UK theme parks from another point of view!

Mi-Nigle
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Grand Canyon Rapids Slides

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Nothing major here, just some old slides my dad came across. Enjoy! :)

A very bare looking station, scaffolding up on the roof and freshly excavated mounds of earth in the background. Pretty...

Again, extremely plain with those waterfalls very randomly plonked in the middle of nothingness. Very unfinished with mounds of earth and some sort of work vehicle off to the left there. My point is if Alton ever did this today, they would be absolutely slated for not trying or spending enough money! Can you imagine the pages and pages of complaints that would appear on this forum? We'd never let them hear the end of it.
Yet with years of maturing, the river rapids is regarded one of the best looking rides in the park today, something Thi3teen hasn't had chance to do yet. So I'm sure in a few years time we can expect Thi3teen to look nice and worn in :)

My aunty :P Notice how the waterfall looks like one large one, as opposed to 4 separate mini ones in a line.

And this is just one of good old Blade back in Fantasy World.

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Grand Canyon Rapids Slides

Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Good find there! Certainly looks bare indeed!

.Will

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Wow some really great photos there. The rapids looks so strange there with out any theming it really looks like it doesn't belong there.

:)

Blaze

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:26 pm

That second picture is sureal! :shock:

One of the things I love most about Alton is how it's all in the middle of the countryside, it's such a sudden and shocking juxtoposition of nature and human activity. Reminds me of that shot of Oblivion's drop with the hills in the background. Never fails to make you go "wow".

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:41 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
That second picture is sureal! :shock:

One of the things I love most about Alton is how it's all in the middle of the countryside, it's such a sudden and shocking juxtoposition of nature and human activity. Reminds me of that shot of Oblivion's drop with the hills in the background. Never fails to make you go "wow".

I know what you mean. I think the local scenery and remote location really adds to the magic of AT.

Can't believe how bare the rapids look in these pictures. I thought it was some old quarry at first :? Really makes you appreciate how far the park has come.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

.Will

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:45 pm

I love KK, it isn't everyones cup of tea but it is such a nice area. Granted it is in need of a bit of a clean it still is one of the best themed areas.

I love the view from the top of Oblivion where you can see the rolling hills just like the view from the top of Corkscrew's lift hill that was the same. Such a beautiful park and surrounding.

:)

djtruefitt

Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:04 pm

It would be really interesting if someone could get some photos from the same location now just to see how different it looks now, espeically that 2nd photo, which just looks like a random concreate channel in the middle of the countryside with piles of mud either side.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Reminds me of how awful Viking River Splash looked at Legoland when it first opened, and stuck out like a sore thumb.. another ride which has grown to fit in very nicely! :)

Thanks for this, greatly appreciated.

SAW_gameover
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:12 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
Reminds me of that shot of Oblivion's drop with the hills in the background. Never fails to make you go "wow".

Do you have a link for that? Not quite sure if I've seen it? :)
[size=125]http://www.ukparknews.co.uk
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource

fredward

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:04 am

"SAW_gameover""][quote=""Blaze" wrote:
Reminds me of that shot of Oblivion's drop with the hills in the background. Never fails to make you go "wow".

Do you have a link for that? Not quite sure if I've seen it? :)[/quote]

I believe this is what Blaze is referring to

(Sorry if i'm stealing your thunder Blaze! :P )

barryzola

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:17 am

That second pic is excellent Mi-Nigle. Many thanks for sharing these.

Would it be ok for me to use it on my site at some point in the future when i get around to focusing more on the rides?

Honestly no worries if not, but great if i know i have your blessing to use it at some point in the future and would name check you on the photo on the site.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share the pics :)

Mi-Nigle
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:23 am

"barryzola" wrote:
Would it be ok for me to use it on my site at some point in the future when i get around to focusing more on the rides?

Honestly no worries if not, but great if i know i have your blessing to use it at some point in the future and would name check you on the photo on the site.

Yes of course :) TT is also welcome to add these to River Rapids past gallery if they wish.

ATJakee96

Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Wow such a change to what the area looks like today.
Especially with the waterfall in the middle of nowhere.

barryzola

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:54 am

"Mi-Nigle""][quote=""barryzola" wrote:

Yes of course :) TT is also welcome to add these to River Rapids past gallery if they wish.[/quote]

Many thanks for that bud :D

I'm sure it will find it's way onto the site in the next 6 months or so :)

Squiggles
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:57 am

"Mi-Nigle""][quote=""barryzola" wrote:

Yes of course :) TT is also welcome to add these to River Rapids past gallery if they wish.[/quote]

Thanks, will do!
Edwardo..... move me!

djtruefitt

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:04 pm

"djtruefitt" wrote:
It would be really interesting if someone could get some photos from the same location now just to see how different it looks now, espeically that 2nd photo, which just looks like a random concreate channel in the middle of the countryside with piles of mud either side.

I had a look at the park today, but the way the paths and things have changed it would be pretty hard to get a photo from the same angles as the photos here.

---- Post Info Added ----

I thought I would post this here as it seems the best place for talking about the rapids when they were new.

I have just seen this video of Treasure Hunt from 1988 which has big part at Alton Towers which includes Anneca Rice going on the rapids to look for her next clue, so you get a good look at the whole of the rapids ride (when it looks very bare), plus the old enterance and station. Plus you see her go down towers street (which also look very new and empty!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YscIC1kvdxw&feature=player_embedded

Thanks to http://www.altontowersmemories.net for posting the video

joshc807
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:57 pm

It looks like a different park :shock: The rapids look so much better now that Katanga Canyon is built around them.

Thorpefandan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Wow. Alton Towers looks beautiful. The rapids look really bare, but there's something about not being surrounded which makes it more adventurous. All the mascots and park entertainments look amazing, bring them back!
It\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bobs radio show.

.Will

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Wow! Some really really good footage there!

:shock:

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:37 pm

That never ceases to amaze me that video. That area has changed so much, I would have loved to have visited back then.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.