UK theme parks from another point of view!

DanB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

New York - 2008

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:21 am

Me and Stigzy have decided to go to New York on the 29th July 2008 for a week so we can get to Six Flags Great Adventure and ride Kingda Ka and also do some sight seeing in the city.

We have only booked flights and hotel so far and still need to decide what we are doing in NY and book tickets/hire car/etc.

Is anyone else interested in coming on this trip?

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:33 am

You must be minted to go on 3 big holidays in a row. :P

Ryan Kingdaka
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:42 am

*Cough* Loans *cough*

*Looks at dad*....don't do it guys! :P

Would love to go...but I'm a skint student, working for Betterware at the moment...soo...no :(

DanB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:21 am

*Cough* I don't do loans

Realise its short notice, but the offer is there if anyone does want to come and ride the tallest* and fastest* roller coaster in the world

*According to Wikipedia

AstroDan

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:48 am

PMBO?

Quickey
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:32 pm

^ :P

anyway, I think I might be out there around that time with my dad and step mum, but I’m not sure what the dates are yet. would be funny if we bumped in to each other. :P

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:16 am

Forget Kingda Ka (unless you are really in to pain!), it's all about El Toro and Nitro. I managed to do SFGA and NY last year - best two weeks of my life, gutted I can't afford to do it any more. Seriously, you will love it. We landed at Newark and then drove to some Holiday Inn place in NJ (about 10-15 mins from SF). The driving can be very nerve-wracking, so be warned! :D

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:07 am

You can stick me down on the list Dan, I'll go with you old chap, oh wait yeeeah, duh I AM GOING...! Whoooop!

Forget Kingda Ka (unless you are really in to pain!), it's all about El Toro and Nitro. I managed to do SFGA and NY last year - best two weeks of my life, gutted I can't afford to do it any more. Seriously, you will love it. We landed at Newark and then drove to some Holiday Inn place in NJ (about 10-15 mins from SF). The driving can be very nerve-wracking, so be warned! :D

Ahh that sounds good newz then :D , it sounds pretty much what were aiming for. Though were going for a week, I'm positive we can cram it all in but just to query it how did you find it for two weeks, was it too long, too short?! Also, as much as I want to ride Kingdaka (not ryan) I am also easily sexually aroused at the thought of Nitro, El Toro, Rolling Thunder and espcially Medusa. Nitro and Medusa to me are the ultimate legends, I've grow up reading about these coasters, got the facts and figures and played them on RCT 2! Dan is driving :D, hes a very cautious driver... I'm sure he'll cope well!

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:53 am

Not really worth me coming really :lol: As i'd only be going for El Toro. Damned Launches!!! Plus i cant afford it!

Hope you guys have fun! :D will be interesting to hear your thoughts about kingda ka when i see you both next!

^^ CHris ^^
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

popTART
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:24 am

i'll go if i have a cash windfall :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bolton Warrior
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:16 pm

"AstroDan." wrote:
PMBO?

In fairness to BPB they do only state the is the tallest and fastest rollercoaster in Europe.

Still wrong even with that though :lol:

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:06 pm

"stigzy" wrote:
You can stick me down on the list Dan, I'll go with you old chap, oh wait yeeeah, duh I AM GOING...! Whoooop!

Ahh that sounds good newz then :D , it sounds pretty much what were aiming for. Though were going for a week, I'm positive we can cram it all in but just to query it how did you find it for two weeks, was it too long, too short?! Also, as much as I want to ride Kingdaka (not ryan) I am also easily sexually aroused at the thought of Nitro, El Toro, Rolling Thunder and espcially Medusa. Nitro and Medusa to me are the ultimate legends, I've grow up reading about these coasters, got the facts and figures and played them on RCT 2! Dan is driving :D, hes a very cautious driver... I'm sure he'll cope well!

