UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Phantasialand & Toverland: 20-23 December

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:40 pm

On a relitavely last minute decision, myself, DanB, Kryn and Thomas are off to the delights of Phantasialand for three nights from 20th December. We will be staying at the new MATAMBA Hotel, and calling in for a few hours at Toverland, over the border in Holland, to sample Troy on the way back to the airport. We are hiring a car this time to make it simpler.

Flights were only £46.00 return inc. all charges, accomm is only €120 (£104)for three nights in the brand new hotel, and Phantasialand tickets are £16 for TWO DAYS! So yeah, pretty low cost by all accounts.

Schedule
16.55 Ryanair Birmingham -> Dusseldorf
19.30 Arrive Dusseldorf. Car Hire to Phantasialand.
21.30 Arrive Phantasialand. Accomm. Hotel MATAMBA

11.00 Phantasialand. Closes 20.00
Accomm. Hotel MATAMBA

11.00 Phantasialand. Closes 20.00
Accomm. Hotel MATAMBA

08.30 Leave Phantasialand
10.00 Toverland. Leave 13.30
16.00 Ryanair Dusseldorf -> Birmingham
16.30 Arrive Birmingham

Looking forward to posting pics and stuff on the return! All rides are open at Phantasialand except for RiverQuest.

:D

Anonymous

Re: Phantasialand Winter Dream: 20-23 December (+ Toverland)

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:13 pm

First time trip to both of these parks for me, so looking forward to it..

2 days before Christmas though .. must be bloody mad!!!

DanB
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Phantasialand Winter Dream: 20-23 December (+ Toverland)

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:14 pm

Looking forward to this now, especially getting a go on Troy

Just need to make sure i've got all my xmas presents sorted before i go as theres no way i am shopping on the 24th!

Stu
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Phantasialand & Toverland: 20-23 December

Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:39 pm

They have dragged me along..... kidnapped..... so yeah, TALLY TALLY!!...

Sazzle

Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:48 am

Hey! Danbini rang me last night for a quick, general chat, and they all seem to be having a fab time in Germany :). They're staying in Hotel Matamba over at PL, and Dan says although the place is amazing in terms of themeing and all the rest of it, the place noticably lacks atmosphere :( sounds very much the same as Ling Bao, IMO.

Queues are minimal, but the capacity is a bit pants - everything running one train, with Wuze Town closing around two hours before the rest of the park (6pm as opposed to 8pm).

What I'd give to sit in a hotel room, looking out of my window straight onto the Black Mamba loop.. *Sigh*. I can't say as I feel any sympathy for him having to listen to Celine Dion, though :lol:. How very 2007!
x

popTART
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Celine Dion being played in a German Hotel :lol:

She better have something to eat there or her heart wont go on :lol:

Anonymous

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:42 pm

Well.. First time visit for me to Phantasialand & Toverland.

Phantasialand
As much as I liked this park, it doesnt warrant the 2 whole days (11am-8pm) we was there, we did the park pretty much in 3/4 hours on day one, even though there was not many people there everything was running on low capacity especially Winjas which was doing a 90 second dispatch on the cars.

Favourite 2 rides here for me was Mystery Castle and Black Mamba, I really loved Mystery and Mamba IS better than Nemesis in a million ways.

The park is very clean, but lacks food outlets selling a variety of food which is a shame really. We stopped at Hotel Matamba - lovely African Tribe themed hotel but just has no atmosphere, even to the point where it probably becomes boring. Said that a nightly trip to the Dragon Bar in Ling Bao was certainally the better choice.

Toverland, Holland (aka. Ikea/Warehouse: The Park/Hangerland)What a strange little place! - Basically for those who dont know Toverland is a park enclosed into 2 large modern aircraft hangers with 2 Large coasters outside namely Troy (World #7 Mitch Hawker 2008) and Booster Bikes.

Not the cheapest of places at €19,50 (£19.00) to get in, this park is a 1/2 day park so dont go rushing off to Holland to do this without planning something else as well. Toverland is about a hour from Phantasialand and you would really need to drive it like we did, as both parks are not really central.

