UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Europa-Park & PortAventura: 8 - 17 August 2009

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:51 pm

As some of you are aware, myself, Stu, Saz, DanB, Ray & Emma will be heading over to visit Europa-Park, Barcelona, Tarragona & PortAventura from 8th - 17th August as follows:

Meet at EP
Beach Party @ EP

9-11.8.09
EP

Early flight from Basel to Barcelona
Tarragona Visit

PA

Barcelona Visit

Caribe Aquatic Park
PA

PA

Return Home.

We will be staying in Log Cabins at EP's Tipi Village and at a central hotel on the Placa de la Font in Tarragona for the trip.

If anyone has any PortAventura tips, please do share these! Dan and Stu have been before, but not in the last few years - so any advice would be greatly appreciated! The park is open from 10am until midnight which would seem plenty of time to experience everything!

:D

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Europa-Park & PortAventura: 8 - 17 August 2009

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:35 pm

I've been to PortAventura a couple of times in August.
First time in 2007 for 2 nights, so 2.5 days on park. More than enough time to do everything minus the waterpark.
Never saw more than 25 mins queue for Dragon Khan, the only big queue was for Furius Baco. I think it having some breakdowns and kept opening late, but mid afternoon seemed to be the best time.
Park was also open till midnight, Dragon Khan and Stampida were walk on pretty much when it was dark. They have pretty good throughputs I think.
My main tip is brace yourself for Stampida, it rattles your bones! Oh and Tomohawk is a decent little woodie too!
Last year I had 4 nights at the end of the summer and it was very chilled, spent half a day at the waterpark, and a bit of time lounging around the hotel pools.
Great park. Have fun.

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Gutted I cant go to the beach party again! :cry: Loved it last year!

Hope you have a good time! I've never done Port Aventura so you'll have to let me know what it's like. :P
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:37 pm

We went to Salou for 10 days in early July last year and spent a fair bit of time at PA. Personally I'd say either do Furius Baco first thing when you go in or leave it until fairly late (say about 8-9ish) as this is when it was quieter - queues were frequently in excess of 90 mins during the day! Its the pretty much the first ride when you come in so people seem to flock there.

I'd also try and do the water rideas fairly early on in the day, maybe before lunch as these get some pretty insane queues too - all of them are certainly worth a ride though.

Everything else had pretty minimal queues when we were there (20-25 mins tops) so I doubt you would have much problem fitting everything in, especially with the park open untill midnight. Hurukan Condor is a certainly an experience first time round :shock: :wink:

The theming in the park is absolute top notch, at least on level with EP in my opinion. If you get chance the shows are deff worth watching, make an effort to see the show in Polynesia at night and the Fiesta Ventura one around the main lake last thing. I'd reccommend trying sit on the wall around the lake for the best view, somewhere near the entrance - you'll see what I mean when you get there! The park is fully licesned aswell so get a few beers in for the show - the Estrella Dam is brilliant stuff [-o<

PA also has it's own train station and I'm pretty sure the trains run there from where you are staying, if not the walk from Salou station is not that bad.

I'll try to remember anything else you might wanna know too! :)

TenZero
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Do not miss Furius Baco, I'd say it's the best launched coaster I've been on. The sheer speed of the launch..wow, then speeding down into the first corner. It's bumpy, but amazing.

AstroDan

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Yes - it's hard to make sense of Furius Baco! Looks really fast, but not a lot seems to happen... however travelling solidly at 80mph or so must be pretty crazy. FB must have one of the highest "average" speeds of any rollercoaster in the world. Should be good!

:)

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:47 pm

Try and get inside seats towards the front for FB. The vibration on the outer seats can be bad.
My first ride was front row inside. Amazing. All other rides have been varied, but it is very fast throughout, and the direction changes are quite crazy.
Dragon Khan is my favourite ride there. You cant beat a B&M, even a fairly old one that is quite rough. The Zero G is superb.

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:52 pm

Gotta say I found FB to be painfully rough on certain seats, esp. the outside ones. Alrthough the roll near the end in the outer seats is pretty damn good :)

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:54 am

Sound exciting, hope you have fun!

If you want tips for PortAventura, make sure you do Huarkian Condor around 9:00 when it just starts to get dark. The ride is fantastic at sun-set, and on my visit, it seemed to have a smaller queue at night than at day. I'd recomend Dragon Khan front row, I rode both back and front on my visit and the front provides fantastic views! Furious Baco wasn't quite open when I visited, so report back as I'm visiting myself in a few weeks.

However, the biggest PortAventura trip I can give you is to have fun. :D :D :D

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:20 pm

I went at a similar time last year and it was pretty packed in PA - consider fast tracks! (at least for one of your days)

And - consider a half day or day in tibidabo....

