most Annoying New Addition- The stall that completely blocks all of the amazing RMT theming.

Most Epic Fail- The Skyride catching fire...twice.

Highlight of the Decade- Merlin purchasing the park and getting it back on track

Lowlight of the Decade- The coach crash

Look Back and Laugh moment- When all of the music went away and was replaced by royalty free tracks. At the time it seemed completely disastrous but now it's back, the whole event doesn't seem so bad.

Food-

Best New Food Outlet- Rita's chicken n' Ribs

Worst New Food Outlet- Wherever I got the hotdog, see below. It might not have been new this decade but it wan't good.

Best Food- The Chicken Skewers/Ribs that I had last time..lovely

Worst Food- A hotdog I ate once...bleugh

Events-

Best Event- The 2002 Fireworks display, it was just epic. It managed to avoid the tackyness of the years that followed and contained some amazing effects.

Worst Event- Chocolate Towers. The name is stupid and there was nothing to the event, just a fibreglass volcano that pelted sweets at you.

Saddest Loss- The fireworks, someone invent silent fireworks so that they can be brought back

Cobra_Roll
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Decade in Review

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Rides-

Best New Coaster
Has to be Air. A brand new concept fairly well executed even with the downtime it had when it first opened

Best New Non-Coaster
Hex... I hadn't ridden a ride so immersive when I went on in 2002. Still looks great today!

Worst New Addition
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... I was almost in love with the idea when I saw the great facades go up... when I rode it... What had they done?!

Ride that created the best speculation
The whole debate of coaster corner opening back up and the family-scale woodie.

Saddest Loss
Easily Toyland tours

Park in general-

Best Decision
The replacement and preservation of Corkscrew. It had been getting on for a fair old while so knowing it was going to be replaced but commemorated was welcome news.

Worst Decision
The removal of the Swans

Best New Theming
Has to be Mutiny Bay and the theming on Battle Galleons!

Most Annoying New Addition
The splash karts in 2003

Most Epic Fail
Again... The Skyride catching alight twice.

Highlight of the Decade
Merlin's Takeover. So much stuff has been looking up since they took over.

Lowlight of the Decade
The crash of the Runaway mine train back in 2006.

Look Back and Laugh moment
The Ropers popping up and moaning. Again... and again... and again...

Can't really comment on any of the others.
<3-roll. Geddit?

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Rides-

Best New Coaster - Air by far. It wasn't as thriling or well themed as many of us would have hoped for, but it still had that Secret Weapon magic, as well as being by far the best of a bad bunch!

Best New Non-Coaster - Hex, no question.

Worst New Addition - The Dung Heap, a playground themed around faeces? No thanks, plus it's no better and in many aspects worse than my local council built play park!

Ride that created the best speculation - I would say the Woodie, but I wasn't really an enthusiast at that point, so will ahve to saw Thi3teen, if that is allowed. Otherwise, then i'm afraid to say it was Rita, the thought of an Intamin Rocket at AT was what brought me to these forums!

Saddest Loss - Black Hole, or Haunted House. Both still worked as quality attractions, and in my eyes despite it being iconic, they were still enjoyable at closure unlike Corkscrew.

Park in general-

Best Decision - Bringing back ITHOTMK and the Merlin rebrand

Worst Decision - the dropping of "Where the Magic Never ends" as well as the dark years that followed.

Best New Theming - Battle Galleons

Most Annoying New Addition - Splash Karts

Most Epic Fail - when the Skyride caught fire just a few months after the new Gondola investment, FAIL!

Highlight of the Decade - Learning that the SW franchise would be reinstated, and being amongst the very first to hear SW6 was called Thi3teen

Lowlight of the Decade - 2004 - 2007 in general, as well as all the recent PR stunts.

Look Back and Laugh moment - Maude de Neville (Sam). It had so many people going, and its hillarious to think that everybody was practically wetting themselves over the utter crap he was posting!

Food-

Best New Food Outlet - Rita's Chicken & Ribs

Worst New Food Outlet - None are bad food wise, but I hated the retheme of Nemesis Nosh to Fish and Chips, yet more theming destroyed!

Best Food - Ribs from Rita's of course!

Worst Food - Never had bad food at Alton.

Events-

Best Event - Scarefest this year

Worst Event - Islam day, that fell on its arse as well as being a controversy to say the least!

Saddest Loss - Fireworks, and Room 13

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:35 am

"Cobra_Roll" wrote:
Worst Decision
The removal of the Swans

Best New Theming

Contradiction? :P
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

Cobra_Roll
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:11 am

"Spike"&quot;][quote=&quot;"Cobra_Roll" wrote:
Worst Decision
The removal of the Swans

Best New Theming

Contradiction? :P[/quote]

Not exactly... It was a poor idea to replace them with splash karts. However the replacement of splash karts with Battle Galleons more than made up for it in my opinion.

<3-roll. Geddit?