Inside the hangers, there are a lot of childrens assualt style attractions, a funhouse, swings, Junior Vekoma coaster, etc etc. Troy opened at 12pm and we managed to get 6/7 rides on this - Best Woodie Ive done for sure (sorry Megaphobia!! , your just not up to it.. and plus Toverland is nearer than Oakwood)

Such a fantastic few days with some good guys.. And besides the moaning it was a great place! In true Blackpool Guide style I present the end of report bits and bobs..

Highlights
Troy!
Mystery Castle
Erdinger Beer
Ling Bao Bar
Scoffing

Lowlights
Endless Bratwurst
Driving on the right at night on the Autobahn
Silver Mine

Funny Things
Smegma
Bog Brush Teeth
Meet My Mother
Mrs T Bumwell
Winding Astrodan up over Temple Of The Nighthawk (Concept)
Getting a headache from laughing at Astro reciting EP Parade Music
Ling Bao Peanuts
Snogging [-X
Revelations!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroDan

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Fab trip guys! I shall post more tomorrow when I am actually able to type properly!!!

Although I could kill a salad with prawns in a cocktail glass?

PETER MOWBRAY
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:03 pm

"kryn" wrote:
Well.. First time visit for me to Phantasialand & Toverland.

Phantasialand
As much as I liked this park, it doesnt warrant the 2 whole days (11am-8pm) we was there, we did the park pretty much in 3/4 hours on day one, even though there was not many people there everything was running on low capacity especially Winjas which was doing a 90 second dispatch on the cars.

Favourite 2 rides here for me was Mystery Castle and Black Mamba, I really loved Mystery and Mamba IS better than Nemesis in a million ways.

The park is very clean, but lacks food outlets selling a variety of food which is a shame really. We stopped at Hotel Matamba - lovely African Tribe themed hotel but just has no atmosphere, even to the point where it probably becomes boring. Said that a nightly trip to the Dragon Bar in Ling Bao was certainally the better choice.

Toverland, Holland (aka. Ikea/Warehouse: The Park/Hangerland)What a strange little place! - Basically for those who dont know Toverland is a park enclosed into 2 large modern aircraft hangers with 2 Large coasters outside namely Troy (World #7 Mitch Hawker 2008) and Booster Bikes.

Not the cheapest of places at €19,50 (£19.00) to get in, this park is a 1/2 day park so dont go rushing off to Holland to do this without planning something else as well. Toverland is about a hour from Phantasialand and you would really need to drive it like we did, as both parks are not really central.

Inside the hangers, there are a lot of childrens assualt style attractions, a funhouse, swings, Junior Vekoma coaster, etc etc. Troy opened at 12pm and we managed to get 6/7 rides on this - Best Woodie Ive done for sure (sorry Megaphobia!! , your just not up to it.. and plus Toverland is nearer than Oakwood)

Such a fantastic few days with some good guys.. And besides the moaning it was a great place! In true Blackpool Guide style I present the end of report bits and bobs..

Highlights
Troy!
Mystery Castle
Erdinger Beer
Ling Bao Bar
Scoffing

Lowlights
Endless Bratwurst
Driving on the right at night on the Autobahn
Silver Mine

Funny Things
Smegma
Bog Brush Teeth
Meet My Mother
Mrs T Bumwell
Winding Astrodan up over Temple Of The Nighthawk (Concept)
Getting a headache from laughing at Astro reciting EP Parade Music
Ling Bao Peanuts
Snogging [-X
Revelations!

I loved that report Kryn..
For the latest news and quality updates from Blackpool & The Pleasure Beach look here..
Click on the Domain..! [url=http://www.liveinblackpool.co.uk\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.liveinblackpool.co.uk[/url]

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Was a great trip, i can honestly say i pretty much loved every minute of it. :D

Not an awful lot to say after Marks post, plus im rather tiered. :P

AstroDan

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:13 pm

Well, here goes my "reviews" (slash TR...!).

Phantasialand

Our arrival at Hotel MATAMBA, the brand new African themed hotel at Phantasialand was met with much anticipation, at around 9.30pm on Saturday evening. We managed to park our car at the Digger Camp which meant we avoided the parking charge (yes, cars still have to pay even if they're staying in the hotels!).

We checked in to the room and settled in. The room was fantastic, I can honestly say it had the best view of any hotel I have ever stayed in - with Deep In Africa and the Black Mamba drop/loop in full view from the windows, and Talocan in the background. The room was similar in design to the Holiday Inn Chessington, with a smaller double bed for children and a larger doubled bed in the main area. Massive shower, and all tastefully decorated.

