UK theme parks from another point of view!

CGM
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Trip Report: Tivoli Gardens

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:37 pm

I visited Tivoli on the 27th of December for a Christmas break with my family since they were doing their Christmas opening. We did a two day stay in Copenhagen, on the first day, we did Tivoli and on the second day, we did sightseeing around Copenhagen.

The park was open from 11:30am to 10:00pm with the majority of the rides opening at 2:00pm. All of the rides are pay per ride but you can buy a "Multiride Pass" for about 200 Kroner (£20) which is like the Blackpool wristband. You also have to pay for entry to the park which is something like 80 Kroner. Being next to the train station, it makes it easy to access from the airport.

The park is very unusual in the way that it's built right in the center of Copenhagen and it is one of the most beautiful parks I've ever been to. It has a great atmosphere about it and a real sense of history. I think that the best way to describe the park is Alton meets Blackpool Pleasure Beach. It has beautiful gardens and themeing with a shoehorned B&M coaster plus it has a tiny area of land with lots of historic rides all built on top of each other. But the park has its own character as well, particularly at night when the lights come on. If you go to Tivoli at anytime, it should be at night since that's when the park is at its best. Pretty much everything that can be lit up is lit up and it just makes the place look amazing. But the lights aren't the only things at night; there was also an amazing fireworks display and a water/laser show on the lake.

It's clear that the park makes a special effort at Christmas since you find Christmas trees everywhere. There is also a sort of walkthrough dark ride that is done just for Christmas.

The rides at Tivoli were also of a very high standard.

I had heard that Dæmonen was fairly average and boring so I got on not expecting much. But it is really very good. Though the ride may not have huge amounts of force, it makes up for this by really throwing you around. The ride's pacing is brilliant, it has a very good drop, the zero G roll has to be one of the best out there, it has hangtime in the loop and a good pop of airtime into the brakes. After Nemesis, this is easily my favourite coaster. It is pretty short but this doesn't really matter as it never has a long queue and the ride has a lot to it for its length.

The other coaster that surprised me was Rutschebanen, the park's scenic railway. Giving that it's almost 100 years old and that it has a brakeman, I was thinking that it would trundle round the course at a slow speed. But the brakeman let the ride fly round the track and the drops felt huge. There was also some minor airtime in the front seat.

They also have a fairly decent powered coaster that was about twice as long as RMT but they give you 4 laps. There were also some good flats including a Brakedance, a Zierer inverted magic carpet and a weird tilting spinny ride that I have no idea about who made it.

The food in the park is generally very good but I would not advise eating at the Chinese restaurant in the pagoda as the food is very greasy and salty.

But that's pretty much my only complaint about the park and I would recommend it to anyone as the perfect Christmas break or a winter park trip if the closed season is getting you down.

Here are a few of many pictures that I took of the park:

The side entrance
The view from the entrance
This funhouse is actually built into the structure of Rutschebanen along with a dark ride and about 20 shops
This is Dæmonen
Just before the drop
Dæmonen again
...and again
The amazing drop
This is part of the walkthrough attraction Tivoli have set up for Christmas
Rutschebanen
An amazing oriental palace
The main entrance
Some of the park lit up
Starflyer
The pagoda lit up at night
The palace at night
More lights
The fireworks were launched from the top of a building
Leaving the park
Last edited by CGM on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroDan

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:39 pm

A great read! I would love to go here sometime. I think some day I will do Tivoli, Liseberg and North German parks in one trip.

Brill stuff!

Anonymous

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 pm

Excellent report and photos! Really wanna go now, but it doesn't seem the sort of park you'd make a special trip just for. But great location for a park, sounds like a good holiday. :)

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:33 pm

Good report.

The park looks to have great theming and some gorgeous looking coasters :D

CGM
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:45 pm

but it doesn't seem the sort of park you'd make a special trip just for.

Well that's pretty much what we did really. We got a cheap flight with Easyjet out of Stansted, arrived in the morning did the park, stayed one night in a hotel, got some sightseeing done and flew back that evening.

Not a huge trip like Europa Park or Disneyland but I'd say it was worth the trip out to Denmark

Anonymous

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:50 pm

Sounds nice! I forget just how accessible Europe really is now!

Anonymous

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:53 am

"CGM" wrote:
but it doesn't seem the sort of park you'd make a special trip just for.

Well that's pretty much what we did really. We got a cheap flight with Easyjet out of Stansted, arrived in the morning did the park, stayed one night in a hotel, got some sightseeing done and flew back that evening.

Not a huge trip like Europa Park or Disneyland but I'd say it was worth the trip out to Denmark

Me and Stubert did the same thing... But we also ventured upto Bakken which had a great scenic coaster too with road traffic signs

The weird ride your talking about is Dragon, a Huss Flic-Flak great ride in the evening when the op goes nuts!

JaiB!

CGM
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:25 am

Something that should be said is that in Denmark, they don't seem to have the same attitude to safety as we do here. For example, Rutschebanen loads and unloads on seperate platforms meaning the the train rolls into the station with the lapbars open. There are no airgates on the ride, so as the train was rolling in, a boy about half way down the platform jumped into the front seat as it came past him! In any British park, he would have surely been thrown off the ride, but the Ride op just smiled at him.

Also people on the chairswings, as soon as the ride sarted slowing down, everyone started unclipping the safety bars and lifting them up, this was still when the ride was still in motion and about 20ft in the air!

Anonymous

Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Yea its called personal responsibility... there's signs outside pretty much every euro park saying that your responsible for your own actions on the park and the park takes no liability for any actions taken by the visitors...

UK = Compensation Nation Which In Turn = H&S Nation

JaiB!

HighExtreme
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:07 am

Tivoli Gardens is such a magical place, i really enjoyed reading your report CGM it summed the place up brilliantly - actually reminded me to get my own trip report uploaded!

I'd really recommend Copenhagen for anybody looking for to do a park trip, trains run direct from the airport to the city centre, Tivoli Gardens is right outside the main station and Bakken is about a 20min train ride north of Copenhagen - I'm sure it would be relatively easy to get to some other Danish Parks like Farup Sommerland with its highly rated S&S Falken woodie or the mad looking BonBon Land home to the infamous "dog fart" coaster and "Betty Baps" character!

CGM
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:37 pm

Those are some great photos, sounds like you stayed at the same hotel as me, was it the DGI Beyern?

As for gatting to Farup, I'm not sure it would be as easy as the other parks as it's right in the middle of "mainland" Denmark, away from the other parks. But it looks like it would be worth it just for Falken.

What I really want to do is do a tour of the Scandinavian parks as they all look very good and I believe that scandinavia is one of the best if not the best coaster/park region in the world

HighExtreme
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:20 am

Those are some great photos, sounds like you stayed at the same hotel as me, was it the DGI Beyern?

We stayed at Hotel FOX it's an amazing hotel each room has been individually designed by artists (you can see photos of them on their website) so you stay in some pretty mad surroundings

Check out our room "Yume" which means dream in Japanese designed by illustrator Shinya Chisato, had some pretty funky trees painted onto the walls and even on the bed sheets

Hotel Fox is such a unique place i'd really recommend it for anybody visiting Copenhagen