UK theme parks from another point of view!

Rita 2005
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton Towers on Flickr

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Just browsing the Flickr Photosite and found these photos taken by a visitor in 1987 & 2005. the 1987 ones show a few attractions that are no longer at the park as well as a few general views.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=alton%20towers&w=31565312%40N00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=alton%2 ... 5312%40N00[/url]

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers on Flickr

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:59 pm

^Wow! Nice find there.

What's interesting to see if just how pristine the park was back then and how well kept it was. Particularly in regards to Towers Street, Rapids and the log flume. Compare it too now, I know we have seen improvements recently but all three of these areas are grotty and run down - it is a shame. Although to be fair Towers Street and rapids were only a year old and the log flume was fairly new too at the time.

:)

deadwing
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Those are some really nice pics. You don't often see photos of that quality online from that period, thanks for sharing them.

On that one of the flume, is that the final drop? I know logic would dictate that it is, seeing as you can see the queue, but it just looks less high and less steep that I thought it was. I know it was never Hydro at Oakwood, but I'm quite shocked.
In the coat you wore to Alton Towers is still the way I see you now...

.Will

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:35 pm

"deadwing" wrote:
Those are some really nice pics. You don't often see photos of that quality online from that period, thanks for sharing them.

On that one of the flume, is that the final drop? I know logic would dictate that it is, seeing as you can see the queue, but it just looks less high and less steep that I thought it was. I know it was never Hydro at Oakwood, but I'm quite shocked.

Yes it is, the que(?!?) line runs right under the final drop and that is the final drop you can see.

:D

deadwing
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Crazy times. Looks a lot bigger in person.

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Brillaint quality photos there, would love to see more of Corkscrew at this resolution 8)

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:33 pm

"deadwing" wrote:

You mean this one:

No, that's not the drop, its the first lift hill, which the queue doesn't go under.

deadwing
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:43 pm

Nope, not that pic, photo 019. I know it is definitely the final drop, It just seems a lot less epic than it appears when riding/queueing.

lefthanded99
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:40 pm

Nice to know that my efforts are appreciated.

lefthanded99

aka left--handed on Flickr

.Will

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:05 pm

"lefthanded99" wrote:
Nice to know that my efforts are appreciated.

lefthanded99

aka left--handed on Flickr

Wow! They are really great photos! I presume they are of you as a child visiting? I also used to love the Vintage Cars; they were my favourite when I was younger(er)

By the way I am also left handed! Whoop!

:D

lefthanded99
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Yes - 23 years ago! My son (9 years old then) is now 32 and has a son of his own!

lefthanded99

Altonator
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:25 am

Great pics there cheers for sharing :)
Just looking at this one of Festival Park
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/left_handed_male/2723264708/in/set-72157606474181116/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/left_hande ... 474181116/[/url]

I persume it's taken from Skyride :)
Is it just me or are Enterprise and Waveswinger in different locations?
Shouldn't Enterprise be on the right of the pic (or not even in shot)

Thought Waveswinger wouldn't be in shot either surely this is postioned far left when looking at pic
(where thirteen entrance is now pretty much) and not as close to Corkscrew / Corkscrew Games or were these rides moved slightly around Festival Park in the 1990s?
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek