UK theme parks from another point of view!

popTART
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Miniature Meeting - Blackpool & Camelot? 20th/21st June

Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:17 am

I know what you mean i was up at 5am. On my way to preston.

Anonymous

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:10 am

STD is late! - Well his train was "cancelled" hmmmm. Anyway yeah we are leaving at 9.10am now. phhftttt!.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:19 am

I'm feeling a little better although still some discomfort though but I will be there. :)
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

chr1s
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Enjoy your meet to everyone who's gone! :)
Pepsi is better than Coke!! \":P\"

Kaycee

Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:37 pm

I shall be bringing my increasingly ample backside to Camelot tomorrow after learning today that I have the day off! See you tomorrow!

Hark

Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:41 am

Hope everyone's having a good time!

May I just say Charnock Richard is my 2nd favourite services in the UK a close second to Oxford "Rippeh Fountain" Services off the M40

Craig

Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:53 pm

No Camelot for me today so thought I'd make a quick post :D. Arrived back at 2:30am this morning after an brilliant time at Blackpool. Just low points and high points for me since I can't be bothered writing too much :P

Low Points
- Staff attitude still, shall we put it a little too blunt and not really customer friendly.
- Security being more difficult to get through than entering the US.
- Goldmine, Rollercoaster and Noah's Ark being shut.
- Ghost Train cycling skeletons not working
- Valhalla's water vortex still not working - nice to see the fire on the arrows though!

High Points
- PMBO running fairly decent. Yes, I do have a bit of a soft spot for the ride :P
- Successfully doing Valhalla with a ponchp and coming off pretty much dry as a bone.
- Angus 6 packs back at BK - woo yay!
- The new ticket hall is far more efficient than the previous way. Not sure how it copes ona busy day since yesterday was relatively quiet though?
- The new fountains are great, spoilt a little by the wind earlier but when its calm they're decently timed to the music and attract quite a crowd!
- Loving the costume character from Beaver Creek coming along to the fountains. Was also hilarious to see him stood in the middle of the fountains, then realising the shows about to start runs like hell outta there :P.
- DanB and his total non-understanding of the difference between a crepe and a waffle.
- Stu being pushed into the fountains and getting far wetter (and injured!) than Mark expected.
- Vik's double seen at the bar at Bean Street.
- Dan and Stu being champagne quaffing whores. No matter what you drink, you're still in Blackpool!
- Slimer on the Ghost Train and his new friend of a pigeon nest in his mouth. Cue gasps as it moved over the ride cars, with people wondering whether they'd end up with a lovely chunk of bird poop on their heads.
- McDonalds night club, the one opposite of Central Pier loves playing music in the restaraunt at ridiculously loud levels - was awesome.
- Breakdance on the pier superb as usual, made even more hilarious with Stu's screaming.

And that's pretty much it that I can remember. The Blackpool meets have to be one of my absolute favourites of the year. Despite the general skankyness of the place, there are some improvements being made and the place still has a that "something" about it. The seafront is starting to take shape and is looking pretty good, when its eventually done (it seems to have been going on for absolutely ages) it should look brilliant. They just need to sort out the shop fronts etc on the other side of the road now, some of them look so ridiculously 70's!

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:38 pm

May I just say Charnock Richard is my 2nd favourite services in the UK a close second to Oxford "Rippeh Fountain" Services off the M40

Its also a handy little shortcut back on to the M6 after a day a Camelot.

Had a great time over the weekend. Was pleasantly surprised by Camelot. Whirlwind is a great spinning coaster. While it looks very run down and rather crude, it is indeed quite good. Some great spinning, and a forceful first drop. Probably rate it above Spinball, although it is obviously much less pleasing on the eye, although Spinballs hardly photogenic. :D

Knightmare is a great coaster as well. Smooth and rough sort of sums it up. Found the most forceful part of the train to be the middle. Seem to kick some G's there :P . Back seems surprisingly tame.

Still not enough to keep you there for a full day, but a great park to get in lots of re-rides if you wanted to. I do hope this isn't Camelots last season. This was my first visit for 20 years nearly, and while not a patch on what it was back then, it is not as run down as I expected to be.

Mandys Beach of Pleasure never fails to amuse. The red train on the Grand National is so slow. It was just turning in to the home straight when the green one hit the first brakes. It did improve later on in the day, almost giving the green one a run for its money just before closing time, then having to have a push back in to the off load station.