Stu
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm

Wooo just started to pack now... not long now... cant wait! also got a new 8GB card for my cam...
Awww soo looking forward to this holiday, mainly just coz it's a holiday also. not theme park theme park theme park.. going to be some ace times out shopping/ beach / water park and the night times -YEAH!!! haha.

Anonymous

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:10 pm

"Mr Stu" wrote:
not theme park theme park theme park..

5 days out of 8 theme park theme park theme park (2 of them 8 days are travel days)

:D :D

Crofty

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:08 pm

"caffeine_demon" wrote:
I went at a similar time last year and it was pretty packed in PA - consider fast tracks! (at least for one of your days)

Yeah, I was thinking this. In May the park was very quiet but on the weekend it was totally unbelievable. Since then I know of Two familys who have come back (One in June and one in July and from what they said it sounds like it was just as bad but for the whole week.

If its really busy then I'd head straight for Condor at the back of the park and work anti - clockwise. Don't be fooled by the FB queue, theres a massive cattle pen at the top of the hill so if the queue is coming out of the building and winding down the hill then i'd leave well alone until later. :)
The waterpark has a maximum capacity of around 5000 so it might be an idea to get in early and go to the park later as it cools down a bit.

:D :D

AstroDan

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:31 pm

I am expecting PA to be dire in terms of queue's compared to EP. But I am ready for it.

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:48 pm

As long as you are prepared for it, you will be fine.
With such long park opening hours, just take it easy and enjoy the place. Its a beautiful park.
Seriously though, I have visited twice in August and only really saw substantial queues for Baco and HC, and only at certain times of the day. Never queued more than 30 mins myself. Seems to be becoming more popular with the Brits now though, so this season could be a lot busier.

chr1s
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:19 am

Have a great time guys, as ye all can tell I can green with envy!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pepsi is better than Coke!! \":P\"

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:14 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
I am expecting PA to be dire in terms of queue's compared to EP. But I am ready for it.

I dont think it will be too bad, it gets substantially quieter after say 9ish and the rides are open till midnight, although I think they shut the queue a bit earlier for FB when I was there. It's cool just to have a wander around at night anyway, admire the theming without being cooked alive and with a nice cool beer :D

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:46 pm

It's not dire, if you manage your day right. Crofty's right, first thing always peg it to Hurakan Condor while the queues are short. Go to Baco last. After Condor it really doesn't matter, but here are a few tips:

1. When busy, look out for PortAventura express kiosks, your park ticket will normally get you one express ride per day. Just approach the kiosk of the ride you wish to express pass and it'll go from there. NOTE: Furius Baco & Hurakan Condor do not run express. Several paid options are also available costing between 3 and 60 euros which do include these rides as well as the others. Otherwise it is limited to one free express pass a day.

2. Hurakan Condor has a single rider queue, but you can only join it 2/3 of the way through the main line, in my experience, unless the line is completely empty it's a waste of time. PortAventura staff ask riders if they would like a single rider in their car and most say no. Making it pointless, also you won't get a choice of sit down, stand up etc.

3. If it's very hot, it's good to know all shops and shows that are inside are air conditioned and also most queues are shaded.

4. Unless you are with a child, you won't be allowed to ride most children's rides. The staff have been known to stop entry to Tami-Tami the kids/family coaster to those without kids as it is classed as a kids attraction. Unless the queue is short don't bother with the risk.

5. Queue time boards are located at every major ride's entrance.

Enjoy your day, any questions PM me.

Are you thirsty?

Stampida Joe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:20 pm

I've recently spent a week's stay at PortAventura at the hotel, and here are a few things i noticed:

- Furius Baco queue always seems to get much, much shorter between 3pm and 4pm, not sure why but this seemed to be the case every day

- Far West and Mexico areas open at 10am, but the rest of the park opens later (11am most days i think, but always later than the other areas)

- Furius Baco queue line shuts at 10:30pm every night due to the lake show

- Grand Canyon Rapids also closes at 10:30 for the same reason

- Tutuki Splash (the big water ride) always becomes walk-on once it gets dark but it does shut at 10pm

Express (PortAventura fastrack) is available on the following rides:

- Dragon Khan
- Stampida
- Grand Canyon Rapids
- Silver River Flume
- Tutuki Splash
- Sea Oddyssey
- Tami Tami

Not sure about what Coke said about Tami Tami not allowing adults on. I've never witnessed that and since it's now become one of the Express rides, i think that's now unlikely to be the case anymore.
The Ghost of the sea, the Ghost of the sea

Mattmash
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Have a great time all of you! Expecting lots of sexy photos, which I'm sure there will be. :D