UK theme parks from another point of view!

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Purchasing Old Alton Towers Maps.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:35 pm

I didn't see this anywhere so I thought I'd start a new topic!

I was wondering do any members know where I can buy old park maps from 1994 - 2003? (Preferably not eBay as I have checked but don't know whether to trust the site).

I would even be willing to buy old maps from any members on this forum! (Not that anyone would want to get rid of them). Please comment if you can help.

:D
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

Slappy McGuire
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Purchasing Old Alton Towers Maps.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Ebay is fine, especially for low value items. Best bet is to contact the marketing dept of the parks, they are likely to keep several old copies, that they will probably let you have one of, if you ask them (nicely!)

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Okay thankyou very much, do you know how I can access the management?
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

Slappy McGuire
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:54 pm

Not management, but marketing, and there should be an email linky on the park's webpage.

cybermen39
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi i don,t think marketing or any one there now will let you have anything. Back in the 90,s yes Les Davies who ran the archive would give you any items they had more than a couple of. But after each year they would throw boxes of unused maps away, not thinking about the archive dept. Back then they had costume sales memorabilia sales, and if you had any literature or any item to do with alton towers you give it to Les Davies for something they had more than two of, or for free entrys to the park. They were very generous with tickets. Ebay is very reliable for sending things as is the person selling does,nt send they can,t get barred off Ebay

---- Post Info Added ----

Hi slappy mcguire if you you would like to pm me iwill send you park maps leaflets hotel items plus other bis and bobs i have loads of every bit of litature from 1990 upwards.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:30 pm

"AltonThorpe" wrote:
Okay thankyou very much, do you know how I can access the management?

You could try contacting the press and media department...

Liz West (PR Manager)
Telephone: 01538 704015
Email: liz.west[at]alton-towers.com

Carla Ballone (PR Executive)
Telephone: 01538 704475
Email: carla.ballone[at]alton-towers.com

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:35 am

Just emailed them myself. Would love a few old Alton Maps, and somehow i don't trust Ebay 8-[

SAW_gameover
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:13 pm

"Voke" wrote:
Just emailed them myself. Would love a few old Alton Maps, and somehow i don't trust Ebay 8-[

I've never had any success when contacting parks for old memorabilia, they never seem to keep enough of it to send out to people.

As for Ebay... I've spent well in excess of £200 over the last year or so on park memorabilia (Mainly Thorpe) and have never been scammed once. Trust me, the likelyhood of getting scammed on an item like park memorabilia is very low. Tricksters wouldn't bother selling something with such a limited audience.

If you want, PM me and I'll give you some names of some awesome sellers on Ebay, who I've, since starting on ebay, ended up trading with directly through paypal and email... they're very trustworthy!
[size=125]http://www.ukparknews.co.uk
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Ah okay thanks. It's not just that, it's also that Ebay -in my opinion- doesn't really have a wide range of merchandise avaible. I've been looking for some old park maps for quite awhile, but never seem to find them on Ebay. And i don't really know any other sites.

cybermen39
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Alton Towers don't give things away like they used to. I have all the original for park maps from 1989 to 1995 as Alton Towers did not want them back then.

I phoned up L.M.C in 1995 and they sent me every piece of art work they had done for Alton Towers. Like I said in my last write up they didn't keep much up to around 1999.

And on Ebay it is very reliable and if you look often which you need to, maps of all years are always poping up on there.

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:55 pm

But what would they do with past season maps (2003 - 2009) surely they would just throw them away. They dont realise that people collect this sort of stuff! It'll make the fans happy :D

cybermen39
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi to be honest Voke i bet they don't even think about fans collecting maps and things . It is money making company not a fan giveaway company.And i ment by them keeping maps from 2000 onwards they keep more than they did before.From the it started as a theme park i don;t think they thought about archive departments and such. But now they play more of a part.I knew Les Davies the archive person and only at the end of the 1995 season he realised that they had not kept a map from that year, so he kept a whole box of 1995 park maps.But before this they relied on the public sending things in for free park entry. Hope this helps in answering your question.

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Ah, thanks very much Cybermen. But about your point regarding "Its a money making company, not a fan giveaway one". Well i'm quite interested to see what they do with the maps at the end of the season, they must throw hundreds of thousands out. It would be nice to give a fan one or two!

Big C
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:29 pm

I use ebay for really old ones. I saw a 1992 park map go for £70! On ebay!

Theres nothing wrong with ebay, trust it.

I have the maps from 1993 to present day, shame none from earlier. :(
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!

fredward

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Also, regarding the "not a fan giveaway" remark, they gave us fans a free evening to see behind the scenes of th13teen and hex, plus a talk by wardley and Morwenna and a free dinner to boot!

They do care about there fans, just money usually will come first!

Just throwing that out there!

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:55 am

Hia, does anyone have any old hotel brochures etc. that they would be willing to sell? of course id be more than happy to pay.

SIR AL

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Search "theme-park" on Ebay, and then click on collectables. I've noticed that there's alot of Brochures on there at the moment.

Big C
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:07 pm

"siralgenon" wrote:
Hia, does anyone have any old hotel brochures etc. that they would be willing to sell? of course id be more than happy to pay.

SIR AL

Yes i do, 4 folders full in fact, what exactly were u looking for?
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!

Rory
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi, I'm getting rid of all my alton towers memorabilia at the moment. Some of it may be a lot of interest to you!

Take a look here here. Of most interest to you will probably be these Alton Towers Maps and Leaflets from 2000-2005

Cheers
Rory

joshc807
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:26 pm

How come your getting rid of some of your Alton Towers memorabilia? :shock:
Also what's actually in the Bolliger and Mabillard pack, I can see the pictures but what's the letter on about? Information on rides?
Thankyou :D