I would suggest 3 days at SF and the rest in NY - when I went we crammed in Cedar Point too (it's only a 50 min flight to Cleveland from NY and thought of being so close to CP proved too much me, so I broke the bank!) Two weeks would not have been long enough at SF never mind the rest of it, just so much to do and see. Id say you would be aswell off getting a season pass for SF (think you can pick them up for around $80, it works out much better than the standard gate price).

Don't get me wrong, Kingda Ka is a good ride, it just didn't blow me away as much as I was expecting - I think they really have hit the limits of how far they can push the top speed of a ride without offering some form of windshield/new car design - you'll see what I mean. Nitro is stunning but the ride I fell in love with was El Toro, simply amazing - so smooth, fast and filled with air time. We purchased the flash pass gold in advance but when we arrived the queues weren't too bad anyway - think they peaked at around 45 mins (early August btw) - but this enabled us to get in as many rides as possible.

The ride I was most disappointed with was superman - other than the pretzel loop, I found Air to be much better. I wouldn't expect very much theming either - one thing the park really lacked, although this may have been improved with the addition of the new batman ride.

I would also go to the water park and safari on the site too - both were very enjoyable and also either included in or discounted by the AP.

On the driving - Id never driven in America before and coming out of NY is certainly not the best palace to start - having them huge f**k off trucks on either side of you can be really un-nerving! Slamming the brake on when going for the non-existent clutch is also bad practice :D

There isn't much I can say about NY it's self, it's just so brilliant and packed with things to do the best way to enjoy is just go exploring (and don't forget Coney Island!)

:D

DanB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks for the advice so far. We have plenty todo in the day but need more ideas for in the evening.

So far we have broadway planned, any suggestions?

Corkscrewed

Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:50 pm

can I just say guys, if your planning on getting in a show when your in NYC, check out "Wicked"

I saw it when it was at the victoria apollo in London. Oh my I've never seen such an amazing show before!! basically it's a musical, about the wicked witch of the east, from the wizard of oz, before she got squashed by a house ;) theres an amazing twist at the end as well!

more info here:
http://www.broadway.com/gen/Show.aspx?si=30434

or of course, avenue Q, (I've not seen it, but I've heard good things :D)
http://www.broadway.com/gen/Show.aspx?si=28765

both shows will be running when you visit :D

have fun guys, looking forward to your report on your return :D

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:51 pm

When we were at SF the park was open till 10, and by the time we got back to the hotel we were pretty much knackered - few bud lights and off to sleep!

In NY we managed to catch a baseball game (very cheap and excellent fun, even if you dont have a clue whats going on). It's worth just having a walk around at night, few bars, maybe catch a show and something to eat. I was lucky and managed to get tickets off a tout for a Beastie Boys show :D

Big Dave

Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:23 am

I want to go! Nah I think I might go next year. Also wana go New York pride me thinks :)

popTART
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:44 pm

i bet new york pride will be amazing

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:28 pm

Whatever floats your boat I guess :D

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:58 am

*bump*

We've pretty much sussed Great Adventure, seems to be quite easy to get to from New York. Though just to add to the mind boggleyness of organising things, we want to chuck Cedar Point in the whole equation too! However, getting from New York to Cedar Point near Sandusky, Ohio is prooving to be quite difficult in terms of A:Price B:length of time getting there!

There are cheapish flights available, but they take you around the world and back before landing at Sandusky. Direct flight prices are ridiculous. The other option is to go by bus, but for some reason the buses go extra slow as it takes about a day to get there from New York! So not good really... I don't seem to think its possible from what I've looked at so far and realistically don't think it is unless you stump up the cash or don't mind wasting a good 15 hours or so of your life sat on a bus.

But anyway I really wish it was possible so I'm sending out a plea for advice for anybody that would know. Perhaps more so Kingcriplet :D since well you've got the 'I've done that and been there t-shirt' and all!

Nick

Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:47 pm

Were you just planning on one day at Cedar Point? If so, you would have to get it on a good day. I've read many a time that if heavy rain/thunderstorms hit, then pretty much everything closes! If you were only having one day there, and a storm hit in the morning, it would probably ruin the day completely

(p.s. - i'm not jelous one bit :roll: )