The hotel facilities are very limited. There is no pool in MATAMBA and the garden area outside is much smaller than the equivalent in Ling Bao. The bar, whilst nicely themed, has no atmosphere and is a little too regimented. It also closes fairly early (around 12.30am). The entrance area is really nice, although the main entrance is very underwhelming, with plain wooden doors. There is a tiny shop and the restaurant is located at the back, some walk from the entrance area.

Overall, I must confess to being somewhat dissapointed. I had hoped that with a second hotel, Phantasialand would begin to feel more of a resort. However, due to the lack of facilities that have been introduced, and the lack of a connected walkway or simple subway between the two hotels, it still lacks a lot that is required. The hotel lacks atmosphere, and, whilst this isn't a complete criticism, parts of it feel like a prison! It's very well themed yes, but sadly doesn't really get the juices flowing. Ling Bao remains my favourite hotel, mainly as I love the garden area and the bar, whilst dull compared to others, is better than MATAMBA.

As for the park, it mixes great theming with rides of all types. However, again, whilst Phantasialand remains one of my top 5 parks, the lack of attractions was evident from this visit. Whilst queues were generally under 20 minutes, two days is too much for this park if it isn't very busy. In reality, the only rides that we wanted to "re-ride" several times were Winjas, Talocan, Black Mamba, Mystery Castle and Colorado Adventure. The rest of the rides are either very average or downright dull (the dark rides are too long winded and lack any real effect/emotion). If the park is to move forward, they must ensure they get rid of the trash like Geister Rickshaw, Silbermine, Temple of the Night Hawk etc. and replace it with rides on the level of their world-class attractions such as Talocan. On the second day, we were frankly bored of the park and, even though we continued re-riding, the lack of attractions at the park was just so apparant.

I don't want to end on a low note though, as Phantasialand does offer some things that no other park does. Talocan is a fantastic ride (although the mist wasn't working) and Colorado Adventure in the dark is simply sensational, with long dark sections that you haven't a clue where you are going. Black Mamba on the front is better than Nemesis due to the awesome visuals, although I would say that on any other row, Nemesis is better as I personally find it more intense. Black Mamba is improving, however.

Toverland

We only had a few hours at this Metroland meets Flamingoland style park. It's not cheap, as Mark said, but it does have a couple of good attractions. The Mack log flume is unique with a reverser turntable, and Troy is a standout woodie. It's the best wooden coaster I have been on, and has gatecrashed my top 10 coasters. It is relentless in speed and offers airtime in abundance. However, now that I have finally ridden a modern, smooth wooden coaster, I can safely say that I do, overall, prefer steel coasters as the Wooden rollercoaster just lacks the intensity. However, if I was informed Alton Towers were getting a GCI Woodie, I would only be too pleased as it's a fantastic coaster!!

Other than that, Toverland isn't worth much mention - some cool aerial assault courses but the Booster Bike is slow and dull! Go to Flamingoland for one of these!

A park to watch however...

Overall a great break away before Christmas with great people, some fantastic rides and some nice Cocktails haaha!

The "quotes" I think Mark has covered, eh Mrs. T Bumwell?

DanB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:49 pm

Agree with all of the above in Dan & Kryns posts. A brilliant short break away.
I don't think i have ever been as drunk as i was on the first night in the Dragon Bar!

Looking forward to seeing the videos now..

Pics are up
[url=http://www.danbayliss.co.uk/gallery/201208pltl/" target="_blank]http://www.danbayliss.co.uk/gallery/201208pltl/[/url]

AstroDan

Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Great photo's, Dan!

KENNING?

DanB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:00 pm

I've given all my video clips to Kryn/Stu to use but heres a few clips of Astro having a sing along to EP & PL music. Right click and save target as to download.

Phantasialand Theme - 20Megs or Youtube Link
Europa Park Theme - 24Megs or Youtube Link
Europa Park Deine Momente - 22Megs or Youtube Link

Anonymous

Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:06 am

Little video of Phantasialand. Will do Toverland when I get around to it...

[url=http://hosting.cryptart.com/Phan08.wmv" target="_blank]http://hosting.cryptart.com/Phan08.wmv[/url]