Staff are a mixed bag. Some are great, especially those in Beaver Creek. But other just blatantly have the 'I hate my life' look on them, and couldn't even manage to raise a smile, just the odd grunt, which I think meant 'make your way on to the ride. Others were down right rude. I overheard a few talking, sorry, shouting at some guests,(not in our group). Which is nothing short of rude, and completely unacceptable, whatever the reasons behind it.

Was impressed the the new ticket hall. Very modern, clean and spacious. Fountains are good too, shame I didn't see the full show, only managing to see the last couple of minutes a few times.

The nesting pigeon in Slimer on the ghost train, that pooped, and just missed Sharon & Judes car. Everyone then praying they were not next.

Stopped in the South Prom travelodge. Basic, and clean. Though the rooms in the new travelodges are getting smaller and smaller every time, and at the current rate, it wont be long before they are the size of prison cells :P .

Maccy D's near the North Pier must be one of the best ones I've visited. More like a night club than a Maccys, with the thumping tunes playing, and everyone boogying along. :P
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Kaycee

Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:19 pm

Thanks for the great day! :D Camelot was OK for a few hours, but it was you guys I went to see! Enjoyed the Trafford Centre too! Still exhausted from my fight with Ray!

x

Joel

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:23 pm

"Vik" wrote:
Maccy D's near the North Pier must be one of the best ones I've visited. More like a night club than a Maccys, with the thumping tunes playing, and everyone boogying along. :P

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud4hAY9zNNA" target="_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud4hAY9zNNA[/url]

First video snippet. Must compose the rest into an actual video! :D

popTART
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Well i enjoy the north meets better getting away from Alton Towers and going somewhere else hehe. I got to Mandy's beach nice and early sat even though the weather was hit and miss it was still a good day even though Rollercoaster and Gold Mine wasn't opening that day i do like Rolleroaster. PMBO was still alright as usual not a patch on the other same type of coasters but i still like it. The back car is just insane it literally throws you everywhere on the first drop. I did like the new modern ticket centre no que's in and out with my wristband lets see how they cope on packed days. The fountains yet not as good as Hotel Colosseo in Germany still quite good with me falling on my arse while water slapping and stu getting chucked in :lol: It was nice to go round with some people that hadn't been to it in years or not at all to see their opinions as badger didn't rate PMBO at all haha. I was very glad i got the green train everytime on Nashy the first big drops are just madness getting flung up down left right was insane but i loved it. Infusion was still ok wouldn't rate it highly. Other rides like Steeplechase, Big Dipper, Valhalla etc was still as good as ever. I for one like the others was not impressed with the staff at BPB they were rude, miserable and weird the guy on the log flume was well weird. They don't really seem to care and seem to loathe the place they work and i doubt Mandy cares.

The night time disco in Macdonalds was random but funny seeing cute guy dressed up as a fireman we all had to put Stu tongue back in his mouth for that one :lol:

Camelot on the sunday was good but like other people have said you don't need a whole day unless you like loads of re-rides. Whirlwind gives Spinball Whizzer a run for its money the layout better even though it looks more older i still rate it higher than Spinball. Nightmare was as good as ever the Physco drop is fantastic so is the last helix but it was having a bit of PMT today with riders stuck on the lifthill but nevermind.

Overall a good meet up again

Highlights

Being tickled abused throughout the meet up by Astrodan more so in the rivercaves
Hammerfights in Camelot
Bashed around on PMBO and Nashy
Macdonalds Nightclub
Southpier fair and magic show afterwards
Seeing Vik's twin
Stu being pushed in the fountain by Mark.

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:57 pm

I remeber saying to some of you yesterday that PMBO is always struggling in the wind or closed when TTF are on park. Funnily enough, once again it happened, as today PMBO was flying, no wind so it was running really well, I am just a little disappointed it wasnt like that on Saturday for those of you who dont get to go on it very often.

I had an alright weekend, it was good to meet up with TTF again after not seeing some of you for a long time. :)
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:46 pm

***DAY 1 MANDY LAND***

I had a great time this weekend despite me being a bit off on Sat with my stomach.

I avoided many of the really jolty rides which meant no Nash for me or Dipper. Was great seeing many of you again and just what I needed although the setting was Mandy Land it was a great laugh Saturday.

The park wasn't busy for a Sat and queues were kept bellow ten mins which was okay I suppose I would like to see it more busy peek season so more money can be invested.

Was nice this visit to speak with Sam & Mash more and they're great guys, was fun seeing Mash's reaction to the newer Mandy Land attractions including front row of Infusion with him.

Lots of usual randomness which Is staple with any TTF meet and Dan was on form as usual with the loudness and Barnes's.

Rides were okay as per, although I was impressed with the speed on Infusion it seems to have had a kick up the backside this season despite the wind it was really quite forceful. PMBO was okay and nice to get my adrenaline fix.

Highlights

Water fountain fun including two comedy slips.
Viks mysterious twin brother, photographic bellow.
Barnesing.
Me and Nick making everything sound sexual, "Mmmmm Vibrating Column"
Making Mark & Ryn happy by offering to look after Hardy for 6 months :)
Drink in the Big Blue & Seeing DanB's cot he was to sleep in.
The usual randomness.
Breaking the River Caves.
River Caves's new makeover.

Lowlights

My stomach being a bitch all day.
Valhalla on diet mode.
Paying £30 for Mandy Land.
Gold Mine CLOSED!

Some pics from the day

Intense flying machines for some

Nash time, not for me though.

If you're up there all day, you'd crap yourself an all.

Inappropriate ghoul boob grab shocker!

Some mouse reactions, Sams being the best as its his first time. :lol:

Viks mysterious twin Brother

River Caves

They broke it of course

Mustache man's Avalanche sparked an outbreak in sexual reactions

Wetness Barnes

Fashion disaster Barnes

We rode in Alice's Pussy, some enjoyed it, others didn't.

Group Shots

**DAY 2 CAMELOT**

Again another good day here too, Not really a full days worth but still a good four hours and we'd racked (CLOSED!) up quite a good ride count.

Knightmare has gotten rougher since last year but still a great ride and Whirlwind just keeps getting better for me. Superb coaster!

Staff were hit and miss, some pleasent some looked like they wanted to throw themselves at the rides instead of op them. Food was better as we opted for the lesser priced Fish & Chips & Pie & Chips a reasonable £5.70 for a full meal as oppose to Whimpys £7 grease fest.

Agree with the sentiments above that I'd hate to see it go, but it does need a good injection of cash for some new attractions as it's just not that well rounded as a full day. We left around 3pm as were many people.

Highlights

Free entry thanks to Mash, cheers. :wink:
Scaring Mark on the kiddies Ghost Train :twisted:
Whirlwind, great ride.
Cod, Kaycee, Saz & Ray joining us today.
The mysterious Log Flume picking it's victims wisely.
My stomach being much better today allowing me for a more relaxing day.
Food being better than last visit.

Lowlights

Dans toxic arse!
My stomach hurting again after Joel punched it. :x
iFaff on Farce Book & Twatter all day licking each others Blackcurrent & ifaffs

Some MORE pictures (Hides from TTF Team) 8-[

Full TTF train on Knightmare

Whirlwind by far! produced the best reactions from the whole weekend.

Pendragons Plunge

The aforementioned iFaff. Status Twatter :"Im in de cue for teh nightmare"

De ja vouz?

And finally group Photee

Thanks for the laughs and great company, may not see you guys till Scarefest now but we'll see. Cheers again for a great weekend. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Spike on Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

Kaycee

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:08 am

Love the photos from both days! :lol: Epic. :D Thanks Spike.

Also, nice to meet Matt aka mattmash! :D

Alex

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:36 am

"Kaycee" wrote:
Thanks for the great day! :D Camelot was OK for a few hours, but it was you guys I went to see! Enjoyed the Trafford Centre too! Still exhausted from my fight with Ray!

x

I live near trafford centre, it seems to be turning into a little resort of its own ;]

Anonymous

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:53 am

Fantastic Photos there Spike!

We its all been written now, amazing weekend! - Thanks to Joel for coming up with the meet. Blackpool has really started to look good all of a sudden, the beach front is looking nice with the current building works being carried out.

The pleasure beach has changed a lot since last year, the new Gourmet Burger area looks very impressive as does the new fountain display. I was also very impressed with the refurbishment of River Caves.

Highlights:-

Camelot Hammer Time
The Coral Island Ghost Train (amazing)
Getting to go on south pier for the 1st time!
The Magic act in the south pier bar
Spike & Ste offering a home for my cat for 6 months :D
Speed camera flashing on the prom
Mcdonalds Blackpool Rave with them sluts.
Stu going in the fountains (sorry mate, I know I hurt you, but now its funny)
Meeting members of Freundeskreis Kirmes and Freizeitparks in Big Blue
The Cot Beds for Stu & Dan - Never again hey guys?
DanB`s Bus ****** on the Prom - Swear to god the funniest thing on that meet by far
My nakedness in the room (I swear to god them photos better never come out)
Fast Infusion!
Vik 2

Too much more to add:- Anyway photos are on facebook and please find below 3 video clips of the mentioned above highlights.

Speed Camera on the Prom: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKMt1E7ECNk" target="_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKMt1E7ECNk[/url]
Stu & Dan in Mcdonalds: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaSoKRqt01c" target="_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaSoKRqt01c[/url]
Camelot Hammer Time: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fl7lpWAXZ8" target="_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fl7lpWAXZ8[/url]

*Above videos are streaming so just click and watch :D

Crofty

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:19 am

"Joel""][quote=""Vik" wrote:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud4hAY9zNNA" target="_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud4hAY9zNNA[/url]

First video snippet. Must compose the rest into an actual video! :D[/quote]

That’s my new favourite Meet up video. :D

Mattmash
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:08 pm

It's all been pretty well covered but I had an amazing time both in Blackpool and at Camelot. Was great getting to know you all better and meeting loads of people I hadn't seen/ spoken to before. This was my first visit to Blackpool in eight years and my first ever visit to Camelot so there were plenty of new rides for me too, thanks Spike for letting me have the 'good' seats, guiding me through Valhalla and treating me to front row Infusion. :)

Camelot was better than expected - Knightmare just about lived up to my expectations and Whirlwind was great. Even the Dragon coaster was pretty cool. Excalibur was just pure evil though lol. Admittedly they could do with quite a few more rides as we had easily covered the park in a few hours.

Loving the pictures and vids that are being posted!

Highlights

Basically what everyone else has said:-
McDonalds rave, speed camera fun, fountain incidents (sorry Stu!), hammer fights, breaking River Caves, Vik's brother etc.

Meeting loads of new people and getting to know others better.
Avalanche - I swear it never used to be that fast!
Airtime bruises from back row Big Dipper, painful but awesome!
Loads of new rides for me, Valhalla was cool and Infusion was surprisingly smooth and fast.
Breakdance on South Pier, though maybe not straight after stuffing myself with McD's....
Really good B&B

Lowlights

Losing my chain (an 18th birthday present), on Breakdance I think.
Smashing my shin into the front of the car on Wild Mouse - I have a huge bruise lol.
Evil, evil log flume at BPB - was still wet when we got to the hotel some 4-5 hours later.
Taking my camera and not taking a single picture. #-o

The highlights heavily out weighed the lowlights though! :D See you all again soon! :D

badger

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Well, all of my worries came to nothing.

The day started early, and we were soon on the M6 heading north. Breakfast at Charnock Richards with Dan, Dan and Stu; followed by a Rammstein feuled entry into Blackpool.
Parking attendant was very polite, as were the staff in the new ticket and information centre. Entry into Mandy's was a little 'over the top', but helped to highten the expectations of the day to follow.
The ride count soon started to rise and it wasn't long before we were queuing for the BIG ONE. Hearing so much about it from friends at work, I was really looking forward to seeing if it was as good as predicted. The lift hill gave great views over the area and the initial drop was quiet exciting, but not much happened after that. It felt to me rather like Rita, where you start quiet promising but then not much else happens. At least it was a decent length. Joel cheered me up on our second ride, engaging his usual high jinx. Very funny....
I enjoyed Vahalla very much, even the lovely ride station. The fountains added a bit of fun, as did the incident with the boat in the River Caves. I had a little trouble on the Mouse with Poptart, or at least parts of me had trouble, and a nesting pigeon on the Ghost train made things a little more scary.
I have a lovely bruise from the Grand National and lots of lovely memories of a super day out. I'm sorry that we could not stay for the whole weekend but work commitments called us back. But I look forward to future oysters and champaign.
Till we meet again....

:clap:

Dagan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:41 pm